Charleston pushing annexation of West Ashley

vicupstate

Lower taxes leads push of annexation in West Ashley

Hopefully, this latest push will be successful. Back in the 70's and '80s a large swath of West Ashley was outside the city. Much of that area has been annexed piecemeal since then, but 7,000 properties remain. There is a compounding effect of this situation. With each parcel that is annexed, the tax burden on the remaining PSD residents increases because the tax "pie" gets progressively smaller.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read about this annexation push, and this is something they should have done about 5 years ago. The reason is that several major neighborhood developments are being built in between Bees Ferry and Savannah Hwy. Hopefully the developers will opt for annexation so it can tout city services to new home buyers.

The situation West Ashley is quite aggravating, because it is a definite extension of Chas, yet it is spliced with many donut holes. If the entire mass of this side of the river were in the city limits, Chas would already be the largest city in SC. And yes, that is without James or Johns Islands.

• 1 month later...

Charleston approves annexation of 458 acres in West Ashley

Charleston to grow by 1,500 homes on 458 acres with this most recent annexation. It will also allow some new work to relieve traffic congestion.

The council also passed a resolution against President Bush's plan to sell acreage in the Francis Marion Forest. Have any other cities or towns done this? Good for Charleston.

:thumbsup: Oh yeah! I was worried that Carolina Bay would be built outside of the limits, but now the city is going to get 1,500 more homes built in several years with the annexation. Excellent! They should be completed and sold before the next census. I drove by there last week, and forest is being cleared for the roads. Considering that they're building connections to Glenn McConnell, commuting around the area will be easier.

Isn't it interesting that Chas is also trying to see about keeping Francis Marion preserved? The first city in SC to take the initiative?

That is certainly excellent news. From what I understand, the Bush proposal only targets national forests (so far), of which there are only two in the state--Francis Marion and Sumter. The only other tract of land in the state that has a national designation I can think of is Congaree (which is a national park), and if Bush dared to touch that, he'd catch lots of hell (even moreso than he is now) as it is a designated international biosphere reserve. But being that the threat of the Charleston metro area sprawling into the forest seemed imminent, I am glad that Charleston's leaders were proactive in this regard.

I think what Chas leaders are doing shows that they have a comprehensive plan in determining where new suburban growth will occur. The Francis Marion situation shows that the city will not compromise what is a national forest. Maybe they need to designate it as a national park to preserve all of it.

The continuing annexations of West Ashley is truly encouraging. I just hope that eventually the entirety of this section, James Island, and Johns Island will be in the city. These areas are where more growth needs to occur. Most of the areas are suburban in nature, anyway. This latest annexation of Carolina Bay along with acting to preserve Francis Marion shows that the city is committed to proper growth patterns, and not just random sprawl.

True. However, I doubt the other surburban cities in the region can seriously take the same stance. Mt. P is still expanding up to the forest, and Awendaw is starting to annex areas near the forest so Mt. P won't engulf their town. I know Mt. P did sign a pact for the forest, yet Awendaw has been hesitant to do the same.

What about Summerville, Goose Creek, and N. Chas? N. Chas might eventually have to grow with density sense it is becoming surrounded by Goose Creek and Summerville, but there are no signs for those towns to stop building out. Actually, as we have stated this before, many of these expansive developments are due to county permissions, so the problem is the county administration. The counties need to commit to proper growth patterns...I hate to be pessimistic, but I don't think that will happen. The city of Chas will need more power and influence to make other bureaucracies adhere to proper growth plans.

^That policy needs to be adopted as a region, and not just by the city of Charleston.

I agree. There is no reason any town, city or county should vote on this. All of them except Awendaw are inccluded in the "pact" to protect the Forest.

BTW, Charleston County Council deadlocked 4-4 on a virtually identical resolution. If I get a chance I will post the link to the P & C article.

• 1 month later...

Charleston continues to penetrate into West Ashley

The savings of being in Charleston versus the PSD are more substantial than I realized. $1000 or more will change a lot of minds. Hopefully the difference will grow as the PSD tax base shrinks. Also, as property vales increase, the gap should widen.

Let the doughnut holes go the way of the dinoseur !!

Unless Columbia becomes just as aggressive with annexation, within 3 years Charleston will surpass it to become the state's largest city, easily.

