Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JDC

A very merry x-mas for an urban design enthusiast

My girlfriend put together a really great urban design-themed present for me this year: Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition and two books, The Works: Anatomy of a City and Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream.

Twas a magical holiday indeed.

Wow, your girlfriend and myself were thinking alike. I just bought SimCity 4 and The Works: Anatomy of a City with my xmas money. The Works, by the way, is a great book for entry level planners (like myself) that know little about engineering and want to learn some of the very basics without all the math. It's an excellent read, especially since you can basically just look at the diagrams and not read much at all :thumbsup:

I recieved "How Buildings Learn: What happens after they're built" by Stewart Brand and also finally my own copy of Jane Jacobs' "The Death and Life of Great American Cities."

JDC, "Suburban Nation" is a very fun and interesting read. I think you'll enjoy it!

I didn't receive gifts along this theme, but I was introduced over the holiday weekend to a great game, Settlers of Catan (I played an expansion game, Cities and Knights of Catan).

^how cool you also got Sim City 4 for Christmas. My parents gave me that game. I really haven't done much else these days, besides playing that game! Right now I've got a really cool city with 220,000 inhabitants :D

I finally bought Suburban Nation yesterday, so far I can't put it down. Although most of it has already been learned me being an urban planning major, it's nice to see everything I've learned so neatly displayed in one book. I also bought "Still Stuck in Traffic", can't wait to read that one especially since I have Stuck in Traffic already.