Maumelle

^

Very possible. Supertargets are Target's main objective in the future in their means of competing against the Supercenter.

A Supertarget would be very profitable in a market like Little Rock's. LR Grocery Market isn't really dominated by one chain, since it does have a presence of Wal-Mart Supercenters, Krogers, Harvest Foods, etc.

In Pulaski Co itself Kroger rcontrols the market really well. It's tough to find a spot in LR further than two miles from one and at one point I lived less than a mile from three. Harvest Foods is the descendant of the old IGA stores and like Harp's it really isn't terribly competitive - prices are high and the stores are smallish and have limited selection. Kroger is very dedicated to continuing to control the market and is fairly aggressive about opening and renovating stores. Wal-Mart pushed into the grocery market here recently after targeting the suburbs first. The big problem is they haven't put in many neighorhood markets and though the stores in NLR and Hwy 10 are very nice they're packed and inconvenient to most of the city compared to Kroger. A new Supercenter on I-430 would help but I still don't see myself doing regular grocery shopping there.

Target would offer a viable alternative to these and Targets are generally less congested than Wal-Mart, though LR needs 1-2 more. Target sure is aggressive in the Dallas grocery market.

In outlying counties I think Wal-Mart really has a grip on the grocery market already. Target would be a little more upscale alternative, I guess.

In Pulaski Co itself Kroger rcontrols the market really well. It's tough to find a spot in LR further than two miles from one and at one point I lived less than a mile from three. Harvest Foods is the descendant of the old IGA stores and like Harp's it really isn't terribly competitive - prices are high and the stores are smallish and have limited selection. Kroger is very dedicated to continuing to control the market and is fairly aggressive about opening and renovating stores. Wal-Mart pushed into the grocery market here recently after targeting the suburbs first. The big problem is they haven't put in many neighorhood markets and though the stores in NLR and Hwy 10 are very nice they're packed and inconvenient to most of the city compared to Kroger. A new Supercenter on I-430 would help but I still don't see myself doing regular grocery shopping there.

Target would offer a viable alternative to these and Targets are generally less congested than Wal-Mart, though LR needs 1-2 more. Target sure is aggressive in the Dallas grocery market.

In outlying counties I think Wal-Mart really has a grip on the grocery market already. Target would be a little more upscale alternative, I guess.

Little Rock and North Little Rock may be the only places in the state where Wal Mart is not the #1 grocery chain.

Kroger has been very agressive in building new stores on Chenal, Highway 10 and the Heights. And the proposed new store in Maumelle, which is really needed, that may be as large as 100,000 square feet. I live in Maumelle, so I'm looking forward to the new store.

Harvest Foods is a shell of its former self. I used to work for the company before they were purchased by Affiliated Foods. If you go in most of the stores, they seem devoid of people. When Kroger builds its new store in Maumelle, it will be practically next door to the Harvest Foods and will probably put it out of business.

Little Rock and North Little Rock may be the only places in the state where Wal Mart is not the #1 grocery chain.

Kroger has been very agressive in building new stores on Chenal, Highway 10 and the Heights. And the proposed new store in Maumelle, which is really needed, that may be as large as 100,000 square feet. I live in Maumelle, so I'm looking forward to the new store.

Harvest Foods is a shell of its former self. I used to work for the company before they were purchased by Affiliated Foods. If you go in most of the stores, they seem devoid of people. When Kroger builds its new store in Maumelle, it will be practically next door to the Harvest Foods and will probably put it out of business.

If Harvest Foods ever were to sell some stores, it would be ideal for conversion to neighborhood markets. The stores are exactly the right size.

• 2 weeks later...

Where exactly is the new Wal-Mart Supercenter going to be constructed in Maumelle?

I've noticed there is a lot of dirt being moved on the land at the NE corner of the Crystall Hill Road/I-430 intersection, and a new stop light went in a few months back at the intersection of North Shore Drive and Crystal Hill Road, on the east side of this property. Is this the supercenter location? Or is something else going here?

The north shore business park is really growing as well.

Where exactly is the new Wal-Mart Supercenter going to be constructed in Maumelle?

It will be located near Crystal Hill and Maumelle Blvd.(where the new Ffirst Security is), but across the blvd. in the acreage behind and to the left of Suds Car Wash.

I've heard rumor that the want to buy out Blvd. Wine for an entrance.

It will be located near Crystal Hill and Maumelle Blvd.(where the new Ffirst Security is), but across the blvd. in the acreage behind and to the left of Suds Car Wash.

I've heard rumor that the want to buy out Blvd. Wine for an entrance.

Thanks.

Does anyone know what is planned for the NE corner of the Crystal Hill/I-430 intersection?

I've noticed there is a lot of dirt being moved on the land at the NE corner of the Crystall Hill Road/I-430 intersection, and a new stop light went in a few months back at the intersection of North Shore Drive and Crystal Hill Road, on the east side of this property.

The land you're seeing being moved is for a New Life church.

Edited by gmariam

We're actually looking for our first house in the Maumelle area right now, and 1 question that I have that no one has been able to answer is: With all of the construction that is taking place out there right now, will property values continue to rise, or will the market become saturated and stagnate the property values? I realize this question has a lot of variables, but any insight is appreciated.

Edited by Cru Jones

I don't know if the maumelle market could become saturated considering we only have so much land to build on. It could top off in coming years unless we annex more land.

I think, at the moment, the market is a bit saturated with new homes since the rates went up. (people more hesitant to buy) Builders are being stuck with inventory. I know of new homes that have been on the market six months. Housing starts have slowed, and once builders sell their current homes it will level off.

I would say right now it's a bit more of a buyers market in Maumelle. But, that's just my opinion.

There was an article yesterday saying that the plans for the new Kroger got city approval.

It will be 83,000 sq. ft. (compared to the 32,000 sq ft. Kroger we have now) and will be located on 11.5 of the 39 acres. (it's to be located at the corner of Odom S. and Club Manor)

Edited by gmariam

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know the exact location of the land donated for the new high school? None of the news reports had the same location and some were nonsense.

From the map in the Democrat-Gazette, it looks like the land is near the old I-40 rest stop. Long-term plans include developing the rest stop into an full-access interchange on I-40. Some money has already been pledged for this project, but I understand the city, state & feds are a long way from having this project paid for.

I'm not sure how this property would be accessed currently. Plans are to extend either Country Club Parkway or Counts Massie Road out to the interstate. However, neither goes that far now.

Edited by cozmosis

From the map in the Democrat-Gazette, it looks like the land is near the old I-40 rest stop. Long-term plans include developing the rest stop into an full-access interchange on I-40. Some money has already been pledged for this project, but I understand the city, state & feds are a long way from having this project paid for.

I'm not sure how this property would be accessed currently. Plans are to extend either Country Club Parkway or Counts Massie Road out to the interstate. However, neither goes that far now.

Is that in Maumelle or Morgan?

Is that in Maumelle or Morgan?

Almost all of the undeveloped land south of I-40 is part of incorporated Maumelle. However, if I'm looking at the map correctly and this land is located near the closed rest stop on I-40, most people would probably say the land is located in Marche. For those of us who haven't lived in the area forever, the lines between Morgan, Oak Grove & Marche are blurry at best. But the only way I know to access land near the rest stop is by Short Marche Road.

• 2 months later...

And if it wasn't known, we are getting a Taco Bueno and an Arby's.

Both of which will be shopping for fill dirt as their lots are both in holes. :-D Actually, the last time I was on Savannah Drive, I noticed the start of some dirt work already on the Arby's site.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a ton of hillside excavation going on just south of Wild River Country. Any idea what's going in there?

The construction just south of Wild River Country is a new church...I cannot recall the name, but there's a large billboard at the I-430 North-Crystal Hill exit.