Interracial Married couple moving to Greenville, SC

MAtoSC

My husband and I are an interracial married couple moving to Greenville, SC. My husband is relocating for work. We currently live in Massachusetts. We really didn't think about our difference in ethnic background being an issue, however many of my coworkers are voicing concern about us moving to Greenville, SC because of our multiracial background. I really am hoping that my coworkers are wrong. Can anyone out there adress these concerns if they are valid. Should we be looking at particular neighborhoods? I really am hoping that my coworkers are wrong.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are people with different viewpoints in every city, but I assure you that Greenville is no less accepting/supporting of your relationship than the rest. In fact, you should find this area to be a welcome place to call home. You basically have a large number of choices as to where you would like to reside. Some like to live in the city, while others prefer the commute to and from the bustling suburbs. Either way, you'll find many options available. Welcome to the forum, and I hope you keep us informed about your move and lives here! :thumbsup:

There are people with different viewpoints in every city, but I assure you that Greenville is no less accepting/supporting of your relationship than the rest. In fact, you should find this area to be a welcome place to call home. You basically have a large number of choices as to where you would like to reside. Some like to live in the city, while others prefer the commute to and from the bustling suburbs. Either way, you'll find many options available. Welcome to the forum, and I hope you keep us informed about your move and lives here! :thumbsup:

To MAtoSC:

See the Cultural Diversity Thread in Upstate Forums. We too are an interacial (inter-religious, inter-international!!) couple moving from Philly to SC. I am from the Upstate and found the region very accepting and friendly then and now during our trips home.

There are several people on this board that are part of interracial couples and can probably speak more directly. You shouldn't be concerned, Greenville is a welcoming place. :) My partner works with a couple of people who are part of interracial couples, they love Greenville. Check out the thread under "Upstate SC Metros" called "Cultural Diversity". Some great info.

Welcome to this board and welcome to Greenville! :D

I would ignore those remarks.

I wouldn't expect any negative comments in the South (as people in SC are generally pretty polite, and I found people in MA to be much more closed-minded about the South and Southernness than people in the South are about diversity), but be advised that if you're a blue-state person with a blue-state lifestyle, there just might not be a ton of other people that you might have a lot in common with.

I am from the South originally and moved back from the Northeast (MA and then NY). I found the regions to be culturally very different and so SC might take some getting used to. But just as I grew to enjoy the years I spent in MA and NY, you may well really like SC, after some initial settling in.

Also, having been a Southerner in metro Boston and Manhattan and then being a single person in the South (and being considered a New Yorker, even though I'm a native Southerner but without an accent), I've been sort of a non-native in all those places and definitely have been in the minority in each place. The only blatantly closed-minded comments I ever got in any of those places were in Massachusetts, where there were people who dismissed Southerners as being a bunch of backwoods racists who condone lynchings. I wouldn't place too much value on those types of remarks, and I wouldn't anticipate equally closed-minded comments once you're in the South.

I have lived in Boston as well as Greenville, and noticed some obvious differences between the two cities (e.g., as opposed to women in Boston, women in Greenville wear makeup!...just kidding). Greenville is obviously a smaller metro than Boston, but I think you will appreciate the fact that pretty much anything you want to do can be found in Greenville. It is a growing area and has a lot to offer.

As for the people, don't believe the "Southerners are close-minded/backwoods/rednecks." I have lived all along the east coast, and people here are no less tolerant (and in some cases, more tolerant) than people in other areas. You will encounter more "rural" attitudes the farther away you get from the city, but that is true for any metro. In the south, that rural attitude is what you might consider to be "Southern," and in the north, it would be "Northern." You get the point.

I have been in an interracial relationship, and had no problems at all. In fact, she and I would pass people on the street in Greenville and were met with positive comments on a regular basis. I discussed my experience in the cultural diversity thread mentioned above.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns about the Greenville area. Hopefully your relocation will be pleasant and enjoyable! :)

We really didn't think about our difference in ethnic background being an issue, however many of my coworkers are voicing concern about us moving to Greenville, SC because of our multiracial background.

