St. Mary's Healthcare Construction

snoogit

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may sound odd, but I really hate to see old buildings go down for something shorter, even if the shorter building is aesthetically pleasing. I actually like quite a bit of the International style that this building was done in.

I won't miss the old Xavior building especially when something a million times better looking will go in its place. I been inside the Xavior building for a job interview a while back. Trust me. It was as ugly on the inside as it was on the outside. Besides, I think the new development will be 4 or 5 stories high which would place it at about 70 feet or so in height. So there will still be some height on the corner. Plus according to the renderings I saw, it looks like it be built right up to the side walks. Thus overall it will have more of a visual impact than Xavior hall. In fact, if the parking lot to the north where to be infilled with something similar in height, there would be a nice urban canyon along that street.

Ye shall be remambered old Xavior Hall. :cry:

Just Kidding. :P

I'm glad to see the old X gone along with its 60's blahchitechure. The International style sounds great on paper but really can get screwed up by architects that lack the skills to impliment it properly. Xavior Hall was a case in point.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of action in the area. Some not so good.

Schnitzelbank-now-parking

298267718_15800fdacc_b.jpg

Eerdmans-now-parking

298264743_19e1b06198_b.jpg

Hope Lodge excavation

298264746_52756f4b6c_b.jpg

And an interesting old two-story mechanic's garage was torn down for parking for Westminster Presbyterian. I always thought it would make a great little loft project.

298267703_ed4314afd4_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

At tomorrow's Committee of the Whole portion of the City Commission meeting, St Mary's Healthcare will announce and present plans for their Community Campus Redesign. Meeting starts at 9:30 AM.

There aren't any plans in the e-packet, so someone will have to go and report back. Find out what they're going to do with all those newly created parking lots they have where Eerdman's was.

Archived