Economic Competitiveness

PVDJack

An email to employees about these changes referred to the PVD HQ, which would imply that there is no intent to move in the short term. The new CEO is based in Philadelphia, however it should also be noted that Larry Fish lives in Boston and the HQ was still in PVD.

My fingers are crossed that Citizens will stay here.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An email to employees about these changes referred to the PVD HQ, which would imply that there is no intent to move in the short term. The new CEO is based in Philadelphia, however it should also be noted that Larry Fish lives in Boston and the HQ was still in PVD.

My fingers are crossed that Citizens will stay here.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A Massachusetts bioengineering company has decided against an expansion in Rhode Island.

Instead, Canton-based Oranogenesis plans to stay in Massachusetts and expand there.

That's the word today from Gov. Deval Patrick.

Organogenesis, which makes living skin substitutes, had been thinking about expanding in Rhode Island and had even picked out a site. But the president and CEO of the company, Geoff MacKay, says Patrick's commitment to promote life sciences research in Massachusetts helped convince the firm to stay.

It reversed course after Patrick announced a $1 billion life sciences initiative last month.

Organogenesis will add 300 new highly skilled jobs, doubling its existing employee base and expanding its facilities to 250,000 square feet.

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/newsbl...ny_de.html#more

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/27/real_estat...ities/index.htm

The 258 fastest growing U.S. cities

Here's the stats on all 258 cities listed by the Census Bureau and Northeast is falling behind, with Pvd ranked 240th and Boston 246th. The Region might need to do something together to reverse this downward spiral trend and achieve synergy.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/27/real_estat...ities/index.htm

The 258 fastest growing U.S. cities

Here's the stats on all 258 cities listed by the Census Bureau and Northeast is falling behind, with Pvd ranked 240th and Boston 246th. The Region might need to do something together to reverse this downward spiral trend and achieve synergy.

Looking at city propers for growth makes no sense when comparing cities who can annex versus those who cannot, like Boston and Providence and many other northeastern cities. And the census bureau has proved miserable at its estimates of growth and decline in the past, so I'm not too worried.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That's really pretty bad. There's much work to be done to get your metro to be competitive. Springfield and Worcester are both faring far better according to their rankings and Hartford, Boston, and Albany are all doing fairly well. New Haven was ranked in the top 20. Why does Metro Providence have it so rough and is there something that can be done?

Springfield Republican American

Worcester joined Springfield in the middle 20 cities ranked from 40 to 60. Hartford, Boston and Albany-Schenectady-Troy, N.Y., all ranked from 20 to 40. Providence, R.I., was 91st.

Unfortunatly the words RI and competative shouldnt be in the same sentance right now. I dont know what it is but this state is not going to turn around until the populations mindsets turn around. We chase everything good out of the state and just become content with being a parking lot for surrounding states. Even now as I type this the states second largest money generating entity is filing for chapter 11.

When, and I do say when, Twin River closes up shop and gets transformed into more useless condos, like we need like a hole in the head, our taxes will continue to rise as we work our out of state jobs and spend out money out of state. Until this state collapses onto itself.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_state_budgets

"The governor of Pennsylvania is proposing a 16 percent tax increase. A budget veto by the Illinois governor left the state with no spending plan at all. Indiana barely avoided a shutdown."

Now can we stop shoving negative local news down each others throats, create a new topic about the positive things happening in the state, and posts happy news on a daily basis in that topic?

Archived