Maumelle

The construction just south of Wild River Country is a new church...I cannot recall the name, but there's a large billboard at the I-430 North-Crystal Hill exit.

Interesting. I knew it seemed a bit too far north to be part of the industrial park jcaruth was referring to.

I hate to see another hillside in the I-430 corridor raped.

The construction just south of Wild River Country is a new church...I cannot recall the name, but there's a large billboard at the I-430 North-Crystal Hill exit.

New Life Church (currently located in NLR near Maumelle Blvd. & Counts Massie Rd.) is constructing their new church at the intersection of Crystal Hill & I-430. (www.newlifechurch.tv)

And speaking of land-clearing... they're clearing more acres every day of the new Wal-Mart shopping center in NLR near Maumelle Blvd. & Crystal Hill Rd.

Edited by cozmosis

• 2 months later...

A site selecting committee choose to reccomend that the Board of the Pulaski County School District build the High School replacing Oak Grove, on about 94 acres in Maumelle off of Carnahan Rd. in the industrial park. Near the Middle school.

The decision came down to 3 sites and then finally with an analysis done by an architectural and engineering firm. It was the least expensive choice to build on.

If you all remember the donated land - this isn't it.

A site selecting committee choose to reccomend that the Board of the Pulaski County School District build the High School replacing Oak Grove, on about 94 acres in Maumelle off of Carnahan Rd. in the industrial park. Near the Middle school.

The decision came down to 3 sites and then finally with an analysis done by an architectural and engineering firm. It was the least expensive choice to build on.

This news will most likely add to the growth of Maumelle. Families can now have their kids go to school from elementary through high school without leaving the city.

You're right... This isn't the donated land. And the people who argued against having a Middle School across the street from a cold storage warehouse will certainly be arguing against having a high school in an industrial park, too.

However, the donated land has access issues -- is there even a good road near the property? If I remember correctly, it had strings attached to it, too. Construction had to begin within a certain date or the donation was recended. I know we can't rely on having the third entrance in place if the city can't afford to build two fire stations.

I understand the sad feelings of those in the Oak Grove community. However, having a high school will be a huge boost to the community spirit of Maumelle. Find me one other incorporated city of 15,000 that doesn't have a high school...

Edited by cozmosis

Bella Vista was developed as a retirement community. There are more high school age kids on the moon than in Bella Vista.

Hot Springs Village is the largest retirement community in the country...and they have a large and ever-growing number of high schoolers and younger people in general.

Hot Springs Village is the largest retirement community in the country...and they have a large and ever-growing number of high schoolers and younger people in general.

I didn't say there weren't any (well, the "moon" comments sort of inferred that I suppose! :rolleyes: ) - but certainly, those are not valid comparisons.

I know, that was an unfair comparison. Even though Bella Vista is certainly changing. As it grows it may truely be one of the largest cities without a high school.

Is Bella Vista growing? My in-laws used to live there, but I don't hear much about it at all these days...

Is Bella Vista growing? My in-laws used to live there, but I don't hear much about it at all these days...

I believe so. It is estimated that the population is at 24,000 in 2006, up from 16,000 in 2000. So 50% growth in 6 years is pretty good. Since it was planned as a retirement community it is almost all residential. So it doesnt show up on this site often since there arent many new businesses going in. Plus all of the streets are already in place, so there arent many new neighborhoods going in either.

It will be interesting to see how it develops once the bypass is finished.

Edited by vbfl85

Bella Vista ain't what it used to be. It's growing quickly because like Centerton and Cave Springs on Bentonville's edge housing is much more affordable. Bentonville is grossly overbuilt in 250K + range.

Yeah, but the obvious difference is that in Bella Vista you're driving to a larger city. Driving from Maumelle to Oak Grove to go to school doesn't make any more sense than driving from Little Rock to Ferndale for groceries.

Bella Vista is pretty country, it's no shock that it's growing quickly. If I worked at WM, that's where I'd probably live.

