Broadway street improvements?

chris holman

It was just a thought, but after seeing how nice Church Street is now after the improvements, could Broadway benefit from a redevelopment seemlier to that one? At one time, I thought the city was going redevelop Broadway. I Think since there is so much going on south of Broadway, it would be good to bring Broadway up, to blend nicely with the newer developments downtown. What do you think? :rolleyes:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100%. I do remember some of the earlier discussions, Chris, and even remember seeing some preliminary drawings. I don't think the talks could come to any consensus. I believe some of the talk was about putting planters/medians in the center of the road, but obviously nothing became of it. Since it's such a busy place most of the time, I don't know what they would do. Maybe they could stagger the streetside parking and allow for only taxis, deliveries, and carriage service along the stretch between 1st and 5th, and in between those cutouts, toss in a few "gathering" type of streetscapes. I don't think eliminating spaces needed for the ones I mentioned, but it seems the parking loss for regular local traffic would be minimal. I's sure like to see something break up the wide expanse with some trees and other plantings in the middle. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

I's sure like to see something break up the wide expanse with some trees and other plantings in the middle. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Here, here! Broadway could, with ideas like these, become a grand and dignified boulevard of the highest caliber. I have been on streets which are just as wide, but due to the fact that they are broken up in ways just like you mention, they are both a pleasure to drive and walk on. Broadway is wide enough for a tree-planted median, for sure...I wonder if we could stick some light rail in the middle, as well?

Just imagine, driving downtown on a redeveloped Broadway from west to east ,as you look to your left you see the Viridian, Sun Trust and Sig Tower already built, Looking to your right you see Encore Phase I & II ,the Bass proposed tower and as you approach First Avenue you see the Sounds Stadium and the condos and retail that was proposed there. And strait in front of you will see the 100 foot tall Art work right across the river. This all would be GREAT!!!!! :w00t:

Just imagine, driving downtown on a redeveloped Broadway from west to east ,as you look to your left you see the Viridian, Sun Trust and Sig Tower already built, Looking to your right you see Encore Phase I & II ,the Bass proposed tower and as you approach First Avenue you see the Sounds Stadium and the condos and retail that was proposed there. And strait in front of you will see the 100 foot tall Art work right across the river. This all would be GREAT!!!!! :w00t:

Oh baby that sounds good. muhahahahahahahaha :ph34r:

Archived