• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Information from Mlive.com

PDF file with proposal image:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/documents/20061219_hospital.pdf

Orginal story on Mlive.com:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

"The plan, presented to the City Commission today, will replace parking lots, vacant parcels and industrial sites with a medical campus, including tree-lined walkways and boulevards, a traffic circle and office buildings with retail space."

Thanks bigbob! It sounds pretty exciting, and similar to what Metro Health is doing out in Wyoming.

St Mary's announced medical neigborhood

The 26-acre plan, to be presented to city commissioners today, will replace parking lots, vacant parcels and industrial sites with a medical campus that has green space, walkways, tree-lined boulevards, medical office buildings, retail shops and housing.

The region is bounded by Wealthy Street on the south, State Street on the north, Lafayette Avenue on the east and LaGrave Avenue on the west.

Construction could begin in two to three years. The first phase includes a plaza in front of the hospital's main entrance.

Three new medical office buildings also are planned -- one at Jefferson and Cherry streets and two others on Jefferson and Maple Street. The office buildings will include street-level stores, such as a pharmacy, coffee shop and delicatessen.

New parking lots and a garage will be nestled behind office buildings, and Maple will be widened into a boulevard divided by grass and trees.

It could cost $60 million to $80 million, but financing still is being worked out, said Debbie Stiemann, Saint Mary's vice president for strategic development.

327170577_f4b346e0fb_o.jpg

Some of it seems to coincide with the Wealthy Jefferson Development Initiative

StMarysAxial_jpg.jpg

I'm definitely impressed by these plans.

I don't believe St. Mary's is remotely serious about any of them. I see it as more PR to try to keep everyones minds off the fact that they just took out yet another strip of buildings for parking lots. Im sure they hope in 3 years we totally forget about their plans and just get used to the parking lots.

But if they do it, I'll be the first to apologize.

I'm definitely impressed by these plans.

I don't believe St. Mary's is remotely serious about any of them. I see it as more PR to try to keep everyones minds off the fact that they just took out yet another strip of buildings for parking lots. Im sure they hope in 3 years we totally forget about their plans and just get used to the parking lots.

But if they do it, I'll be the first to apologize.

Granted this new Master plan still has quite a bit of surface lots. But if one studys the plan more closely, one will noticed that the proposed buildings act as liners to obscure a majority of the surface lots from the more important streets.

As for what I like about the plan the most, it is the new central axis with St. Mary's main hospital building on one end and St. Andrews Cathedral at the other. I think that is why the proposed liner buildings are only three stories high. This is to allow St. Mary's and the Cathedral to act as very dramtic focal points.

If St. Mary's is commited to pulling this off I think that whole area will look a thousand times better than it does now.

I like these plans a lot--a huge improvement for the neighborhood that ties the medical facilities together, improves the streetscape, and hides the parking lots, while adding green space. I wouldn't put it past St. Mary's to pull something like this off. It's not like they have been completely inactive lately in terms of good development, with the Wege Center, the Lacks Cancer Center, and now the Hauenstein Center.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That places is going to be huge. :blink: It looks like you could squeeze a football field between the wall and the existing hospital.

If this wall is any indication, the Hauenstein Center has quite a large footprint:

520347238_3251210a7a.jpg

(backside of Lack's Cancer Center in the background)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived