Hot Springs attractions

bigboyz05

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ripley's Believe it or Not wanted to open up in one of them, but the NPS denied them, saying that it wasn't a proper use for it. I think that would've been great.

The closest one I can think of is in Branson. They really are great museums. It's a shame they didn't build one in Hot Springs, it's the perfect market.

Ripley's Believe it or Not wanted to open up in one of them, but the NPS denied them, saying that it wasn't a proper use for it. I think that would've been great.

I agree. Maybe they'll consider building one somwhere over by the Wax Museum. I've been to a couple Ripley's museums and I think one in Hot Springs would do really well. Hot Springs has a pretty good diversity of different types of attractions but things like that are year-round attractions, something HS has much fewer of.

All "Supertarget" means is that includes a grocery store. If the LR market were to convert the stores to SuperTargets and HS (were it to get a store) and Conway would be included. The pro in that direction is a large regional Target distribution center in Maumelle.

There is a Target set to open this fall in Benton/Bryant, which is only 30 min or so from Hot Springs.

Like you said, a SuperTarget does only mean that it adds a grocery store, but still, Target won't put SuperTarget stores everywhere. Even as rapidly as north Bossier is growing, they're only starting out with a Target store and leaving open an option to add the Archer Farms Market and make it a SuperTarget.

The only downside to a SuperTarget, as far as I've seen, is that the clothing departments are typically considerably smaller than a regular Target. I don't know why that is, but I know the clothing departments at the Shreveport SuperTarget are much smaller than the ones at the Texarkana Target store. Weird.

EDIT:

I hate how the forums take me to the first new post since I visited. I often don't look any further because I think I've gone to the last post. Sorry for responding to an old post... it happens sometimes.

I agree that Hot Springs would be a great location for a Ripley's. I love the one in Grand Prairie (metro Dallas) and wish there was one in Hot Springs, as often as I go up there. I wonder what the competition would have meant to the existing wax museum in downtown Hot Springs, though, if the Ripley's had contained a wax museum like the one in Grand Prairie.

Like you said, a SuperTarget does only mean that it adds a grocery store, but still, Target won't put SuperTarget stores everywhere. Even as rapidly as north Bossier is growing, they're only starting out with a Target store and leaving open an option to add the Archer Farms Market and make it a SuperTarget.

The only downside to a SuperTarget, as far as I've seen, is that the clothing departments are typically considerably smaller than a regular Target. I don't know why that is, but I know the clothing departments at the Shreveport SuperTarget are much smaller than the ones at the Texarkana Target store. Weird.

Now that you mention it, I've noticed the same phenomenon at Super Targets.

I don't buy much clothing there but I really like the grocery offerings, so I would prefer the Super Target.

There's also a big difference between "Super Targets". In Dallas there are two off of Skillman Road about a mile apart. One has a huge grocery selection the size of a large supercenter. The other, which was recently upgraded from a standard Target, has about 1/5 of the grocery offerings. Both have the Starbucks, Pizza Hut Express, etc.

There are no Super Targets in Central Ark yet but the one in West LR could easily be converted to one.

Now that you mention it, I've noticed the same phenomenon at Super Targets.

I don't buy much clothing there but I really like the grocery offerings, so I would prefer the Super Target.

There's also a big difference between "Super Targets". In Dallas there are two off of Skillman Road about a mile apart. One has a huge grocery selection the size of a large supercenter. The other, which was recently upgraded from a standard Target, has about 1/5 of the grocery offerings. Both have the Starbucks, Pizza Hut Express, etc.

There are no Super Targets in Central Ark yet but the one in West LR could easily be converted to one.

The Little Rock metro area is ripe for this type of development. Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette all now have at least one SuperTarget store, so I'm very surprised to know that there are none in central Arkansas. I know Wal-Mart has a good grip on Arkansas, but I'm still surprised. Once metro Little Rock gets a taste of SuperTarget, I believe the concept will catch on. I much prefer it to a Wal-Mart Supercenter. While SuperTarget may be more expensive, it's generally less crowded and tends to attract a somewhat classier overall clientele than the Wal-Mart Supercenters in my region. I would expect it to be the same in other regions. And for the record, I don't know why, but the Shreveport SuperTarget has the Starbucks but has the Target grill rather than Pizza Hut. Sure there's a Pizza Hut around the corner, but there are also two other Starbucks stores within the same block as well so I don't understand the reasoning.

The Little Rock metro area is ripe for this type of development. Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette all now have at least one SuperTarget store, so I'm very surprised to know that there are none in central Arkansas. I know Wal-Mart has a good grip on Arkansas, but I'm still surprised. Once metro Little Rock gets a taste of SuperTarget, I believe the concept will catch on. I much prefer it to a Wal-Mart Supercenter. While SuperTarget may be more expensive, it's generally less crowded and tends to attract a somewhat classier overall clientele than the Wal-Mart Supercenters in my region. I would expect it to be the same in other regions. And for the record, I don't know why, but the Shreveport SuperTarget has the Starbucks but has the Target grill rather than Pizza Hut. Sure there's a Pizza Hut around the corner, but there are also two other Starbucks stores within the same block as well so I don't understand the reasoning.

I'm with you. In Dallas sometimes the convenience of an Albertson's or Kroger's makes me go there but I do a lot of grocery shopping at Target. Archer Farms really is just excellent quality for a store brand and they offer really creative items.

I hope you're right and this is on Target's agenda soon. Maybe all they are waiting for is to get the midtown Target they want and they'll start doing it. There's a large Target distribution center in Maumelle so that should help.

