New Years Celebration!

The_sandlapper

I think this sums it up best.

"Georgia has the peach.

New York has the apple.

And this year WOW at the River, the City of Columbia’s New Year’s Eve celebration, will have its very own palmetto tree to drop." (from "the state")

This years New Years celebration will be held at the river ie riverfront park, and will include the dropping of a 6ft wooden palmetto tree. The event runs from 6-9pm.

Great idea but I think it comes off a little lame with closing at 9pm that kinda defeats the whole purpose of a new years celebration.

Pehaps the city should have two celebrations one at the river for the "families", and the real party at 5points with the palmetto tree drop there!

Who do I need to contact about this kinda thing?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hilarious. I like your idea about having two parties. One for families on the river and another in Five Points for anyone that wants to really party -- although I think it'd be cooler to close of the block of Main Street in front of the Art Museum, Jammin' Java and Rising High and have a street party there. I know they haven't had a lot of success with the New Years stuff they've tried downtown in the past, but I think the city is nearly ready for a big downtown bash.

To answer your question on who to contact with your idea: I'd suggest dropping a line to the Action Council and maybe to the Five Points Association. Maybe the Five Points party could *start* at 9PM. :)

I agree about the riverfront thing...the REAL partying will be going on in Five POints and the Vista, but they will be packed regardless of whether the city does something special there or not. I want to go to the Park, but I've been invited to 3 NYE parties and can't do all 4 things. :(

I don't know I guess its keeping with other bone head traditions. I mean what an absolute joke, "come bring in the new year at the river, we get the party started at 6PM and go all the way to 9PM upon which we will mock the new year by dropping a tree 3 hours before the real new year begins! You'll be at home in time enough to tuck your kids in and call it a night before the rest of the world knows you went to such a lame event ........I could go on but.

LOL! I thought the same thing when I read about it and thought, What's the point? People will small children can always leave early.

Shahram

I don't know I guess its keeping with other bone head traditions. I mean what an absolute joke, "come bring in the new year at the river, we get the party started at 6PM and go all the way to 9PM upon which we will mock the new year by dropping a tree 3 hours before the real new year begins! You'll be at home in time enough to tuck your kids in and call it a night before the rest of the world knows you went to such a lame event ........I could go on but.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been in Columbia for New Years since 2001, 2002&2003 was in Boston 2004&2005 in Charlotte and 2006 in Boston, wow lol

I went to the party at the river front.. and I must say it was a P A R T Y ! ! !, yes for kids and some of us adults (with kids).. lines were long for all rides.. it was like a junior / kiddy fair could not believe a double zipper coster, big balloon tube slide w/ bounce (shoes off please), large real life camel rides,

BIG merry-go-round-swings, and serveral other rides could all fit into the small parking lot at the river front.. in addition to some of the BEST corn & sausage dog vendors, bar-B-Q, Steak & Shrimp kabob french fries chicken fingers and of course cotton candy and popcorn vendors around, face painting

color sand in a glass.. lots of arts and craft.. and a huge theatrical stage which presented to us Frost the

Snowman, performance was in a musical format.. with audiance interaction.. captivating (sort of a broadway NY stage presentation) very nice.. The Marionet theater also had puppet show performance

with a nice price tag..

We decided to watched the firework display from my warm front porch.. The temparture had drop quite a bit

outside so we left early.. OH yes a one price ticket lets you ride as many time as you want kids 3 - 14 really had a blast..(15 -16 enjoyed meeting one another holding hands whlie eating elephant ears with a variety of sweet toppings and drinking hot choclate).. my lil one is still a bit too young.. but we enjoyed the senery, colors, shows, people watching and firework

display which I must say was the best I've seen in columbia, charleston or mytlebeach.. I don't think the actual park was open.. because lined up across the front gate entrance were the restrooms..

I estimate the crowd to have been at least 2,500+ My family were the only ones with

the slingback chairs, we cought everyones attention.. the stage performers did have chairs

for about 100 - 200 people, most sat on the grassy hill near the red school house, others rode walked around the parking lot sampling food.

• 11 months later...

Archived