Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this goes through, that'll be pretty much all she wrote on this subject - might as well close this topic down.

Quebec City to build new arena as lure for NHL and Olympics

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/hock...a.ap/index.html

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised to see other Canadian cities capable of supporting an NHL team build new arenas, especially considering the struggles of teams like Phoenix, Nashville, New York (Islanders) and Atlanta. I suspect others may follow suite. Didn't Winnipeg recently build a new one as well?

Theo beat me to the post. And yes, Winnipeg did build an arena a few years ago, but they built it too small as the MTS Centre only holds 15k people or so. Quebec deserves another team, it'd be a shame if we lose out because we sat on our hands for 20 years before building an arena...

I don't mind Quebec getting their team back. I remember the Nordiques leaving for Colorado ... and then winning the Stanley Cup their first season in Denver. As bitter as that must have been for the fans in QC, at least they stand a great chance at getting back in the NHL. The fan support during the last few seasons was very good, if I remember correctly.

Hartford needs to put itself into position to get a franchise. Build a new arena like Kansas City has and if Atlanta, NY Islanders, etc., go under, Hartford stands a chance to get the Whalers back.

The islanders are not and will not "go under"

the owner of the team charlie wang is more than a little rich, and unlike many team owners, he is not just rich because of his ownership stake (that can not be liquidated) in "computer associates" (his company).

before he took it public, and even for a while afterword, he was the highest paid executive in the world. year after year he paid himself big bucks. I recall reading about a 248Million year, but now Ill gave to google it. I do know that he built his own building at his and my alma matter (stonybrook) for $50 mill.

So besides just owning a huge chunk of CA, he was paid well in excess of a billion dollars in even just a 4 year period.

So the only way the isles go under is if Wang sells the team.

but I gues thats kind of off topic ehh.

so what do you guys think the odds are of the arena happening here?

I mean the league is definately going through changes much like it did back in 96 as teams moved out of traditional markets, and the league signed huge tv contracts expecting to become one of the big sports.

as of right now the candaian cities are definately fighting back, and amazingly european and russian leagues are "stealing" players and attention back.

will the NHL remain the top league for hockey in the world, and will it be head and shoulders above the others, or will hockey end up like soccer, and each country will have its own league several of them very successful.

I guess time will tell, but I do hope Hartford plays a roll in the future of the NHL

I'd love to have Hartford back in the NHL. I think the Islanders' owner is trying to get the new arena and is trying to play some hardball to get what he wants, including threatening to move the team. The Islanders stand a better chance of moving than going bankrupt. We'll wait and see for the new arena deal to move forward in Nassau.

• 2 weeks later...

One of these teams has to be willing to pack it up and move eventually - that was always a stupid team name - get an arena built here already!

Are Blue Jackets on thin ice in Ohio?

November 6, 2009

Columbus may have trouble holding on to the Blue Jackets because the club has been losing $12 million a year in central Ohio, according to a report released by a business group. The report commissioned by the Columbus Chamber offers a variety of options for strengthening the team’s financial position, such as new taxes or fees or selling shares to other investors or the general public. Other suggestions include allowing the team to renegotiate its lease for Nationwide Arena or trying to attract a second major tenant, such as a basketball team. Now in their ninth season, the Blue Jackets qualified for the playoffs for the first time last year, losing in the first round to the Red Wings

This one I find a bit more interesting.

Is Ohio "Hockey Country"

You would think that it might be because at least its not hot there, but after 9 years, they are still failing it seems. I am sure there is a lot more info out there about the real issues, but I do know that the city itself is just a little larger than Hartford and is smaller than "Hartford-Springfield" It has a much smaller corporate presence too. But it is currently supporting professional soccer, NHL Hockey, and Ohio State Football.

I think the league was hoping for one team to represent the entire Ohio market.

Reality is that Ohio is a football state with the browns, bengals and buckeyes. It is very hard to compete with Ohio State

Colombus has supported its soccer team pretty well over the years though, and obviously baseball works in Cleveland and Cinci.

Now that I think about it Colombus became a professional sports team only 14 years ago with the soccer team, and then added NHL 9 years ago. The other 2 pro cities have had teams for quite a while are are much larger places.

We really do need a new arena, but I think we need a team in hand first. I mean random buyer could buy the blue jackets, and move them in 2-3 years when the new arena is finished.

This one I find a bit more interesting.

Is Ohio "Hockey Country"

You would think that it might be because at least its not hot there, but after 9 years, they are still failing it seems. I am sure there is a lot more info out there about the real issues, but I do know that the city itself is just a little larger than Hartford and is smaller than "Hartford-Springfield" It has a much smaller corporate presence too. But it is currently supporting professional soccer, NHL Hockey, and Ohio State Football.

I think the league was hoping for one team to represent the entire Ohio market.

Reality is that Ohio is a football state with the browns, bengals and buckeyes. It is very hard to compete with Ohio State

Colombus has supported its soccer team pretty well over the years though, and obviously baseball works in Cleveland and Cinci.

Now that I think about it Colombus became a professional sports team only 14 years ago with the soccer team, and then added NHL 9 years ago. The other 2 pro cities have had teams for quite a while are are much larger places.

We really do need a new arena, but I think we need a team in hand first. I mean random buyer could buy the blue jackets, and move them in 2-3 years when the new arena is finished.

