Maumelle

Harvest Foods is closing this Saturday. They are clearing their shelves.

I have been told Wal-Mart has purchased it.

Also word has it that Walgreens is looking at the (soon to be) old Kroger site.

Wow. That is fast. It was just a matter of time before that store was going to fold. I did enjoy their selection and prices of beer.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm watching Channel 7 news and they have a story on the growth of Maumelle. Both anchors made comments like, "Maumelle, at one time, a Little Rock suburb." and "Once a Little Rock suburb, now a bustling city." LOL Ok, I know it's growing and it is becoming more of a city. But, c'mon...it's still a suburb of LR. Their comments to me were just comical.

Taco Bueno is now officially open for business on Savannah Drive next to Zaxby's. I can't imagine that Arby's will be far behind.

When I started working in Maumelle five years ago, I think there were only four restaurants within the city limits (Wendy's, Sonic, Lucky's & Lolita's). Through annexation and new development, your tongue now has a choice in Maumelle.

So, I'm watching Channel 7 news and they have a story on the growth of Maumelle. Both anchors made comments like, "Maumelle, at one time, a Little Rock suburb." and "Once a Little Rock suburb, now a bustling city." LOL Ok, I know it's growing and it is becoming more of a city. But, c'mon...it's still a suburb of LR. Their comments to me were just comical.

Yeah, it's still as suburban as can be. It is just now transitioning from semi-rural to a more traditional suburb. It is becoming a more clearly defined community as it gets more restaurants, stores and its own schools.

Yeah, it's still as suburban as can be. It is just now transitioning from semi-rural to a more traditional suburb. It is becoming a more clearly defined community as it gets more restaurants, stores and its own schools.

All true. But it exists, fundamentally, as a bedroom community to Little Rock - a very poorly planned "new town" at that. Its too bad that it wasn't planned about 15-20 years later to incorporate a more sensitive and reasonable (i.e. "dense") mixed use approach that so many newer planned developments are incorporating.

All true. But it exists, fundamentally, as a bedroom community to Little Rock - a very poorly planned "new town" at that. Its too bad that it wasn't planned about 15-20 years later to incorporate a more sensitive and reasonable (i.e. "dense") mixed use approach that so many newer planned developments are incorporating.

Actually, according to former long-time City Clerk Beverly Masters, the original plan included for a much denser population. As I understand it, the city was originally designed to have "pods" of 10,000 or so residents using a variety of building construction -- including high rises. The west side of Maumelle Blvd. was to be for residential development and the east side, as I understand it, reserved for commercial and industrial property. That's certainly not the mixed-use you are describing, but it is much different than how Maumelle developed. I'm not sure when they first deviated from that plan.

Speaking of mixed use, that would have been my dream for the 40 acres where Kroger is building their new store. I'm not sure how that property will develop out... But I think it was the perfect spot for a real attempt at a mixed-use "downtown" for Maumelle.

Edited by cozmosis

For some reason it does not surprise me that KATV made ignorant remarks such as that. Little Rock/North Little Rock is the economic and social hub of the metro area and all surrounding communities are suburbs. I guarantee you that atleast 3/4 of Maumelle residents work in Little Rock/North Little Rock.

For some reason it does not surprise me that KATV made ignorant remarks such as that. Little Rock/North Little Rock is the economic and social hub of the metro area and all surrounding communities are suburbs. I guarantee you that atleast 3/4 of Maumelle residents work in Little Rock/North Little Rock.

I'd bet it is higher than 75 percent. The few people I know who live in Maumelle, hold their city in very high regard. When the charter school in Maumelle went broke and was going to be closed. Someone involved with the school was soliciting donations via UALR's distribution list. I thought that was sorta funny.

I think Maumelle was supposed to be a big deal back in the 80s, but never caught on when it was supposed to. Someone told me it was one of the first planned suburban communities in Central Arkansas.

Maumelle is ok, but the main problem I have with it is that as you drive to the residential portion of the town you have to pass through the industrial area. All those metal buildings cheapen the feel. They should have made those type of businesses locate off the main frontage area of Maumelle Blvd. It would have given the whole community a more upscale feel. Everything just seems hodgepodge with no sense of planning. Also, traffic is really bad because there is really only one way in and one way out. I agree it was poorly planned. There are some nice houses in Maumelle but I think they should enforce more building restrictions on the quality of commercial development.

Maumelle is ok, but the main problem I have with it is that as you drive to the residential portion of the town you have to pass through the industrial area. All those metal buildings cheapen the feel. They should have made those type of businesses locate off the main frontage area of Maumelle Blvd. It would have given the whole community a more upscale feel. Everything just seems hodgepodge with no sense of planning. Also, traffic is really bad because there is really only one way in and one way out. I agree it was poorly planned. There are some nice houses in Maumelle but I think they should enforce more building restrictions on the quality of commercial development.

Yes, I wholeheartedly concur with the "trashy" development along Maumelle Boulevard. Its completely unacceptable, and if you think it looks bad now, give those cheap metal and dryvit structures about 15 years....wow....can you say Asher Boulevard? What poor foresight

The majority of those metal buildings you are talking about are in North Little Rock, so Maumelle cannot control what is being developed on Maumelle Blvd until you are past the new Wal Mart that is being built and Maumelle had some say into that so it wouldn't be the typical gray and blue box. Sure there is a problem with traffic because there is one way in and one way out with the growing population of Maumelle. This problem is recognized and there is a plan in place to have access to I-40 near the old rest stop. The traffic in Maumelle is no worse than the terrible traffic in west Little Rock. Try going down Shackleford, Markham, Financial/Chenal Parkway or Hwy 10 almost any time of day and the traffic is awful.

