Maumelle

Arkansas Business reports that a Wal*Mart and Home Depot will be built on Maumelle Boulevard but the property is located in North Little Rock. It will be south of a soon to be developed golf course apartment community by Jim Lindesy. This will contain between 550 and 700 apartment units.

Maumelle needs a few more crappily constructed apartments like I need a hole in my head. That's goign to be the downfall of that community. Nice upscale housing amidst that many apts is a recipe for big problems in a decade or two, this is exactly what happened to my neighborhood in Dallas.

Atleast there are more upscale apartments going up out there to offset those awful lindsey apts.

True, there are some nice ones in Maumelle. Still, all apts will end up ghetto eventually. I can't believe some of the stuff out on Chenal was built out there with so little resistance.

True, there are some nice ones in Maumelle. Still, all apts will end up ghetto eventually. I can't believe some of the stuff out on Chenal was built out there with so little resistance.

All apartments don't end up ghetto. If the owner takes care of them and remodels them every 5-10 years, they'd be good as new. But, most do not do that.

All apartments don't end up ghetto. If the owner takes care of them and remodels them every 5-10 years, they'd be good as new. But, most do not do that.

Local management and ownership is the key (Lindsay aside). The problem is large national companies own and/or manage most of these complexes and even if the appearance of the apartments is nice and they are remodeled once management (which is often careless and mostly concerned only about occupancy) allows unsavory people into the apartments and crime problems arise they will never be decent again. In Dallas you'll see apartments that look nice and have been remodeled in the last decade where they don't even bother putting the "For Rent" signs in English anymore.

Geography plays a big role. For some reason (well, there are a couple of good reasons) in Little Rock the Riverdale area has maintained a very high desirability and the apartments there, even some that aren't remodeled do very well in maintaining a safe, low-crime atmosphere. Meanwhile, the apartments on Reservoir Rd in West LR that were built at the same time have really declined and this is a notably crime-plagued area despite that fact nearby single family housing is really quite nice and desirable. Maumelle's already having trouble with some apartment complexes and I think it will worsen.

• 3 months later...

Special census figures have Maumelle increasing in population by 50% between 2000 and 2005 to a population of 15,153. There is a lot of commercial development going on in Maumelle and especially in the adjacent part of NLR along Maumelle Blvd, including a large Wal-Mart based shopping center.

Special census figures have Maumelle increasing in population by 50% between 2000 and 2005 to a population of 15,153. There is a lot of commercial development going on in Maumelle and especially in the adjacent part of NLR along Maumelle Blvd, including a large Wal-Mart based shopping center.

At the risk of sounding pretentious, the appeal of Maumelle to so many people is beyond my comprehension.

1 - For a "planned" community, the end result differs in no discernable way from the typical uncontrolled, low-density sprawl. There's plenty of that IN Little Rock or NLR, so why would I drive 20 minutes further out for the same crap?

2 - To have to drive through the "development" along Maumelle Boulevard on the way into town would be a deterent for me. It is downright embarrassing. I've never seen such a compliation of bad warehouse and prefabricated boxes developed along a "boulevard" (as it WERE) in my entire life. Do people not notice this stuff? Have we lost our collective sense of acceptable standards in the public realm? It's a boulevard for Pete's sake...into a "planned" community!

3 - Why would one choose to live here short of a phobia about intermingling with people who might be different than themselves (I don't think the schools or real estate values are a driver as these differ little from that of LR/NLR)?

Okay - my comments do seem critical. It's late. I'm at work. And I'm not happy. So sue me.

At the risk of sounding pretentious, the appeal of Maumelle to so many people is beyond my comprehension.

1 - For a "planned" community, the end result differs in no discernable way from the typical uncontrolled, low-density sprawl. There's plenty of that IN Little Rock or NLR, so why would I drive 20 minutes further out for the same crap?

2 - To have to drive through the "development" along Maumelle Boulevard on the way into town would be a deterent for me. It is downright embarrassing. I've never seen such a compliation of bad warehouse and prefabricated boxes developed along a "boulevard" (as it WERE) in my entire life. Do people not notice this stuff? Have we lost our collective sense of acceptable standards in the public realm? It's a boulevard for Pete's sake...into a "planned" community!

