UCONN School Of Business - Downtown Project

JayHass

Hello everyone, just curious why more people don't talk about this completed project in downtown. The UCONN School Of Business Financial Accelerator Program.

Having this in downtown is a huge advancement for the city. Nevermind the "Times Square big city feel" it has given to Constitution Plaza with the external "jumbotron" and live streaming ticker going 24/7. It has won several awards and is getting recognition around the country and world as a model of it's kind.

For those curious about this here are a few links to check out.

Yes we now have a world class trading floor in Downtown Hartford. :thumbsup:

http://accelerator.business.uconn.edu/DesktopDefault.aspx

http://www.architechmag.com/articles/detai...?articleid=2626

100_2263-Floor1-LR.jpg

100_2346-Jumbo1-LR.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that the other day, that was real interesting to me. Given time, I think it will sprout some growth in that area...

That should be a nice little area once the temple street / sage-allen project is done - something HAS to be done though with the lot in front (back?) of the Residence Inn, and the ugly facade of Constitution Plaza to the north of UConn (FYI, that little brown church can never be moved because there are bodies buried there....)

That should be a nice little area once the temple street / sage-allen project is done - something HAS to be done though with the lot in front (back?) of the Residence Inn, and the ugly facade of Constitution Plaza to the north of UConn (FYI, that little brown church can never be moved because there are bodies buried there....)

Yeah, that's the back of the Residence. It is ugly, but I just don't think it's time for a re-furbishing or is it completely neccessary at this point. I'm just happy that they are still there and doing well.

It will be pretty spectacular to see people living there in the Sage Allen project and 24/7 pedestrian activity.

I was downtown on new years eve and noticed that the Jumbotron only shows slides (the same ones over and over) I was thinking that it would be nice to have it show something else. Perhaps the evening news at 6:00 or the TODAY show in the morning or something. Anything but those boring slides.

You can see the tombs on the outside of the church just to the right. Its a little brownstone enclosement with wrought iron . The inscripted tombstone lies on the top of the tombs. Its not cared for and there is a dumpster kept ajacent to the tombs. Its a shame.

The church is one of the oldest in Hartford and is now used by Catholic charites. It would be cool if it were restored to its original design and used as a chapel. As for the two graves, I believe a young man died of smallpox and for some reason, was not allowed to be buried in the cemetary so his father buried him outside the church. When the father died, I think he was buried there too. The church itself and the land was donted to the city with stipulation that it never be torn down.

I was downtown on new years eve and noticed that the Jumbotron only shows slides (the same ones over and over) I was thinking that it would be nice to have it show something else. Perhaps the evening news at 6:00 or the TODAY show in the morning or something. Anything but those boring slides.

Hmmm, perhaps it was just a "night" thing, during the day I have seen varying broadcasts...I do like the live broadcast idea though. :thumbsup:

What is most satisfying about the kinetic signage on this building is that the architects had only a vague idea of what they wanted (something New York style). It fell to a local home-grown Hartford company to actually solve the problem of designing and building and installing such modern signage on a pre-existing older building. That company is Adamsahern Sign Solutions of 30 Arbor Street in Hartford. They also did the new exterior signage on the top of The Aetna, and the Hartford Courant sign you can see from I-84. (www.adamsahern.com for more about them) (No, I am not affiliated with them, just happy to see a hartford small business grow and succeed.)

Archived