Hot Springs attractions

bigboyz05

Hot Springs won't grow into the village...the land between would prevent that...it's rugged, a little mountainous and just not suitable for that kind of growth.

actually, most of the land and population are in garland county.

Garland County Hot Springs Village CDP (pt) 6,656

Saline County Hot Springs Village CDP (pt) 1,741

I stand corrected :-)

I was looking at the developments on google earth, and the looked much more so in Saline county

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Little Rock keeps growing I still think it's possible that Hot Springs might end up in the Little Rock metro. I could see more people going that direction than to Pine Bluff. :D

It's possible if it happens sooner than later...but as Hot Springs continues to grow, and a few counties are added to its metro, it is going to also continue to form a metro identity of its on. Part of the requirements for a county to be added to a metro are it has to either be contiguous to the central county or half of its population has to travel to the central county to work. Hot Springs is booming and gaining new jobs all over the board in every sector...it's highly doubtful that 50 percent of the county's population will travel to Little Rock for work when they have jobs right there and it's so far. Only 30% of Faulkner County residents travel to Pulaski County for work, but it's contiguous, so it can still be a part of the metro.

It's possible if it happens sooner than later...but as Hot Springs continues to grow, and a few counties are added to its metro, it is going to also continue to form a metro identity of its on. Part of the requirements for a county to be added to a metro are it has to either be contiguous to the central county or half of its population has to travel to the central county to work. Hot Springs is booming and gaining new jobs all over the board in every sector...it's highly doubtful that 50 percent of the county's population will travel to Little Rock for work when they have jobs right there and it's so far. Only 30% of Faulkner County residents travel to Pulaski County for work, but it's contiguous, so it can still be a part of the metro.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lies of when the Little Rock metro keeps sprawling out and suddenly Hot Springs becomes the 'in' place to live for people working in Little Rock. Litte Rock is big enough to affect a city the size of Hot Springs like that. I think distance is the only thing that may hold it back.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lies of when the Little Rock metro keeps sprawling out and suddenly Hot Springs becomes the 'in' place to live for people working in Little Rock. Litte Rock is big enough to affect a city the size of Hot Springs like that. I think distance is the only thing that may hold it back.

Yeah, we're talking like an hour's drive from WLR or downtown to Hot Springs, and that doesn't count traffic.

They don't even have a freeway from Hot Springs over to I-30! They should've done that long ago.

As far as Little Rock sprawling west, it won't spread too much further west, there has to be a stopping point.

It won't go into Perry County. The areas out in WLR will just fill in and become more dense.

Yeah, we're talking like an hour's drive from WLR or downtown to Hot Springs, and that doesn't count traffic.

They don't even have a freeway from Hot Springs over to I-30! They should've done that long ago.

As far as Little Rock sprawling west, it won't spread too much further west, there has to be a stopping point.

It won't go into Perry County. The areas out in WLR will just fill in and become more dense.

Yeah I am a bit surprised as much of a tourist areas it is that the didn't put in a I-30 connector over to Hot Springs. Although I admit that is a pretty nice highway they have there now. Just not an interstate quality road.

Yeah I am a bit surprised as much of a tourist areas it is that the didn't put in a I-30 connector over to Hot Springs. Although I admit that is a pretty nice highway they have there now. Just not an interstate quality road.

Yeah, it's a good alternating 3-Lane. They have the by-pass completed to Hwy. 70 now, so I'm sure they'll eventually build an expressway over to I-30 from there...it's only about 20 miles.

Yeah, it's a good alternating 3-Lane. They have the by-pass completed to Hwy. 70 now, so I'm sure they'll eventually build an expressway over to I-30 from there...it's only about 20 miles.

It would seem a very natural thing to do. I wonder when they might seriously start thinking about doing it.

It would seem a very natural thing to do. I wonder when they might seriously start thinking about doing it.

I would think that they would have to be already thinking about it. They wouldn't have to do much to get started on it, they already have the right-of-way for it...my guess though would be that it would be an interstate with a concrete wall instead of a median. It would probably be given the designation of I-230 or I-330.

I would think that they would have to be already thinking about it. They wouldn't have to do much to get started on it, they already have the right-of-way for it...my guess though would be that it would be an interstate with a concrete wall instead of a median. It would probably be given the designation of I-230 or I-330.

Aren't interstates with a concrete barrier usually urban interstates and have to have lower speed limits? I do know the number won't be I-330. It's even numbers for east-west roads and odd for north-south.

Aren't interstates with a concrete barrier usually urban interstates and have to have lower speed limits? I do know the number won't be I-330. It's even numbers for east-west roads and odd for north-south.

