Tallahassee Homes Overvalued

Florida

She sold her South Florida house, a small two-bedroom, for $325,000. In Tallahassee, she bought a three-bedroom, two-bathroom home with a fireplace, wooden deck and two-car garage for $180,000. She had plenty left over to buy a winter wardrobe.

"I paid off everything I owed, put money in the bank, bought a beautiful house and can afford to work part-time," she said. "I don't regret it for a minute. I miss my friends and my family, but to me it's like heaven up here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen this type of thing done when I have been visiting California cities by places in the interior of CA and cities in NV and AZ. They used billboards, ads in newspapers and banners on webpages.

Too bad that advertising to the huge crowds in SFL is so expensive! Billboards down there are 3-6 times as much as they are here. (As much as $15k/mo for 1 board)

TJ do you know what would be the best office to contact and what the proper procedure would be?

Not asking you to do it, just how it should be done.

The closest organization I can think of is the EDC, which is a division of the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce. However, they are mostly in charged of luring businesses, not individuals. Their premise is the former will create demand for the latter.

BTW - I think St. Joe and other developers might already be advertising out of market to fill the homes they are bullding.

BTW - I think St. Joe and other developers might already be advertising out of market to fill the homes they are bullding.

I think St. Joe is really the fuel in our fire right now. Since the kick-off of Southwood, Tallahassee has been booming all over. Its great to have big-money marketing our region so strongly nationwide.

I think St. Joe is really the fuel in our fire right now. Since the kick-off of Southwood, Tallahassee has been booming all over. Its great to have big-money marketing our region so strongly nationwide.

I fully agree with your statement.

St. Joe does run a good deal of national advertising. I see them almost weekly in the Wall Street Journal advertising all of their florida properties including Southwood. You will find them in almost every issue of Southern Living magazine, Cottage Living, Southern Accents, etc. I would guess they are also advertising in many other publications that I don't subscribe to. I think their biggest problem in Southwood right now is they cannot build the homes as fast as they are selling.

Speaking of fountains: they are all fine and good to look at, but I prefer something more like this:

http://www.cityofwpb.com/parks/centennial.htm

I love it. This is exactly the sort of idea that should be driving the reimagination of Cascades Park. If it will ever become a family-friendly downtown destination park, then it will need this kind of summer attraction. A truly excellent reference DaiDreamer5, now what other sorts of street-level, light waterpark style installations might be available out there and how do we get a proposal to the proper city planner's desk?

Go thru Blueprint 2000 if you want this to end up at Cascades park. Jim Davis is the man to talk to there. You could also talk to Tallahassee Parks and Rec. if you'd like to see something like this around Kleman Plaza, or in any other city park.

If all else fails, you can write a commissioner, or write all of them, and then show up at a commission meeting as an unagendaded speaker.

I love it. This is exactly the sort of idea that should be driving the reimagination of Cascades Park. If it will ever become a family-friendly downtown destination park, then it will need this kind of summer attraction. A truly excellent reference DaiDreamer5, now what other sorts of street-level, light waterpark style installations might be available out there and how do we get a proposal to the proper city planner's desk?

I don't know much about water parks. I can't swim! :lol:

But perhaps in addition to foutains, you could have a small wading pool with a fountain in the middle for the little kids that are too young for the fountians. Though that might be more trouble than its worth. Standing water is harder to maintain than water that goes down a drain.

As for letter writing, I always felt like an idiot with writing a prusadsive (sp?) letter. It's not my best form of writing and I really don't think it helps except to add to the number of letters recieved on the subject.

Speaking of fountains: they are all fine and good to look at, but I prefer something more like this:

http://www.cityofwpb.com/parks/centennial.htm

SouthWood has one of these lovely interactive fountains located by the grassy area & park benches in front of Town Center. Granted, it's not as large as the one shown in WPB but it's still very nice.

Archived