Maumelle

There's a lot going on in Maumelle. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the state. It's a very affluent community between North Little Rock and Conway along the Arkansas River. The 2000 census has its population at 10,557. The census estimate for 2004 was 13, 273. That's about 26% growth rate. Current MertoPlan estimates put it at around 16,000. The area is booming with new residential and retail popping up everywhere...seemingly overnight. While a lot of the population commutes over to Little Rock to work...the area has a fast growing job base as well. I will have pics soon to post. I hope to bring attention to this booming area that is often forgotten or overshadowed by the bigger cities.

The Parc at Maumelle is a huge luxury apartment project going on in Maumelle right along the lake beside the city park. There are several buildings that are 4 stories in height. It is being developed by Prime Income Asset Management of Dallas. The company has several luxury apartment communities in the DFW area. Their website is http://www.primeasset.com/aptdevelop.html

There's not really any info about them on the website, other than the mention in the construction list. However, the artist rendering on the site looks a lot like the project in Maumelle.

I'll try to find out more information about them and post it.

They look like they should be completed pretty soon.

Edited by tim2462

There was one in Hot Springs for a few years, but it closed and now there is a Belk there.

I don't know of any ever being around Little Rock, but there possibly could've been one that closed,

Aporkalypse may know about that more than me.

Edited by tim2462

Yeah there had been some Albertson's in western or maybe southwestern Arkansas, but I'm not sure if any are still there. After making a big push into Oklahoma and a little bit into Arkansas I think they overextended themselves. I think they closed a number of Oklahoma stores too. I wouldn't be surprised to see them eventually come back into Arkansas at some point though. They're a pretty well run chain from what I've seen. While we're on the topic of grocery stores I know we have Brookshires in the southern part of the state. Harps being pretty big here in NWA and they are in some other areas of the state. I heard they bought some more stores recently. Seems like they might have been around Russellville. I've wondered if Harps might try to eventually push into central Arkansas. I'm not sure what's in northeast Arkansas.

Edited by Mith242

There was one in Hot Springs for a few years, but it closed and now there is a Belk there.

I don't know of any ever being around Little Rock, but there possibly could've been one that closed,

Aporkalypse may know about that more than me.

At one time there was an Albertson's on Markham. I think it is a Kroger there now. Albertson's bult next to Harry's Market which is no longer there. There might have been one in NLR, also.

This store opened as a Skaggs but in 1969 Albertsons and Skaggs formed a partnership.

Edited by skirby

I know LR has 3 or so Krogers, and North LR has one or two as well. I always though Albertsons had locations in Central AR, but I guess I was wrong.

3 Krogers in LR? There are 6 within 3 miles of my old house. They pepper Central and West LR, it's hard to be more than a mile from one there.

I don't know how many Krogers there are in Pulaski Co but I would guess 25 or more. The main competitor is Harvest Foods, which is the descendant of the old IGA stores. They tend to be slightly smaller and higher in price. LR once had Skaggs Alpha Beta and Safeway but those stores were sold to Kroger and never became Albertson's, which never entered the LR market.

Wal-Mart was a late entry into the LR grocery market, avoiding grocery sales for some reason far later than in other places. I expect Target to be next.

• 2 months later...

There is a special census being conducted in Maumelle right now. I had no idea one was even scheduled. KTHV reported a few days ago on it. That's the first report of it. In 2000, the census count was just over 10,000...the current estimate is around 14,000...the city believes the population to be well over 15,000, possibly 17,000. They are doing this for the same reason as other cities in the state...more turnback funds.

Edited by tim2462

I've heard of Maumelle, but never knew much about it aside from it being a L.R. suburb. I'm glad to hear it's growing so rapidly... is that mostly inner city flight from Little Rock, or is there some industry there bringing in lots of people? Either way, it sounds like Maumelle is doing something right in attracting new residents.

Maumelle has a lot of large employers. There's a big industrial park with a huge Target distribution center.

There's been a lot of development there due to the population increase, retail just needs to catch up. There are a lot of things planned. I need to get over there and find out some info. They desperately need a wal-mart supercenter. They have to drive all the way to I430, then up to Cantrell/hwy 10, then another 6 miles out to the nearest supercenter. Another thing, they could really use a bridge across the Arkansas River into West Little Rock, to ease traffic and keep everyone from having to drive all the way out to 430.

