Allan's Detroit: 2005 - Year in Review

Allan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. The ornamentation from the Statler Hotel was sold off by the demolition contractor, Homrich. The president of Homrich did keep one of the faces for himself, though. Who knows where the rest of the Statler faces will pop up next? Maybe on some condo in Chicago....

Thanks. The ornamentation from the Statler Hotel was sold off by the demolition contractor, Homrich. The president of Homrich did keep one of the faces for himself, though. Who knows where the rest of the Statler faces will pop up next? Maybe on some condo in Chicago....

It's too bad there weren't any real plans for them to be used again but I am glad they didn't just destroy them. Thanks for the info. :D

United Artists Theater really is a fantastic building! I love it. The artwork on the windows is so unique.

My favorites were the ones of the Freedom Fireworks festival, the one right after it of the skyline at dusk, and the one of the skyline though the broken glass (I love the perspective).

BTW: In the picture of the David Stott and Penobscot Buildings, is it just me or does the Penobscot look something like the Empire State Building in New York? (I've asked before and haven't gotten an answer....perhaps Detroiters are sensitive about it, I don't mean any offense.)

United Artists Theater really is a fantastic building! I love it. The artwork on the windows is so unique.

My favorites were the ones of the Freedom Fireworks festival, the one right after it of the skyline at dusk, and the one of the skyline though the broken glass (I love the perspective).

BTW: In the picture of the David Stott and Penobscot Buildings, is it just me or does the Penobscot look something like the Empire State Building in New York? (I've asked before and haven't gotten an answer....perhaps Detroiters are sensitive about it, I don't mean any offense.)

I wasn't positive on the name of the building but I was thinking the same thing.

The Penobscot might look like the Empire State Building, but the Penobscot was completed in 1928. Construction on the ESB didn't start until 1930. The Penobscot was criticized when it was first built because the design was so plain.

The paintings on the windows of the UA Theater have now been completely removed.

2005_09_08.jpg

Some of the windows are documented here.

Great thread Allan. Your photos are great and the commentary superb.

I have one minor correction though, Old Main was not Detroit's first high school. The first was on the second floor of the old capitol building, where Capitol Park is. I'm not sure if Old Main was the first school designed with that intended use though.

Again, great set of photos, Allan! Would you happen to have a photo of the old Studebaker Plant and Piquette Market Building. It was beautiful. I still remember that night like it was yesterday. From WSU, it looked like the entire city was burning to the ground.

Thanks everyone!

Chow, you're right. Old Main was the first something though....I guess I'll have to look back through my info to try to find out what it was.

Michi, I do have a photo of the Studebaker & market before it burned. I'll post it as soon as I get photoshop reinstalled on my computer. I watched the entire thing unfold on tv, but I still regret not driving down to see it in person. My friend Bobby has some excellent photos from the fire here.

Archived