REAL info or cheerleading?

upstate29650

REAL info or cheerleading?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What's your impression of the posts on Urban Planet?

• Yes! There's plenty of vaild information on here..and nothing but!
    • Well, I can normally find some good stuff, after wading through the cheerleaders
    • Ugh! My city is this, my city is that, my city beat up your city! I feel surrounded by children!!
    • Upstate...what are you talking about?

If I'd never heard of these forums before & was new on planet Earth, I'd feel that Columbia, Little Rock & Atlanta were the centers of the known universe! (I'm using these cities as examples). It got me thinking...how much of the banter that takes place here is REAL, solid news about development, and what else may be news, but amounts to no more than a chance to say "My city is #1!" ?

Hey, if you feel the way you do about where you live, that's great! This poll is only my experiment in how others feel. Personally, I can cheerlead with the best of them!! :thumbsup: Let your voice be heard!

But Atlanta is the center of the known universe ;):P

I try not to do my share of cheerleading (though I have been known to be one at times), but I do my best to correct false information or assumptions about my city......sometimes pride may get in my way, though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I guess you are missing the point. The people in the know in Dallas don't post here. There are dozens of them that do, they just go elsewhere. Go look at www.forum.dallasmetropolis.com and you'll see what I mean.

This is what I am talking about. We exist regardless of the presense of other forums. These forums just don't happen as it takes a lot of hard work of the moderators for that section as you mention about Asseoterq and S. Fla. If you notice we don't have any moderators for Tx and its again because we have not gone through the effort to find one for Dallas. When this happens DFW will become busier and if it is like we have done in other places we will attract unique forumers that don't go to other places.

Its our policy not to raid other forums for members. We have no interest in convicing the members of your Dallas site to leave the place for UP.

If this is the forum that you said is busier than UP, this doesn't seem to be the case. In fact it would seem to be slowing down. This is always a problem with single city sites as they end up devolving into a few limited discussions. This is why UrbanPlanet is so successfull in what it does.

Daily Reach in Millions

dallasmetro1.jpg

Traffic Rank

dallasmetro2.jpg

Page Views

dallasmetro3.jpg

I am amazed by your ability to make new graphics as much as you are by my hyperbole.

These graphs are from alexa.com. If you think I made them up please go check them yourself, but they backup everything that I said. I have received no amazement from you hyperbole as we have seen this before at UrbanPlanet, but your comments are welcome never the less. They make for interesting reading.

I do think there is a considerable amount of Cheerleading on this website, ususally coming from certain forums, but overall I think most people here are pretty good at showing pride for their city while also respecting and learning from others. Although I have heard some very mean things said about certain cities, I believe it was in the Charlotte vs. Atlanta forum. But it's very rare for me to see that on this website. Overall, we do a good job at being polite and fair.

I won't use monsoon's post as a quote since it's lengthy but it does remind me that you don't always see people saying what a good job the Admin and Moderators do around here. Good job and keep up the good work! It is appreciated even if we don't say it as much as we should. :D

I agree 100% with this post.Its not often mentioned ,but Thanks for this outlet to relay and recieve information this site does have its rules,but so does life and I believe that its only reasonable to follow these guidelines.

I usually don't do these polls, b/c I find them to be merely an outlet of the juvenile cheerleading that is propagated by certain groups. However, I can find some good information for the two areas that I'm most interested in: GA and TN. My compliments go to the forumers in those two states who don't just rah-rah about every little thing.

We started with 32 members. The site has close to 7000 now. They all didn't move on. If your point is that you want to see Dallas more active here then it is up to you and the Dallas forumers to make it so...

That is exactly what I've had to do with my hometown's forum. It still has yet to pick up a large portion of forumers, but I've often wondered why some forums like G'ville, Cola, and Jax have a good portion of posts, but Chas goes through spurts of posts then some inactivity. Is it because there aren't as many Chas forumers? However, if you want to have activity on that forum, go to it and create the activity. I had to do that when I first started posting here, and now, even when I went on vacation, people are posting there consistently, though not at high a rate as I would like. Maybe that will come with time.

Anyway, I voted for getting some info after wading throught the cheerleading. I know some people here think that I'm a huge cheerleader for my hometown (which has always been thought of being the center of the universe for some :P ), but I only do that because it seems many people have a faulty impression of the city. I wouldn't sound like a cheerleader so much if more word got out about the city.

Some of the arguments or differences of opinion can lead to pissing contests, and this is especially aggravating. However, cheerleading is something that cannot be avoided considering that people will show their pride for where they live. I would rather have cheerleading than indifference.

Anyway, I voted for getting some info after wading throught the cheerleading. I know some people here think that I'm a huge cheerleader for my hometown (which has always been thought of being the center of the universe for some :P ), but I only do that because it seems many people have a faulty impression of the city. I wouldn't sound like a cheerleader so much if more word got out about the city.

Yeah that's pretty much why I cheer for Columbia. There is so much mis-information and false assumptions about the area that I enjoy educating those who don't know, or who may be truly interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Although I get the sense that there is cheerleading going on here, the attention that certain regions get on here is a direct representation of who uses this forum. For example, you see a lot of people on here from the Carolinas and Atlanta, and you have a few people from NW Arkansas that visits the site frequently. This is a reason why these "my city vs. your city" polls are about useless.

I would love to see more of an Alabama representation on here, but that will come when more members join that are from Alabama and feel the need to participate.

I love it. It gives me a chance to post information about things going on in my city, all the while giving my city the good image it deserves. It also gives me the opportunity to read about all the great things going on in other cities that, otherwise, I probably wouldn't.

• 1 month later...

I love it. It gives me a chance to post information about things going on in my city, all the while giving my city the good image it deserves. It also gives me the opportunity to read about all the great things going on in other cities that, otherwise, I probably wouldn't.

Yeah I've noticed activity in the Louisiana forum has been picking up lately. Looks like you guys have a good thing going over there. :thumbsup:

Yeah I've noticed activity in the Louisiana forum has been picking up lately. Looks like you guys have a good thing going over there. :thumbsup:

Yes, things have definitely been picking up. I've only been around here for 2 months but I've tried my best to do my share of posting in Louisiana and its subforums... especially my local area's subforum. NCB, Richy, byrde, breaux, bigboyz, and many others contribute so much there and give me lots of topics to respond to. I love it over there. You even contribute there quite a bit!

Arkansas is an awesome forum... I've been totally impressed by the amount of posts in there. Of course whenever I have something to say on a topic, I post in there some as well. You guys have a lot going on over there.

Archived