Maumelle is mostly made up of people moving there from out of state. There's a popular saying "If you live in Maumelle, chances are, you aren't from Arkansas." That's an exaggeration though. But, not many people move there from Little Rock. It's mostly natives and people from out of state.

Edited by tim2462

A little history of Maumelle. In the 1960's it was part of North Little Rock. They had plans to develop it into an industrial park but this never came about. The 5,000 acres were sold to Jess Odom in the late 60's to build a "New Town." It was one of the 13 "New Towns" in the United States. A "New Town" was a mater planned "community in which people of varying backgrounds, interests and income levels could live together in a harmonious blending of individual pursuits". In 1974 the first family moved into Maumelle. When the master plan was set up it had a limit on how much the city could grow. I do not know if this is still in effect.

A little history of Maumelle. In the 1960's it was part of North Little Rock. They had plans to develop it into an industrial park but this never came about. The 5,000 acres were sold to Jess Odom in the late 60's to build a "New Town." It was one of the 13 "New Towns" in the United States. A "New Town" was a mater planned "community in which people of varying backgrounds, interests and income levels could live together in a harmonious blending of individual pursuits". In 1974 the first family moved into Maumelle. When the master plan was set up it had a limit on how much the city could grow. I do not know if this is still in effect.

WOW that is a very interesting history. Of course I had no idea... I just assumed it was an urban flight community, but thanks to you and tim2462, I now understand. I still can't get over the history, though... not many towns have interesting histories, but that one really is different. Thanks for filling me in.

Maumelle has a lot of large employers. There's a big industrial park with a huge Target distribution center.

There's been a lot of development there due to the population increase, retail just needs to catch up. There are a lot of things planned. I need to get over there and find out some info. They desperately need a wal-mart supercenter. They have to drive all the way to I430, then up to Cantrell/hwy 10, then another 6 miles out to the nearest supercenter. Another thing, they could really use a bridge across the Arkansas River into West Little Rock, to ease traffic and keep everyone from having to drive all the way out to 430.

Maumelle is mostly made up of people moving there from out of state. There's a popular saying "If you live in Maumelle, chances are, you aren't from Arkansas." That's an exaggeration though. But, not many people move there from Little Rock. It's mostly natives and people from out of state.

Part of Maumelle's charm is due to the lack of something like a supercenter. That is the last thing it needs, in my opinion.

Also, I have spent an extensive amount of time in Maumelle, and have never heard the saying you speak of. A lot of people move their because it is a close, clean, safe area that is convenient to the city. Home prices are reasonable and commutes are short. I have met very few people that have moved their from out of state.

Maumelle is very similar to Port Saint Lucie here in Florida. Port St. Luice is a "New Town" from the 60s or 70s. Maumelle definetly has it as a nicer, more clean city. However, Port St. Luice has a 2005 population of 141,000 and is the fastest growing large city in the US with a 2000 population of only 88,000.

I know plenty of people from NLR and LR that moved to Maumelle. The biggest problem in Maumelle is that it doesn't have its own school district and Oak Grove is pretty inferior to other LR/NLR area schools. A lot of the kids ends up at Central Arkansas Christian, though, and this is fueling that school's growth. A reorganised Pulaski Co Special School District giving Maumelle autonomous schools as has been discussed would no doubt make that community boom even faster and property values would soar.

A friend of mine knows a contractor, and he says that bids are being accepted for a Wal*Mart SuperCenter and a Home Depot to be built in Maumelle. Not much info is available, since it's in the beginning stages. Also, a new major arterial is planned, but no info on that at this time either. Maybe something official will come out on all of this soon.

A friend of mine knows a contractor, and he says that bids are being accepted for a Wal*Mart SuperCenter and a Home Depot to be built in Maumelle. Not much info is available, since it's in the beginning stages. Also, a new major arterial is planned, but no info on that at this time either. Maybe something official will come out on all of this soon.

You would think it would already have a Home Dept. There are a tremendous number of nice home improvement and building supply stores on Maumelle Blvd heading into Maumelle from NLR.

Arkansas Business reports that a Wal*Mart and Home Depot will be built on Maumelle Boulevard but the property is located in North Little Rock. It will be south of a soon to be developed golf course apartment community by Jim Lindesy. This will contain between 550 and 700 apartment units.