Wow - what a statement!! I thought those of us in the south were the ignorant ones. I really find it hard to believe our friends in the northeast actually believe this.

Being from DC (18 years) and having lived in Atlanta for 8 years, I can unequivocally state that "race relations" in Greenville are FAR superior than they are in DC or Atlanta. In general, you will find that Greenville (and South Carolina as a whole) is very laid back. In fact, that will be your biggest adjustment, not the multiracial thing.

Wow - what a statement!! I thought those of us in the south were the ignorant ones. I really find it hard to believe our friends in the northeast actually believe this.

Being from DC (18 years) and having lived in Atlanta for 8 years, I can unequivocally state that "race relations" in Greenville are FAR superior than they are in DC or Atlanta. In general, you will find that Greenville (and South Carolina as a whole) is very laid back. In fact, that will be your biggest adjustment, not the multiracial thing.

That isn't such an unbelievable statement. I don't know alot about race relations in Greenville, but I know there is alot of entrenched homophobia in Greenville County government and business.

That isn't such an unbelievable statement. I don't know alot about race relations in Greenville, but I know there is alot of entrenched homophobia in Greenville County government and business.

^ Not true. Gay businessman here, no problems at all in Greenville. MAtoSC, I would encourage you to read the post of those who actually live IN Greenville and experience life on a daily basis.

^ Not true. Gay businessman here, no problems at all in Greenville. MAtoSC, I would encourage you to read the post of those who actually live IN Greenville and experience life on a daily basis.

GSU, perhaps you haven't lived in Greenville long and weren't aware of the institutional bias about 10 years ago that prompted Gay Pride to be moved from Columbia to Greenville for a year. An anti-gay council resolution was passed and anti-gay billboards signed by members of county council and businesses along with homophobic yard signs around town. I have numerous friends that live in the Greenville area and the police are notoriously anti-gay. Now that is Greenville County not Greenville city, but I think it is at least indicative of the climate in suburban Greenville. That said, the climate in Greenville has improved somewhat and I realize that a homophobic climate does not necessarily equal a racist climate, but I think it is a good indicator. I am very happy that you haven't experienced any problems, but I stand by my assertion about the climate there although it is improving. There is one racial issue that I'm aware of in Greenville County and that is the refusal to recognize the Martin Luther King, Jr. birthday holiday. I don't want to discourage the Massachusetts couple from moving to Greenville, but I did want to answer an earlier post that claimed their friends in Massachusetts were biased when they questioned a move to Greenville. Here are several articles on the issue including one that indicates things are improving.

My Webpage

My Webpage

My Webpage

My Webpage

I am involved in a inter-racial relationship. Sure, there are some idiots out there who try and make our life miserable; however, the majority of folks in the Upstate are very cordial and pleasant to us. I have not found this to be the case in other areas of the State. FWIW< I moved here from Boston (Cambridge) myself.

GSU, perhaps you haven't lived in Greenville long and weren't aware of the institutional bias about 10 years ago that prompted Gay Pride to be moved from Columbia to Greenville for a year. An anti-gay council resolution was passed and anti-gay billboards signed by members of county council and businesses along with homophobic yard signs around town. I have numerous friends that live in the Greenville area and the police are notoriously anti-gay. Now that is Greenville County not Greenville city, but I think it is at least indicative of the climate in suburban Greenville. That said, the climate in Greenville has improved somewhat and I realize that a homophobic climate does not necessarily equal a racist climate, but I think it is a good indicator. I am very happy that you haven't experienced any problems, but I stand by my assertion about the climate there although it is improving. There is one racial issue that I'm aware of in Greenville County and that is the refusal to recognize the Martin Luther King, Jr. birthday holiday. I don't want to discourage the Massachusetts couple from moving to Greenville, but I did want to answer an earlier post that claimed their friends in Massachusetts were biased when they questioned a move to Greenville. Here are several articles on the issue including one that indicates things are improving.