3 - Why would one choose to live here short of a phobia about intermingling with people who might be different than themselves (I don't think the schools or real estate values are a driver as these differ little from that of LR/NLR)?

Okay - my comments do seem critical. It's late. I'm at work. And I'm not happy. So sue me.

I don't like it, I'm going to be looking for a home soon and that's the last place I'd opt for but I understand why some people like it:

1) Highest per capita income of any city in Arkansas

2) Close proximity to West LR and NLR and much shorter commutes compared to communities like Bryant and Cabot

3) Two decent country clubs with golf courses that are reasonably priced

4) Much lower crime than LR/NLR

5) A nice variety of newly constructed homes that are reasonably priced

Of course, I'd rather send my kid to NLR or LR public schools than Oak Grove and that's a big negative. Of all the suburbs outside of NLR/LR, though, that would be my favorite choice.

I don't like it, I'm going to be looking for a home soon and that's the last place I'd opt for but I understand why some people like it:

1) Highest per capita income of any city in Arkansas

2) Close proximity to West LR and NLR and much shorter commutes compared to communities like Bryant and Cabot

3) Two decent country clubs with golf courses that are reasonably priced

4) Much lower crime than LR/NLR

5) A nice variety of newly constructed homes that are reasonably priced

Of course, I'd rather send my kid to NLR or LR public schools than Oak Grove and that's a big negative. Of all the suburbs outside of NLR/LR, though, that would be my favorite choice.

1 - Hard to argue that point.

2 - It is a much better option than Bryant or Cabot (closer, etc.)

3 - True.

4 - Statistically yes, but I would argue that most people have never been victims of crime and that it is perception more than reality. I'm not trying to be insensitive to people who have - especially violent crime - but I can guarantee you that 99% of the people living in Maumelle had no real reason to move because of any personal experience of crime - only perception. I would argue that the neighborhoods in LR that people would cross-shop have equivalent crime rates to Maumelle.

5 - I guess that's a matter of opinion, but it is no better or worse than any other suburban develoment in this market.

And yes, in spite of my criticism, I would agree that of the choices for suburbs, Maumelle would be the best.

I find Maumelle creepy. A lot of people in my office, older than I, think the opposite, that it is a very nice community. But the way it was designed, and with the extra wide boulevard/ROW, especially near the center of town with some of the older 80's-looking architecture, it just creeps me out. And I've driven through there plenty of times, but still... I guess if you're older and have a family, then it becomes much more appealing.

Edited by itk

I find Maumelle creepy. A lot of people in my office, older than I, think the opposite, that it is a very nice community. But the way it was designed, and with the extra wide boulevard/ROW, especially near the center of town with some of the older 80's-looking architecture, it just creeps me out. And I've driven through there plenty of times, but still... I guess if you're older and have a family, then it becomes much more appealing.

If Maumelle was allowed to create its own schools, particularly a high school, I think it would thrive even more. As it is, I think people "leaving for the 'burbs" and opting for Oak Grove and Pulaski County schools over the LRSD and options like Central, Hall, Mills, and Parkview are nuts.

I prefer growth in the county over growth outside the county. I would rather live in LR by far but I don't get as frustrated by people that opt for Maumelle as people that opt for Cabot or Conway when they work in LR, though I think Conway is a fine town.

Edited by Aporkalypse

• 3 weeks later...

Maumelle is getting a Starbucks next to Bank of the Ozarks.

There is also suposed to be a huge new Kroger coming to town. Something like 80,000 sq. ft. And one of only 2 or 3 others like it in the U.S. (with the sale of soft goods). However, it's hitting somewhat of a road block because the citzens action group wants there to be an overlay district for what's intended to be the town center. So the acreage won't have a mish mashed stripmall feel.

Maumelle is getting a Starbucks next to Bank of the Ozarks.