To echo what "theman" said, you're talking about North Little Rock. Nothing you've said, other than the traffic problem, applies once you are in Maumelle proper.

To echo what "theman" said, you're talking about North Little Rock. Nothing you've said, other than the traffic problem, applies once you are in Maumelle proper.

So is that new Wal-Mart Supercenter being built on Maumelle Blvd. on the North Little Rock side or the Maumelle side? Just curious.

I understand what you are saying about the first part of Maumelle Blvd being NLR, but to me when I get off 430 and get on Maumelle Blvd it is Maumelle. I agree Maumell proper is nicer, but it is a shame that NLR and Maumelle could not have worked together to make that whole area blend together better.

So is that new Wal-Mart Supercenter being built on Maumelle Blvd. on the North Little Rock side or the Maumelle side? Just curious.

The new Wal-Mart is in North Little Rock.

As a general guide, if you're driving in the northbound lanes of Maumelle Blvd., you don't enter Maumelle city limits until you're almost to Riverland Drive (past Wal-Mart and the wooded commerical lots their offering to sell directly behind it). If you are driving in the southbound lanes, Maumelle continues until you get to the intersection of Crystal Hill Road (with First Security Bank).

I understand what you are saying about the first part of Maumelle Blvd being NLR, but to me when I get off 430 and get on Maumelle Blvd it is Maumelle. I agree Maumell proper is nicer, but it is a shame that NLR and Maumelle could not have worked together to make that whole area blend together better.

I agree. The lack of teamwork is probably because of a couple of reasons.

First, there has been a light rivalry at times in past years over a couple of land issues. I know Maumelle was quite proud when they annexed land out to the old I-40 rest stop because it kept future annexation by NLR from blocking Maumelle's access to the interstate. But also, NLR hasn't exactly paid a whole lot of attention to the western portion of their city that borders Maumelle because it was mostly industrial. They had no reason to make Maumelle Blvd. look nice. Now that we're seeing multi-family development and sales tax generators (i.e. Wal-Mart) in that part of NLR, City Hall tends to look west a bit more.

In the last year or so, it seems that there is more cooperation between NLR & Maumelle. I hope we'll continue to see that cooperation in an effort to build the third entrance out to I-40.

I agree. The lack of teamwork is probably because of a couple of reasons.

First, there has been a light rivalry at times in past years over a couple of land issues. I know Maumelle was quite proud when they annexed land out to the old I-40 rest stop because it kept future annexation by NLR from blocking Maumelle's access to the interstate. But also, NLR hasn't exactly paid a whole lot of attention to the western portion of their city that borders Maumelle because it was mostly industrial. They had no reason to make Maumelle Blvd. look nice. Now that we're seeing multi-family development and sales tax generators (i.e. Wal-Mart) in that part of NLR, City Hall tends to look west a bit more.

In the last year or so, it seems that there is more cooperation between NLR & Maumelle. I hope we'll continue to see that cooperation in an effort to build the third entrance out to I-40.

Agreed. NLR has recognized that the western part of the city is one of the few places where residential growth can occur. The other being the eastern portion of NLR near Scott. And as cozmosis said, NLR has recognized that they can get tax revenue from residents in Maumelle from the retail that is on Maumelle Blvd. The two cities worked together on the design of the Wal Mart. Hopefully the two will continue to work together.

Agreed. NLR has recognized that the western part of the city is one of the few places where residential growth can occur. The other being the eastern portion of NLR near Scott. And as cozmosis said, NLR has recognized that they can get tax revenue from residents in Maumelle from the retail that is on Maumelle Blvd. The two cities worked together on the design of the Wal Mart. Hopefully the two will continue to work together.

The real credit for Wal-Mart goes to an organization known as the Maumelle Citizens Association. If left up to North Little Rock, I'm sure the new Wal-Mart would look no better than the store on McCain. The MCA was very proactive in contacting both Wal-Mart and Kroger and influencing the design of both new stores. Fortunately, both companies listened.

• 5 weeks later...

Kroger will be breaking ground for the new store next Mon. on Oct. 1st.

The ceremony will be at 10:30 a.m. The public is invited to attend.

In grocery-related news, there was nothing new happening in the Harvest Foods building last time I checked. Harvest has moved all of their fixtures out, but no other demolition work has begun. Word on the street is that this is the first time that the city has ever issued a permit for demolition.

Edited by cozmosis

The ceremony will be at 10:30 a.m. The public is invited to attend.

In grocery-related news, there was nothing new happening in the Harvest Foods building last time I checked. Harvest has moved all of their fixtures out, but no other demolition work has begun. Word on the street is that this is the first time that the city has ever issued a permit for demolition.

That's really weird when you think about it...give it 10 years or so.

• 1 month later...

The real credit for Wal-Mart goes to an organization known as the Maumelle Citizens Association. If left up to North Little Rock, I'm sure the new Wal-Mart would look no better than the store on McCain. The MCA was very proactive in contacting both Wal-Mart and Kroger and influencing the design of both new stores. Fortunately, both companies listened.

Does anyone know how the new Wal-Mart is coming along? Isn't it supposed to be open around the new year?

Also, I have heard there is a UPS Store going in the new shopping center next to Taco Bueno.

Does anyone know how the new Wal-Mart is coming along? Isn't it supposed to be open around the new year?

As I understand it, the current target for Wal-Mart is February.

Also, I have heard there is a UPS Store going in the new shopping center next to Taco Bueno.

I do know there are plans for a Japanese restaurant in that same complex.

Edited by cozmosis

• 4 weeks later...