The land the city is taking up in West Ashley is really unprecedented. Sometimes I wonder why it took the city so long to get the rest of West Ashley into its limits, since this section of the city is actually the original site of the city when it was founded in 1670.

Here's another thing to consider with the city limits issue: not only is Chas annexing existing properties, but their annexations are reaching land that is currently being developed where 14,000 more homes are planned to be built. According to several area economists, with Mt. P starting to level off in terms of its growth, the new hyper-growth area will be WA extending all the way to Summerville. If the growth continues at its current rate, not only can Chas pass Cola in city population, but it could reach 200,000 when you include growth in the Cainhoy area, Daniel Island, Johns Island, and James Island.

The land the city is taking up in West Ashley is really unprecedented. Sometimes I wonder why it took the city so long to get the rest of West Ashley into its limits, since this section of the city is actually the original site of the city when it was founded in 1670.

In Riley's first term, the city held numerous annexation elections, including the areas of West Ashley that were not already in the city. Most, if not all of them failed, including the West Ashley ones. There was a huge excluded area that did not start annexing into the city until the Local Option Sales Tax enabled the city to reduce the difference in taxes between the city and the St. Andrews PSD. It was been a piecemeal process starting around 1991. The now substantial difference in taxes in the city's favor is likely to bring in all but the most stubborn anti-city residents.

^ The piecemeal annexations of West Ashley have for the most part been successful, and it looks like the entire area will end up being in the city. Most people feel that WA is the city of Chas, so that's good.

However, the piecemeal annexations of James Island have not worked as well. The island is again going to vote for whether or not to incorporate as a town, and there seems to be much more animosity to the city from the pseudo-town's organizers. Annexation laws in this state will not be changed, so it looks like piecemeal annexations will be the only way to encompass the entirety of the island into the city. Let's hope that when the city sues a third time, the attempted town will be forgotten. Then, eventually, this barrier island will be in its rightful place in the city.

I read about this annexation push, and this is something they should have done about 5 years ago. The reason is that several major neighborhood developments are being built in between Bees Ferry and Savannah Hwy. Hopefully the developers will opt for annexation so it can tout city services to new home buyers.

The situation West Ashley is quite aggravating, because it is a definite extension of Chas, yet it is spliced with many donut holes. If the entire mass of this side of the river were in the city limits, Chas would already be the largest city in SC. And yes, that is without James or Johns Islands.

And if Olympia, Forest Acres, the donut holes in SE Columbia, the areas contiguous to Eau Claire, stretches along Two Notch Road that are close in, Cayce and West Columbia (both urban areas adjacent to dowtown Columbia but the the river) were all annexed into the capital city, Columbia would take back over the lead.

^ Yes, but I was referring to an area which was the original site of Charleston, not other incorporated areas. Ummmm, BTW, why was this even mentioned? Do you have to include Cola in everything? :rolleyes:

Columbia is a city in South Carolina and you said in your post that Charleston would be the largest city in South Carolina if ...........

Columbia is a city in South Carolina and you said in your post that Charleston would be the largest city in South Carolina if ...........

Okay guys i do believe we need to stop arguing about the two cities. When i was growing up Charleston and Columbia were never compared to each other like this. Charleston was in another league of its own. Both are great cities. There is just different things that make them great. Who cares who has more in city population! Does it really matter? I don't think San Francisco or San Jose are arguing, even though San Jose has more in city population. And I do agree with Charleston Native...it does seem when one mentions the growth of another city such as Charleston or Greenville, someone from Columbia has to step in and throw something in. I know Columbia doesn't get as much recognition, but com'on. Lets grow up! Pleeeease?

Well, interesting news...the city of Chas is getting bigger, yet again. According to the P & C article below, the city annexed more WA properties as well as James and Johns Island properties. And all of these properties were basically "donut holes" that many of us here in the forum complain about! To be honest, I'm really impressed with these aggressive annexations efforts. It seems that every month, more properties are being added...I don't think I've seen the city this busy in annexations.

Charleston Annexes More Properties, Gives Approval for More

^Me too.

I think it's impressive how much Charleston has grown within the city limits since the 60's, given our strict annexation laws, while Columbia and Greenville have essentially remained the same in terms of population since that time. You've just got to work the system as much as you can within the given framework, and Charleston has done such a good job at that.

Archived