Maumelle

Looks like the second bridge over the railroad tracks on the northside of town near Morgan is almost complete. They laid the pavement yesterday. Doesn't look like it will be to much longer untile it is back to four lanes.

Does anyone know when the completion of that project was supposed to be? I have heard it was originally scheduled to be done at the end of the summer 2006.

Does anyone know when the completion of that project was supposed to be? I have heard it was originally scheduled to be done at the end of the summer 2006.

I don't know the original projected completion date, but I doubt it was Summer 2006. That would have been highly ambitious considering they didn't start work until third quarter of 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the new Wal-Mart is coming along? Isn't it supposed to be open around the new year?

The hiring center for the Maumelle Boulevard Wal-Mart Supercenter will open on January 2, so it shouldn't be too long after that date until the store opens. No idea on when the hiring process kicks in for the Neighborhood Market inside the city, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hiring conducted at the Supercenter, once it's operational.

Speaking of grocery developments, what was the latest estimate on the new Kroger that will be in between the Wal-Mart properties?

The hiring center for the Maumelle Boulevard Wal-Mart Supercenter will open on January 2, so it shouldn't be too long after that date until the store opens. No idea on when the hiring process kicks in for the Neighborhood Market inside the city, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hiring conducted at the Supercenter, once it's operational.

Speaking of grocery developments, what was the latest estimate on the new Kroger that will be in between the Wal-Mart properties?

There are a large number of dirt moving vehicles at the Kroger site so I'm guessing construction will not be to far.

Count me as one who just really hope Kroger decides to back out of this one. I just don't see them competing with WM and we'll have a HUGE empty building there in no time.

Virtually NOBODY can compete with Wal-Mart. I will shop the traditional grocer though even if it is more expensive because I don't like to support Wal-Mart. When I lived in OKC, they saturated the area with Supercenters and now a traditional grocer is hard to come by unless it is a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. So far its not that way yet in Central Arkansas, because it appears Wal-Mart hasn't been that aggressive thus far. If they do the Little Rock market like they have Tulsa, OKC, and Ft. Smith, expect to see most of the existing Krogers and Harvest Foods shutter.

Edited by bchris02

Virtually NOBODY can compete with Wal-Mart. I will shop the traditional grocer though even if it is more expensive because I don't like to support Wal-Mart. When I lived in OKC, they saturated the area with Supercenters and now a traditional grocer is hard to come by unless it is a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. So far its not that way yet in Central Arkansas, because it appears Wal-Mart hasn't been that aggressive thus far. If they do the Little Rock market like they have Tulsa, OKC, and Ft. Smith, expect to see most of the existing Krogers and Harvest Foods shutter.

While I totally agree that Wal-Mart's are a cultural void space, I fail to understand people's anti-Wal-mart stance when it comes to their competive practices. If Kroger or Harvest Foods could muster the leverage and reach of Wal-Mart, do you REALLY think they'd be any less aggressive and underhanded in pricing, hiring, and all the other things you despise Wal-Mart for? I certainly don't have such a rosy impression of corporate leaders to think that!

Like it or not, that's the free-market system at work. I'm not a fan of their impact on communities and in particular, city planning issues. On the other hand, its hard to argue against lower prices...that's been a huge benefit to lots of Americans. Certainly Kroger, etc. could have taken the same business approach. But once and/or when they become too dominant, that can become an equally concerning issue. It does seem, at least on the surface, that they're becoming a little more senstive and responsive to environmental and planning issues. Here's to hoping that continues.

Like it or not, that's the free-market system at work. I'm not a fan of their impact on communities and in particular, city planning issues. On the other hand, its hard to argue against lower prices...that's been a huge benefit to lots of Americans. Certainly Kroger, etc. could have taken the same business approach. But once and/or when they become too dominant, that can become an equally concerning issue. It does seem, at least on the surface, that they're becoming a little more senstive and responsive to environmental and planning issues. Here's to hoping that continues.

Environmental and planning concerns are flavor of the day and everyone, including Wal-Mart are trying to appear responsive. Wal-Mart has a much more vast uphill perception battle than the others and they may never conquer it. From my brief and very unrewarding experience as an engineer in the WM system (not working for WM proper), they have spent a LOT of money on energy efficiency with lighting, HVAC units, and power demand mitigation. I'd wager that they are indeed the most environmentally conscious of all the major retailers in this regard and have done the most to trim down their carbon footprint. Time will tell if this movement can become engrained in the corporate social conscience. Being a cynic, I doubt it but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I will certainly be shopping at Kroger. I appreciate them committing to an 80,000 sqft store IN the community in which I live.

Get you a Kroger card and do your grocery shopping at Kroger and avoid those ridiculously long lines that Wal-Mart stores tend to have. I'm usually a penny pincher myself, but sometimes I'm willing to pay an extra 20 cents for a gallon of milk just to avoid those long lines at the checkouts at Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart's Neighborhood Market.

Virtually NOBODY can compete with Wal-Mart.

Kroger seems as well-equipped to take on Wal-Mart as anyone, since no one else has a market share as comparable. Still, Wal-Mart overall sells four times the merchandise that Kroger does, whenever looking beyond the grocery elements. (http://www.retailwire.com/Discussions/Sngl_Discussion.cfm/12481?)

