Park Central Plaza

atlrvr

I admit I don't follow Greensboro too closely, but I'm pretty certain that there has been no mention of this high rise.

This website that is under construction and seems to reference a new skyscraper in Greensboro called Park Central Plaza that looks to be about 29 stories and residential. The website is dated 2006 and is attributed to "the Carroll Companies" (a developer?)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit I don't follow Greensboro too closely, but I'm pretty certain that there has been no mention of this high rise.

This website that is under construction and seems to reference a new skyscraper in Greensboro called Park Central Plaza that looks to be about 29 stories and residential. The website is dated 2006 and is attributed to "the Carroll Companies" (a developer?)

The website references Winston-Salem about 3 times and it looks like the word gateway. What makes you think this is for Greensboro?

???? They're doing a different website for the Winston-Salem Gateway project.....this says Greensboro right below the name of the project.

Would this be the Wachovia Tower conversion? I seems to look like the right height for the lower section, with some additional floors, and Carroll was the guy interested.

These are the preliminary plans for the old wachovia tower if Roy Carroll can make the numbers work. It would be called Park Central because of the new city center park across the street. The building on left is the current wachovia tower which would be renovated, the building of the right would be a phase two which would be built in the vacant lot on elm street next to the original tower.

This is certainly new and a surprise to me. an it would be great if they did build a 29 story tower next to the origional 16 story tower. It must be talking about Greensboro becasue the old Wachovia Building is across the street from the future Center City park. I like the design and its time for Greensboro to add more modern and sleek looking buildings downtown. Its hard to read the description on the website becasue it looks like its in German or something. But this is a shock to me. I had no idea there is a plan to add a 29 story residential tower next to the old Wachovia Building! The site must be new becasuie it looks like they are still working on it. If built the way its planned, It would be the largest and tallest residential highrise in the Triad. It would even be taller than the Jefferson-Pilot Building and Koury Convention Center!

It looks like it will be Twin City. But Its smart to do it in two phases though. I still can't get over this. It about time. Highrise residential in downtown is long over due. But as far as the boxy shape, the Old Wachovia Building is boxy so there isnt much they can do to alter its shape but the 29 story tower could be built in another shape with the same design. That could still happen. designs can change over time like they did with the Koury Convention Center.

From what I hear Winston-Salem has at least two residentail highrise proposals. The 10 story one in the Gateway project and a 14-story one that would replace the Pepper Building. All big NC cities now seem to be doing the highrise residential downtown now.

But this project in Greensboro will help Greensboro's Skyline out alot. Dont forget, there is a 16 to 20-story Federal Court house planned for Downtown too!

This is so wierd becasue I had a dream last night that Greensboro was getting a new residential tower and then I wake up and read this! The design looks like all the unites have balconies as well. It kinda reminds me of a Building you'd see in an Asian citiy like Tokyo or Hong Kong but boxy. The tall tower is actually 30 Stories becasue they never count the 13th floor but if you add the sculpture at the top its about 33 stories tall. But its like being a 46 story residential building if you were to stack the old Wachovia Building on top of the taller new tower. This is the size and scale development that we are seeing in uptown Charlotte today

the jumbled up words just look like a placeholder for an actual description that will fit in the window. this looks like a very early version of the website and they're probably just trying to figure out how to lay things out since they're using flash.

it does look interesting though. we'll definitely have to follow this.

i think its creative how they masked the old wachovia building. i had to stare at the rendering hard to picture it. when carroll announced this project a while ago, i had no idea this is what he had in mind. the 29 story addition was probably added due to high demand for downtown living. Greensboro is doing it and no forumers from NC city should say anything bad about this project.

I like what they did to the top of the buildings. I guess it suppose to help make the building look less boxy. But this project has not hit the local news press yet. This could be a mixture of apartment and condos. I do know that there is a plan to include office space in the old tower as well as a restaurant on the second floor overlooking the center-city park

This is very strange. At first I thought this was planned in W-S due to all the references in the scrambled text, but the picture and name make it look like it's in Greensboro. It does surprise to see the facade altered, because as I understood it, he needed to return the facade back to what it originally looked like in order to get historical preservation tax incentives.

I guess it's possible that he didn't get the incentives and instead of abandoning the project altogether, he's decided to do it his own way.

This is very strange. At first I thought this was planned in W-S due to all the references in the scrambled text, but the picture and name make it look like it's in Greensboro. It does surprise to see the facade altered, because as I understood it, he needed to return the facade back to what it originally looked like in order to get historical preservation tax incentives.

I guess it's possible that he didn't get the incentives and instead of abandoning the project altogether, he's decided to do it his own way.

I guess maybe he felt the appearance of the building had to change dramatically in order for the units to sell. It looks like an office building now and its current appearance even if painted to it origional color might be a turn off. Im still shocked that this project is so large. This is the kind of thing Charlotte is doing now uptown. I alway figured if Greensboro got a new residential tower it would be around 12 stories but 30 Stories! Its amazing. I had to pinch myself a few times. The design is kinda foreign to downtown Greensboro but thats good. I like to see more sleek/modern downtown. It will be Greensboro tallest building.

Ed Cone has posted an update from Carroll himself on his weblog as to the truth behind this website

Roy Carroll emails to say that the image is not his company's plan, but a proposal from a website designer pitching his site. Neither the name of the project nor the design of the building is an accurate depiction of Carroll's current plans. "We hope to have a design by spring," he writes. Thanks for clearing this up, Roy -- and thanks for undertaking a project that could push downtown GSO over the top.

here is something someone wrote on that forum:

"I think you may be right, Beth. Anonymous sources are confirming that Carroll's company has distributed illustrations described as similar to what you posted (rendering on website). Whether or not it truley reflects the curren design remains to be seen, I suppose. It could be a rendition of a concept not chosen. But it was not a creation of the web desginer."

I'm not sure what Roy is doing but He could be trying to cover up until he's ready to publically reveal the project. I'm not sure why Roy's company would diststribute the illustration if it wasnt his plan but regardless. prelimenarry design always seem to change. Hopefully the 30 story tower will remain in the project.

But I think the posting here let the cat out of the bag :D This post predates any post on other forums or blogs

Here is another comment:

"I agree Sue. Didn't you say you had seen this design previously. Could it be Carroll is trying to cover his track now that he's been outed? A little PR cleanup to prevent it being printed in "big media"?

I've got to say that if this isn't the design, he might want to reconsider, alot of people are saying they really like the looks of this on other sites. I agree. I hope I'm right, and this is the future of downtown

"

Im not sure if its an older design because if you look at the copyright date on the website it says 2006. Sounds like a cover up to me

I agree with you DCB. If it werent close to his plan, that rendering would not have been put on a website thats under construction with a copyright date of 2006. As I said before, the real buildings never look exactly like the drawing so there may some difference in the design.

Archived