Why sprawl is not bad

Jerseyman4

When you say Burlington is fixing any mistakes, what do you mean? Are there any mixed-use projects going in? Are there projects being built close to the street with parking behind?

By that i mean the city of Burlington has finally adopted strict land use plans along University drive and the "new" west burlington. There have been talks to make land-scapping ordinaces city-wide but there has been alot of oppostion to it. The city messed up by trying to get development fast without sidewalks. Unfortunately only now has Burlington began to look at starting a bus service again. The lack of busses and sidewalks puts the city in a bind. Along University Drive (Western alamance loop) you can find jogging trails and crosswalks. The city needs someone to step in and take action with a "urban planet" mindset. I will say mixed use would be great anywhere in East Burlington with some pedestrian friendly infrastructure. East Burlington is Burlington's forgotten side as West Burlington marches towards greensboro at a very fast rate. sorry i went off topic but i have alot to say..let me know if you have anymore questions though.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By that i mean the city of Burlington has finally adopted strict land use plans along University drive and the "new" west burlington. There have been talks to make land-scapping ordinaces city-wide but there has been alot of oppostion to it. The city messed up by trying to get development fast without sidewalks. Unfortunately only now has Burlington began to look at starting a bus service again. The lack of busses and sidewalks puts the city in a bind. Along University Drive (Western alamance loop) you can find jogging trails and crosswalks. The city needs someone to step in and take action with a "urban planet" mindset. I will say mixed use would be great anywhere in East Burlington with some pedestrian friendly infrastructure. East Burlington is Burlington's forgotten side as West Burlington marches towards greensboro at a very fast rate. sorry i went off topic but i have alot to say..let me know if you have anymore questions though.

Burlington IS investigating fixed-route transit. This is a very good thing. Here is a webpage with their study:

http://www.mpo.burlington.nc.us/

If you look at the cities along the NCRR corridor, the only cities without public transit near the rail station are:

*Kannapolis

*Burlington

*Salisbury

Burlington IS investigating fixed-route transit. This is a very good thing. Here is a webpage with their study:

http://www.mpo.burlington.nc.us/

If you look at the cities along the NCRR corridor, the only cities without public transit near the rail station are:

*Kannapolis

*Burlington

*Salisbury

Alot of people always wonder why burlington lacks fixed transit. The older people of the community talk about a bus system that failed in Alamance county years back. ACTA (alamance county transit authority) does a good job transporting elderly people through out the county. You currently can catch PART and TTA vans in Alamance county. A fixed guideway could be sucessful if it reached from Gibsonville to Mebane.

I think we might be surprised how easily residential suburbs could be converted back to farms and forest, if that became the most valuble use for the land.

I also think we will see some "modern ghost towns" in our lifetimes (or children's) in the west. Water could become too scarce and expensive, gasoline too, for supporting desert golf-club style exurbs. People in 2100 may look at some of these ruins and bemusedly say "What the hell were they thinking?"

Archived