Edited by ArkansasTraveler

From what I recall reading in the Maumelle newspaper the Kroger development is their response to Wal-Mart. This Kroger store is going to be the largest one in the state I believe there are only a few currently in operation or being built that compare nationwide. They will have more dry goods and other products that people are not accustomed to seeing at a Kroger. Maybe someone with more information can elaborate because I cannot find any links about it in the Maumelle Monitor.

Edited by ndark

From what I recall reading in the Maumelle newspaper the Kroger development is their response to Wal-Mart. This Kroger store is going to be the largest one in the state I believe there are only a few currently in operation or being built that compare nationwide. They will have more dry goods and other products that people are not accustomed to seeing at a Kroger. Maybe someone with more information can elaborate because I cannot find any links about it in the Maumelle Monitor.

From what I recall they were just talking an expansion of the current store until Wal-Mart began looking in the area.

From what I remember reading, this is not only going to be the largest Kroger in Arkansas, it is going to be the largest in the Memphis region.

In today's River Valley and Ozark section of the Democrat Gazette, Mayor Watson of Maumelle said that the Kroger store is supposed to be completed in August or September.

From what I remember reading, this is not only going to be the largest Kroger in Arkansas, it is going to be the largest in the Memphis region.

In today's River Valley and Ozark section of the Democrat Gazette, Mayor Watson of Maumelle said that the Kroger store is supposed to be completed in August or September.

Considering that site prep is only just starting, does anyone else think this opening date is a bit out of bed with reality?

I was told the store was supposed to open December 2008... and although I have no special sources, that's been the word on the street for some time. The special sections of the newspaper (i.e. River Valley) aren't exactly breaking news and the stories are sometimes prepared in advance. I'm guessing that might be the case here as I'm sure Kroger wanted to be further along than they are now.

I was told the store was supposed to open December 2008... and although I have no special sources, that's been the word on the street for some time. The special sections of the newspaper (i.e. River Valley) aren't exactly breaking news and the stories are sometimes prepared in advance. I'm guessing that might be the case here as I'm sure Kroger wanted to be further along than they are now.

No matter when it is finished, it will be a welcomed addition to the shopping in Maumelle. The current Kroger is entirely too small. I hope Kroger has enjoyed the shopping monopoly that they have had for a while, because its going to end when the supercenter opens. Many people are going to go there until the new Kroger opens.

No matter when it is finished, it will be a welcomed addition to the shopping in Maumelle. The current Kroger is entirely too small. I hope Kroger has enjoyed the shopping monopoly that they have had for a while, because its going to end when the supercenter opens. Many people are going to go there until the new Kroger opens.

I went to the Kroger on a weekend afternoon for the first time in a very long time yesterday. I usually try to go on off hours. I forgot how bad that store is. The isles are not even big enough for two shopping carts and the place is run down when you consider the clientele and demographics of Maumelle. I would rather shop at Kroger for groceries but until the new one opens I know I will be going to WalMart.

So, looking back on the comments regarding the expected merchandise at the planned Kroger, is this expected to be branded as a Kroger Marketplace? That's essentially one of Kroger's versions of a supercenter, or hypermart, depending on which term you prefer. The other versions are extensions of the Fred Meyer concept (Alaska, Washington and Oregon), which has also been used as Fry's Marketplace (Arizona), Ralph's Marketplace (California), and Smith's Marketplace (Utah). The Marketplace format under the Kroger brand is currently in Ohio, Kentucky and Illinois. If Arkansas is getting a Kroger Marketplace, I'd expect one to pop up somewhere in Tennessee, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Supercenter to open on March 7th. Neighborhood Market to open in early April.

Also, a new building is being put up next to Taco Bueno but I am not sure what it is and the area behind Cheers is totally cleared. I have been told it is gonna be an open air shopping center but obviously on a smaller scale than those in LR.

Supercenter to open on March 7th. Neighborhood Market to open in early April.

Also, a new building is being put up next to Taco Bueno but I am not sure what it is and the area behind Cheers is totally cleared. I have been told it is gonna be an open air shopping center but obviously on a smaller scale than those in LR.

The area behind Cheers will be a residential development. There was much debate when the zoning was changed on that piece of land to residential because there is not an abundance of commercial property remaining in the city center. However, whether or not there is high demand for the remaining commercial property is debated by many.

The building behind Taco Bueno is supposed to be an office building of sorts. What types of offices I do not know.

The area behind Cheers will be a residential development. There was much debate when the zoning was changed on that piece of land to residential because there is not an abundance of commercial property remaining in the city center. However, whether or not there is high demand for the remaining commercial property is debated by many.

The building behind Taco Bueno is supposed to be an office building of sorts. What types of offices I do not know.

Good. I am glad it is not going to be another shopping center. The WalMart and Kroger locations are supposed to have strip malls in them and I am afraid when those finally get built it will leave alot of empty storefronts. What kind of residential is it going to be? More apartments?

The walls of the new Kroger are going up and people are working there seven days a week as long as there is sunlight. I saw them working all day Saturday and Sunday.