My Webpage

My Webpage

My Webpage

My Webpage

A couple of comments here....10 years ago??? I'm living in the moment, today, and Greenville treats me, my partner and our friends excellent. WE LOVE IT! Thats why we chose this place to live (and I've lived in much larger cities). I've notice your post seem to have an ax to grind with Greenville....unfortunate. ;)

The ONLY single time I've felt uncomfortable anywhere in SC, was in Columbia, when a bunch of college kids were name calling and being verbally ignorant. At least in Greenville, there is a polite society that treats all with respect.

As for the Gay Pride parade thing, great for those that feel they need to march in it. I get respect each and every day in Greenville just by being me and by being a true, honest, loving, caring human. You get what you give! :D

No offense, but this person is in an interracial relationship not gay. She didn't ask about that. I am interracially married, live here, and haven't had a problem nor do I have a problem with Greenville. I have friends here that are gay and they haven't had any problems. Its more perception than anything. Lets stay on topic folks. :)

I have yet to hear a positive comment about Greenville from waccamatt, so don't be shocked by his negative posts here. Take it from the ones living here, you are most welcome to visit and stay anytime. I kid you not when I say that people come from all over the World and make extremely positive statements about this place. :)

I am merely pointing out that Greenville has a history of problems with open mindedness. If those of you who live there wish to stick your heads in the sand, so be it.

Its not that. We just haven't had or seen the problems you speak of. I haven't had that problem in none of the state. If Greenville had a problem with being open minded it wouldn't be growing at the pace it is. Also, I think it good to have some values and not just run wild.

As for the Gay Pride parade thing, great for those that feel they need to march in it. I get respect each and every day in Greenville just by being me and by being a true, honest, loving, caring human. You get what you give! :D

gsupstate, your comments has prompted me to make a reply here. I am a lurker in the Greenville forum as I am considering relocating my small automotive fabrication/manufacturing business here in central CT to Gville as I also plan for a future family as well.

I have to say gsupstate, while I for reasons of personal beliefs can not condone the homosexual lifestyle (Or for that matter a heterosexual partnership which is in a adulterous situation...again this is on a personal level within myself.), I think you are a model example for others of gay orientation to follow. I am sincerely impressed with your comment and pose. Even though we may not agree on your lifestyle being right or wrong, I would respect your position and welcome you to my home like family and consider you a friend without reserve.

waccamatt on the other hand is what I see as the very reason so many people are considered "homophobes" due to his large axe he seems to have to grind and his will to push his agenda and personal beliefs upon those who would otherwise treat him with the respect his so dearly desires. I feel his attitude is reflective of his self destructive lifestyle in general - which honestly makes me wonder about his deep seated motives behind his sexual orientation as being legitimate and from the heart.

If/when I do come to visit perhaps we can meet up for a glass of wine and a nickel tour of Gville. ;)

My hat is off to you sir...

P.S. As for the comments about the general attitudes in MA. We don't call them Massholes here in CT for nothing. :w00t::thumbsup:

Jay Hass, I hope you do come and visit. I can assure you that you'll fall in love with this beautiful Southern city. I'm sure you're aware of the automotive presence here in Greenville and it's only growing. Let us all know of your happenings. I'd like to know what you think and what you decide. :thumbsup:

waccamatt on the other hand is what I see as the very reason so many people are considered "homophobes" due to his large axe he seems to have to grind and his will to push his agenda and personal beliefs upon those who would otherwise treat him with the respect his so dearly desires. I feel his attitude is reflective of his self destructive lifestyle in general - which honestly makes me wonder about his deep seated motives behind his sexual orientation as being legitimate and from the heart.

Something told me that I needed to look into this thread. If there are any more personal attacks here I am going to suspend a few people. Please go read our rules. Discuss the Issues, Don't attack the other forumers if you disagree with their opinion or who they are.

Something told me that I needed to look into this thread. If there are any more personal attacks here I am going to suspend a few people. Please go read our rules. Discuss the Issues, Don't attack the other forumers if you disagree with their opinion or who they are.

You are right metro, but I definetly agree with Jay Hass's assesment. We(Greenvillians) are continually attacked by this one certain poster. I do like gsupstate's values and the way he carries himself. He is not on the offensive.

Archived