• 1 month later...

According to Ark Business Ruby Tuesday's, Chili's Grill and Bar and Lowe's Home Improvement are looking for sites on Maumelle Blvd, presumably in the NLR portion.

I bet they locate near the new Wal Mart Supercenter that is going up on Maumelle Blvd.

Edited by theman

I bet they locate near the new Wal Mart Supercenter that is going up on Maumelle Blvd.

The Maumelle city limits begin right around the curve from the Supercenter site, perhaps Maumelle will get one or two of those projects. I am still a little bummed that Wal-Mart chose the spot they did. They want the Maumelle shoppers with little benefit (ie sales tax) to the actual community they hope to serve. I will have a hard time shopping there knowing the sales tax dollars will be going to fund city projects in downtown NLR. Kroger will be the first option for me, especially since they have decided to build a larger store.

The Maumelle city limits begin right around the curve from the Supercenter site, perhaps Maumelle will get one or two of those projects. I am still a little bummed that Wal-Mart chose the spot they did. They want the Maumelle shoppers with little benefit (ie sales tax) to the actual community they hope to serve. I will have a hard time shopping there knowing the sales tax dollars will be going to fund city projects in downtown NLR. Kroger will be the first option for me, especially since they have decided to build a larger store.

Unfortunately, all of the commercial property on the Wal-Mart side of Maumelle Blvd. is in North Little Rock.

Considering the current city limits, Maumelle only has a couple of spots where it could see the commercial development that it needs to boost sales tax revenues. There is Tract D (the spot where Kroger plans to build) and the Morgan area south of I-40. I've heard word that a hotel chain has purchased the lot where the old I-40 restaurant used to sit. There is plenty of open land to the east of that area, but I'm not sure of its availability.

The Maumelle city limits extend a lot further toward 430, on the south side of the blvd. River Pointe Apts are in Maumelle, and that is a good distance before you reach the city limit sign of NLR, heading toward Maumelle. Coming from Maumelle, you don't see the NLR city limit sign until you get just past River Pointe Apts. So, maybe some of this development will go in on the southern side of the blvd.

That Kroger has been rumored for a long time. I guess Wal Mart coming into the area finally got them going. A larger Kroger is really needed. I've heard it's suppose to be the largest in the state.

The Maumelle city limits extend a lot further toward 430, on the south side of the blvd. River Pointe Apts are in Maumelle, and that is a good distance before you reach the city limit sign of NLR, heading toward Maumelle. Coming from Maumelle, you don't see the NLR city limit sign until you get just past River Pointe Apts. So, maybe some of this development will go in on the southern side of the blvd.

Actually, River Pointe Apartments are not in Maumelle. The last developed property along the boulevard inside of Maumelle city limits is First Security Bank. There is a slice of land between the bank and the abandoned junk yard that lies within Maumelle city limits, but everything from the junkyard to I-430 along Hwy. 100 belongs to North Little Rock.

The border between the two cities is certainly screwy, though. As you suggested, there are parts of Maumelle Blvd/Hwy. 100 where the northbound lanes are in NLR and the southbound lanes are in Maumelle. I'm not sure who drew the boundaries or what they had been drinking when they did it.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread or not, but plans are floating around for the remodeling of the Harvest Foods at Audubon & Club Manor into a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. I know nothing about Wally World's strategy and tactics, however I do find it interesting that central Arkansas will soon have two locations with SuperCenters and Neighborhood Markets right on top of each other (Sherwood & Maumelle).

Edited by cozmosis

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread or not, but plans are floating around for the remodeling of the Harvest Foods at Audubon & Club Manor into a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. I know nothing about Wally World's strategy and tactics, however I do find it interesting that central Arkansas will soon have two locations with SuperCenters and Neighborhood Markets right on top of each other (Sherwood & Maumelle).

Not to mention West LR, assuming the old WM at Chenal and Bowman is converted to a Neighborhood Market as planned.