Concrete barriers are used anytiime there's a shortage in right-of-way...which is usually in urban areas...but no, they do not have lower speeds. I-30 between Benton and Little Rock is 6 lanes with a concrete barrier, and the speed limit is 70. It is 60 and 65 in parts of Little Rock though, but not because of the barrier...all cities lower their speeds on interstates in certain areas. It could be I-330, they may decide to call it a north/south route lol, but probably not. I-30 is more of a north/south route, but it's labeled east/west.

Concrete barriers are used anytiime there's a shortage in right-of-way...which is usually in urban areas...but no, they do not have lower speeds. I-30 between Benton and Little Rock is 6 lanes with a concrete barrier, and the speed limit is 70. It is 60 and 65 in parts of Little Rock though, but not because of the barrier...all cities lower their speeds on interstates in certain areas. It could be I-330, they may decide to call it a north/south route lol, but probably not. I-30 is more of a north/south route, but it's labeled east/west.

Yeah most of the time the concrete barriers are used in urban areas. I wasn't sure if that would effect it being labeled an 'urban' interstate. I think they have lower speed limits but are also allowed to have more than one exit a mile. There was some talk about this because of I-540 in NWA.

Yeah most of the time the concrete barriers are used in urban areas. I wasn't sure if that would effect it being labeled an 'urban' interstate. I think they have lower speed limits but are also allowed to have more than one exit a mile. There was some talk about this because of I-540 in NWA.

I think most of the time they are used, so that they don't have to use any additional land...they can just use the median. I-430 in Little Rock is a 6 lane urban interstate that has a median rather than a concrete barrier...they built it that way and had the land for it. When they upgrade it to 8 lanes, they will use the median, rather than acquire additonal right of way on the outer sides. If it had been built a 4 lane and upgraded to a 6 lane, it would've already had a concrete barrier. When they upgrade I-40 from LR to Conway, it will have a concrete barrier, but it will not be an urban interstate and the speed limit will still be 70.

Usually.

The Concrete Barrier is often used instead of a median to help save valuable land. I'm not sure NWA's plan on the median of I-540 in the future, but I would like to see it more of an urban Interstate.

Hot Springs is also getting some "games of skill" at Oaklawn Park this year. They won't have them in time for racing season because the gaming commission has to decide which games will be allowed. It's pretty well known that video poker will be among them. With this and other things happening at Oaklawn, it will make it more of a year-round park. It is also supposed to add around 500 jobs.

No. That's what the gaming commission is in the process of deciding.

I'd just bet the horses anyway. At least you can make yourself believe that instead of gambling you're making an educated decision on a more probable outcome though my wallet generally finds this is not the case. My grandmother has box seats on the finish line, took her more than 30 years to get there from the Jockey Club. We also have a condo over on Long Island. Hot Springs sure is a fun and unique place.

Yes, it is a fun and unique place. I look forward to seeing more attractions and development in the area. It has the potential to become a decently-large city.

I'd like to see some of the parts of Central around Oaklawn improved. A lot of the hotels and strip malls from the 50s and 60s are run-down as downtown has gradually improved in condition (though there are still some older buildings I would like to see redone) and the areas out by the lake have grown into a shopping and retail district.

I haven't been to HS Mall in years but if it's still the same that place could use a drastic overhaul. I think the good news is the area can support enough retail to merit the overhaul.

You are sure right about that area of Central in midtown...they need to really work on that...a lot of it is just an eyesore. Those old motels should be condemned. Retail is really beginning to boom in Hot Springs. At long last, the empty part of Central between the mall and the expressway is beginning to be filled in with development. The mall is scheduled to be overhauled, but I'm not sure to what extent. The first phase of it was done last year. They expanded and remodeled the Dillard's inside and out. It looks very nice now. Other mall improvements I think are scheduled for this year.

I was there in the spring but I don't recall those bird statues. What bathhouse are they in front of?

Buckstaff, I think. You know, everybody is always asking about posting pics. I notice most people use imageshack or photobucket. I just happened to notice that you can upload and post when you are posting...so why do more people not just use the board to post their pics? It seems easier, and puts it in as a thumbnail to click on.

Buckstaff, I think. You know, everybody is always asking about posting pics. I notice most people use imageshack or photobucket. I just happened to notice that you can upload and post when you are posting...so why do more people not just use the board to post their pics? It seems easier, and puts it in as a thumbnail to click on.

I think sometimes getting people's attention is a problem. I prefer to post the real pic not a thumbnail although I guess it makes it a more tidy post and topic by having thumbnails. I guess I just prefer being able to go back and forth more easily between pics. I guess I also just like having the pic jump at you right there on the screen as soon as you load up the topic. But that's just my personal preference. :D

Archived