There is also suposed to be a huge new Kroger coming to town. Something like 80,000 sq. ft. And one of only 2 or 3 others like it in the U.S. (with the sale of soft goods). However, it's hitting somewhat of a road block because the citzens action group wants there to be an overlay district for what's intended to be the town center. So the acreage won't have a mish mashed stripmall feel.

I wonder what would become of the old Kroger.

About 6 months ago there was a company (don't remember the name) that was looking to buy the police station/fire station when they were thinking of relocating. Since the stations are located on the corner of, arguably, the busiest intersection in Maumelle, it's prime real estate.

Maybe that company would now go after the Kroger property on the opposite side of the intersection.

They are clearing land for a retail center on Maumelle Blvd. just after McDonald's and before the proposed Wal Mart/Home Depot Development. A sign says that it is going to be a 100,000 sq ft retail center and the only tenent that is advertised is a Chinese restaurant.

That would be my first guess, but they're building that right up the road as we speak. Is Maumelle ready for a Target? They already have the state's distribution center there.

Isn't Benton Building a Target at that Shopping center with Kohls, Starbucks, and Chilis?

I've heard that Little Rock is looking into a second Target, plus North Little Rock's Targert, which all together would make 4 Targets in the Little Rock Metro. Then, this would make 5 Targets all together

Isn't Benton Building a Target at that Shopping center with Kohls, Starbucks, and Chilis?

I've heard that Little Rock is looking into a second Target, plus North Little Rock's Targert, which all together would make 4 Targets in the Little Rock Metro. Then, this would make 5 Targets all together

Don't forget the one right up I-40 in Conway.

Ah right, so that would make 6.

It's going to be slow to happen. Target really wants a location in midtown Little Rock and even tried to get the city to sell them part of War Memorial Park, which didn't go over well. The current University Mall and Sears sites are being lusted over by Target. There is no Target or Wal-Mart for miles from downtown and midtown LR and that's one of Target's favorite niches. The Hwy 10 corridor is a great location but that would mean going in somewhere adjacent to the Wal-Mart there and taking on residents who are getting increasingly fed up with the effect development has had on the scenery and traffic out that way. Maumelle won't get a Target anytime soon, that was just a joke. However if it keeps growing the way it did the last 5 years it will be big enough before long.

It's going to be slow to happen. Target really wants a location in midtown Little Rock and even tried to get the city to sell them part of War Memorial Park, which didn't go over well. The current University Mall and Sears sites are being lusted over by Target. There is no Target or Wal-Mart for miles from downtown and midtown LR and that's one of Target's favorite niches. The Hwy 10 corridor is a great location but that would mean going in somewhere adjacent to the Wal-Mart there and taking on residents who are getting increasingly fed up with the effect development has had on the scenery and traffic out that way. Maumelle won't get a Target anytime soon, that was just a joke. However if it keeps growing the way it did the last 5 years it will be big enough before long.

Target in mid town would be so sweet. Wal-Mart's persistence with suburban development goes well beyond logic, and falls squarely into the category of urban and environmental negligence. Hey...I shouldn't rant too much here as I just realized that Target's current west LR store is smack dab between two Wal-Mart's!!!!

Target in mid town would be so sweet. Wal-Mart's persistence with suburban development goes well beyond logic, and falls squarely into the category of urban and environmental negligence. Hey...I shouldn't rant too much here as I just realized that Target's current west LR store is smack dab between two Wal-Mart's!!!!

I wish Target would enter the LR grocery market and the new Targets would be brought in as Super Targets. I shop there occasionally in Dallas and they really offer a better variety and more gourmet/unique items than Wal-Mart and they're cheaper than Kroger or Harvest Foods. Even the West LR store could easily be expanded to add a grovery section as it's free-standing.

^

Very possible. Supertargets are Target's main objective in the future in their means of competing against the Supercenter.

A Supertarget would be very profitable in a market like Little Rock's. LR Grocery Market isn't really dominated by one chain, since it does have a presence of Wal-Mart Supercenters, Krogers, Harvest Foods, etc.