-----------------------------------------------

Regarding Hot Springs, I think more needs to be done to make it a bit more of a national rather than regional destination. I always kind of hoped Magic Springs would get bought by more of a "brand" amusement group. Silver Dollar City would work well there but it is a little too close to Branson. Most of the tourism is semi-local - it comes from AR, TX, LA and to a lesser degree OK and most of this is really from Arkansas, SBC, and DFW. I think more museum/novelty options like Ripley would help as well. I think the lake is grossly underutilized as an "urban lake" and mid-rise condos and more lakefront restaurants could help. Hot Springs really hasn't tapped most of its potential.

They have a website:

Museum of Contemporary Art

Unfortunately, they think "prospective" is spelled "perspective" which ruins what otherwise is a fine website.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know Hot Springs had a Museum of Contemporary Art. I'm not trying to knock their collection of art but is this really a great collection like some of the hype seemed to imply? It seems nice but I guess it doesn't seem like much compared to many other cities.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know Hot Springs had a Museum of Contemporary Art. I'm not trying to knock their collection of art but is this really a great collection like some of the hype seemed to imply? It seems nice but I guess it doesn't seem like much compared to many other cities.

It's going to be pretty small unless a big donor comes out and gets behind it. Little Rock's museum was really bolstered by contributions (of both works of art and money) from the Rockefellers and Stephens. Crystal Bridges' collection will be almost solely donated by the Waltons. For this sort of museum to work it will need someone with a lot of money behind it and Hot Springs doesn't have an ample supply of megamillionaires. Perhaps the Cellas, who live in St Louis but own Oaklawn, could be behind this.

Regardless, it is nice that its focus is on contemporary art which won't conflict with the two larger museums.

Hot Springs is widely recognized as one of the best smaller cities in America for the arts because it is home to many artists and has a lot of galleries as well as the famous Documentary Film Festival.

It's going to be pretty small unless a big donor comes out and gets behind it. Little Rock's museum was really bolstered by contributions (of both works of art and money) from the Rockefellers and Stephens. Crystal Bridges' collection will be almost solely donated by the Waltons. For this sort of museum to work it will need someone with a lot of money behind it and Hot Springs doesn't have an ample supply of megamillionaires. Perhaps the Cellas, who live in St Louis but own Oaklawn, could be behind this.

Regardless, it is nice that its focus is on contemporary art which won't conflict with the two larger museums.

Hot Springs is widely recognized as one of the best smaller cities in America for the arts because it is home to many artists and has a lot of galleries as well as the famous Documentary Film Festival.

True, and I do imagine Hot Springs has more arts than many other cities larger than it too. I guess I was just expecting a bit too much out of this.

Regarding Hot Springs, I think more needs to be done to make it a bit more of a national rather than regional destination. I always kind of hoped Magic Springs would get bought by more of a "brand" amusement group. Silver Dollar City would work well there but it is a little too close to Branson. Most of the tourism is semi-local - it comes from AR, TX, LA and to a lesser degree OK and most of this is really from Arkansas, SBC, and DFW. I think more museum/novelty options like Ripley would help as well. I think the lake is grossly underutilized as an "urban lake" and mid-rise condos and more lakefront restaurants could help. Hot Springs really hasn't tapped most of its potential.

True, Hot Springs has a LOT of potential. I've been pleasantly surprised that things seem to be looking up over the last few years. Even earlier this year when I was up there, I saw even more new condos being built along Lake Hamilton. Not only on the "touristy" side by all the hotels and restaurants, but out near the heavily residential areas as well.

One thing I hated to see Hot Springs lose, if anyone here had ever eaten there, was Hamilton House restaurant. That was a very nice place for a romantic dinner date. Prices weren't outrageous but relatively high. But that's to be expected of an upscale restaurant. I hated to see that go.

Magic Springs advertises down here, and to be honest the commercials make it look like a Six Flags. They have wll-known live music performances every season, and they advertise those as well. I've never been to Magic Springs, basically because I can always find something else to do in Hot Springs. Even if it's just to sit on the back porch of the condo and watch the boats go by.

True, Hot Springs has a LOT of potential. I've been pleasantly surprised that things seem to be looking up over the last few years. Even earlier this year when I was up there, I saw even more new condos being built along Lake Hamilton. Not only on the "touristy" side by all the hotels and restaurants, but out near the heavily residential areas as well.

One thing I hated to see Hot Springs lose, if anyone here had ever eaten there, was Hamilton House restaurant. That was a very nice place for a romantic dinner date. Prices weren't outrageous but relatively high. But that's to be expected of an upscale restaurant. I hated to see that go.

Magic Springs advertises down here, and to be honest the commercials make it look like a Six Flags. They have wll-known live music performances every season, and they advertise those as well. I've never been to Magic Springs, basically because I can always find something else to do in Hot Springs. Even if it's just to sit on the back porch of the condo and watch the boats go by.

Some of the new condos on the lake are really impressive. There are some on Anthony Island near Central Ave that have Savannah-style facades that are pricy and first class. There are several other new developments at different points around the lake. Still, I think there is a lot of untapped potential. There are very few resort-caliber hotels near the lake.

I thought Hamilton House reopened. I went by it in a boat a few mos ago and it was clearly open, unless it became a different type of restaurant.

Magic Springs is OK. It has its own old-time American charm to it but the ride selection is very limited.

• 1 month later...

Wow Hamilton House is gone... wow

I hope Ripleys comes to HS somewhere, i agree they need some more attractions. Althought Mid-america museam is not bad, I had fun there as a kid anyways playing with the big box of dirt and water where you could build continents and oceans with pumps.

Archived