I think we need a new arena regardless of whether we get a new pro team or not. Attendance at UConn games in Hartford is not where it should or would be if we had a new arena. We need to build something that at the very least maximizes the investments that the state has made supporting UConn athletics and build upon what has made it a staple to Greater Hartford sports fans. The XL Center is truly an uncomfortable building to attend an event in and that is just not good for us as a city or a region. That's not good for concerts or even the wolfpack. We need to build new and we need to build it right and we should honestly get started while the construction industry is down. We need to build it to last for another 30 years assuming we don't get a pro team. That means it should seat approx. 20k and be a fitting primary arena for Greater Hartford and all of CT.

A little off topic:

I don't know about you guys, but I am really enjoying seeing the hurricane's get spanked. :yahoo::rofl::P:D

Kings extend Hurricanes’ winless streak to 13

By JOEDY McCREARY, AP Sports Writer Nov 11, 10:29 pm EST

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Leave it to the new guy to show the Los Angeles Kings how to finish.

Randy Jones(notes) had a goal and an assist in his debut with the Kings, and Los Angeles beat Carolina 5-2 on Wednesday night to extend the Hurricanes’ winless streak to 13..............

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gid=2009111107&prov=ap

The last Whaler to play on the Hurricanes was Glen Wesley. Within 3 years, there were more former Whalers on the Philadelphia Flyers than there were on the Hurricanes, there certainly hasn't been a reason to root for them in forever 9or ever, in my opinion)...

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Brass Bonanza, you're quoted in this article (kind of old). http://memphis.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2009/05/11/editorial1.html

Interestingly if the Whaler's stayed and the State built a new arena, I doubt the team would of lost more money here compared to Raleigh. Oh well I hate both the bruins and the hurricanes. Although I've always had a soft spot for the Montreal Canadians.Hmmm? Maybe it's because there a much more classier team coming from a true hockey town.

• 4 weeks later...

Not loving this idea:

The Whalers are back in Connecticut.

The fledgling Federal Hockey League's Danbury franchise has been introduced as the Whalers, a direct nod to the team that left Hartford 12 years ago. The franchise will pay homage to the NHL Whalers with green and blue as the team colors and a similar logo to the Hartford team. The FHL is scheduled to begin play in November 2010 and four franchises are set: Danbury, Ottawa, Rome, N.Y., and Thousand Islands, N.Y. More Northeast-based franchises are expected to be added.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-danburywhalers1231.artdec31,0,6833279.story

Not loving this idea:

The fledgling Federal Hockey League's Danbury franchise has been introduced as the Whalers, a direct nod to the team that left Hartford 12 years ago. The franchise will pay homage to the NHL Whalers with green and blue as the team colors and a similar logo to the Hartford team. The FHL is scheduled to begin play in November 2010 and four franchises are set: Danbury, Ottawa, Rome, N.Y., and Thousand Islands, N.Y. More Northeast-based franchises are expected to be added.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-danburywhalers1231.artdec31,0,6833279.story

Your link doesn't work.

Not loving this idea:

http://www.courant.c...rs1231.artdec31,0,6833279.story

I would be more than happy if this were Hartford bringing back the Whalers, but bringing them back in Danbury? And in a brand new (most likely to fail) minor league team doesnt help either. I do like the new emblem but dont like that there is a Whalers team in Connecticut but not in Hartford. It doesnt help the cause of bringing them back for real. We shouldnt worry much tho, as Danbury teams dont stay for longer than a year anyway.

Along these lines ... I wish the local colleges/ universities would set up a Connecticut (Nutmeg State) Hockey tournament. We have UConn, Yale, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart...and others? It just seems like this would be a good idea, modeling it along the lines of the Beanpot in Boston. Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Howard Baldwin is still hanging around and it sounds as if he wants to take over the Wolf Pack and have an AHL version of the Whalers in CT. I guess this could be kind of interesting if we end up with two minor league hockey teams named after the Whalers.

Hartford Courant

Howard Baldwin has taken serious steps toward taking over management of the AHL franchise in Hartford. That's what our sources are telling us.

Yet the bigger truth needs no unnamed sources: Baldwin never did step away from this pursuit and he has never stopped dreaming big dreams. So the end game here could be more than a minor league hockey team and, no, I'm not only talking about a major league hockey team.

Howard Baldwin is still hanging around and it sounds as if he wants to take over the Wolf Pack and have an AHL version of the Whalers in CT. I guess this could be kind of interesting if we end up with two minor league hockey teams named after the Whalers.

Hartford Courant

Howard Baldwin has taken serious steps toward taking over management of the AHL franchise in Hartford. That's what our sources are telling us.

Yet the bigger truth needs no unnamed sources: Baldwin never did step away from this pursuit and he has never stopped dreaming big dreams. So the end game here could be more than a minor league hockey team and, no, I'm not only talking about a major league hockey team.

I like Larry G, but I do hope Baldwin gets some say into the WolfPacks future. It should be interesting to see how all this plays out.

The name Connecticut Whalers sucks, I always hated teams named after a State and not a City. That being said, I'd much prefer to go see the AHL Whalers than the AHL Wolf Pack. Keep the symbol, Brass Bonanza, etc, and more people will go. I always liked Baldwin, having him hanging around is never a bad thing.

• 1 month later...

Have you guys took a look at Dennis House's blog lately? The Whaler's are a hot thing these days? There's a store in Newport, RI selling Whaler's gear and they can't keep up with demand! Check it out.....

http://dennishouse.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/bringing-back-your-hartford-whalers/#comments

http://dennishouse.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/howard-baldwin-on-face-the-state-with-dennis-house/

Archived