Arkansas metro with highest cost of living

bigboyz05

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it Little Rock or the booming metropolis of the northwest, NWA? As for the lowest, I think it's between Texarkana and Pine Bluff. Jonesboro, Fort Smith and Hot Springs I think fall somewhere in between. Do you agree or disagree?

Not sure about the cost of living...but I know this past year, Jonesboro had the highest home prices...as odd as that is.

Is it Little Rock or the booming metropolis of the northwest, NWA? As for the lowest, I think it's between Texarkana and Pine Bluff. Jonesboro, Fort Smith and Hot Springs I think fall somewhere in between. Do you agree or disagree?

Pine Bluff I'm pretty sure has the lowest by far. I know they have some of the cheapest real estate in the nation as far as metros go. I know the housing market here in NWA has gone above a lot of other areas including Dallas in the average price of a home. But overall I would think Little Rock would probably have a higher cost of living overall. I would think NWA would be second. Not sure where the other metros would fall.

Not sure about the cost of living...but I know this past year, Jonesboro had the highest home prices...as odd as that is.

You sure about Jonesboro? I could see maybe highest increase or something. But I just can't see Jonesboro having higher home prices than Little Rock or NWA.

Pine Bluff I'm pretty sure has the lowest by far. I know they have some of the cheapest real estate in the nation as far as metros go. I know the housing market here in NWA has gone above a lot of other areas including Dallas in the average price of a home. But overall I would think Little Rock would probably have a higher cost of living overall. I would think NWA would be second. Not sure where the other metros would fall.

You sure about Jonesboro? I could see maybe highest increase or something. But I just can't see Jonesboro having higher home prices than Little Rock or NWA.

I'm pretty sure it was highest home prices in the state...I think it was in Arkansas Business. I can't find anything on it though.

I'm questioning those figures, because all of the city populations they have are wrong.

Hmm...the numbers I see for NWA seem to be estimates. I've heard Fayetteville estimated having 72,000. I can't say I would be able to know about the other cities outside NWA. I admit I have no idea where they got these numbers. They all could be some odd estimates for all I know. :D

Hmm...the numbers I see for NWA seem to be estimates. I've heard Fayetteville estimated having 72,000. I can't say I would be able to know about the other cities outside NWA. I admit I have no idea where they got these numbers. They all could be some odd estimates for all I know. :D

Maybe...however, they have actual census figures for the counties.

I looked at Little Rock...it has Little Rock at 201,000...we've never been estimated that high.

Maybe...however, they have actual census figures for the counties.

I looked at Little Rock...it has Little Rock at 201,000...we've never been estimated that high.

I do know especially up here in NWA that population figures tend to go out of date quickly. They have some way of estimating population extrapolating an average number times how many houses there are and so on. Even if the numbers aren't correct it's sorta interesting to see.

That's hard to believe that Jonesboro beats out Little Rock and especially Rogers and Bentonville. Many homes in West and South Rogers are at an average of atlest $250,000+.

Cost of living indices from Yahoo:

Nat'l Average 99.52

Little Rock 81.8

Ft Smith 80.1

Fayetteville 81.7

Springdale 81.2

Rogers 85.3

Texarkana 70.8

Jonesboro 78.7

Pine Bluff 79.6

Conway 79.7

Thanks for those numbers Aporkalypse. I'm a bit surprised Pine Bluff was as high as it was. Looks like Bigboyz' Mom might be going from the lowest cost of living in the state to perhaps the highest.

I was surprised about Pine Bluff as well, I would've thought it would be the lowest.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out what could drive up the cost of living there. It certainly isn't the housing/real estate market. I've heard some of southeast Arkansas has some of the highest sales taxes in the state. I wonder if that could br driving Pine Bluff up.

Archived