Birkdale Village vs. Phillips Place

mallguy

I have to entertain a few Manhattanites (guys who really have no interest in shopping, but I can't think of much else to do) in Charlotte this weekend. Which lifestyle center is more entertaining- Birkdale Village or Phillips Place- for lunch, a movie, and strolling around? Oddly enough, Phillips Place doesn't have a website, and my recollections of the sole drive-through I've done of the place seem to be that it has mainly a bunch of high-end women's clothing stores and a movie theater. Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To directly answer your question I think both a very different. Birkdale is larger and has more to offer in terms of common shopping but Phillips Place is certainly more upscale (for both men and women). Birkdale is Fox and Hound and Banana Republic while Phillips is more Dean and Deluca Wine and The Palm.

I don't want to be rude but may I suggest neither? The only reason I say this is that no matter where you take Manhattanite's to shop in Charlotte they are likely to be disappointed since NY is a shopping mecca (especially if they are not into shopping). I would definitely head uptown. You can pick up free walking tours of the public art uptown or a free walking tour of historic Fourth Ward. You can take them to see the Ben Long frescos in BofA corporate (the largest secular frescos in the world). Have a traditional Southern Style lunch at Mert's Heart and Soul on College St. Go for a drink at RiRa's Irish Pub (the interior of this pub is actually a real Irish Pub that was dismantled in Ireland and put back together in Charlotte and if the weather is nice they have a wonderful patio overlooking Hearst Plaza). Spend an hour in the Levine Museum of the New South and learn some of the city's history or the Mint Museum of Craft and design. Check out all of the projects that are going up uptown (this forum can tell you all about those). BofA offers a small free art gallery in the base of the Hearst Tower as well. Places like Blue are also great for lunch. Take a drive down Queens and check out the Myers Park Mansions. Perhaps Latta Plantation, Rosedale, or the Alexander Hezekiah homesite would be of interest to them. These are things I can think of off the top of my head but I could think of more later. This way they get a better picture of what Charlotte is all about and they leave with a sense of knowing the city better instead of The Gap.

Birkdale also has that neighborhood charm about it that Phillips place lacks. I usually see more people at Birkdale than Phillips place, but in the Phillips area more than Birkdale, so if their from manhattan, maybe you should take them to the spot where theres more pedestrian activity. :) Make 'em feel a little at home.

Archived