Maumelle

Good. I am glad it is not going to be another shopping center. The WalMart and Kroger locations are supposed to have strip malls in them and I am afraid when those finally get built it will leave alot of empty storefronts. What kind of residential is it going to be? More apartments?

I believe (but do not know for sure) that the development will be condos or townhouses instead of a traditional apartment-style development.

I haven't seen the plans for Tract D (the Kroger site), but I worry that it won't be developed to his fullest potential. It's a large tract of land dead center in the middle of a town with no downtown... no town square... not even a Main Street. If ever there was a place where a "town center" style development would have worked, I think it would have been this one. Instead, I fear it will be just another shopping center.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe (but do not know for sure) that the development will be condos or townhouses instead of a traditional apartment-style development.

I haven't seen the plans for Tract D (the Kroger site), but I worry that it won't be developed to his fullest potential. It's a large tract of land dead center in the middle of a town with no downtown... no town square... not even a Main Street. If ever there was a place where a "town center" style development would have worked, I think it would have been this one. Instead, I fear it will be just another shopping center.

They will be townhomes called Villas at Audubon.

http://www.maumellemonitor.com/articles/20...03-planning.txt

• 3 weeks later...

The new Wal-Mart Supercenter opened this morning and the Japenese Steakhouse Sashimi opened a couple weeks ago.

Does anybody know what else is planned for the land that Wal-Mart and Kroger are on? There is going to be plenty of room for more development.

The new Wal-Mart Supercenter opened this morning and the Japenese Steakhouse Sashimi opened a couple weeks ago. Does anybody know what else is planned for the land that Wal-Mart and Kroger are on? There is going to be plenty of room for more development.

When the original plat for the Wal-Mart development was released, it showed a Home Depot store. I've since heard rumors alternating between Home Depot and Lowe's. I haven't heard anything remotely official since.

Edited by cozmosis

Though there already is a Lowe's on East McCain on the other side of North Little Rock (and Home Depot, too, for that matter), a Lowe's seems like a particularly strong possibility given the fact that this could easily serve northwest Little Rock as well. And isn't there some kind of corporate connection between Wal-Mart and Lowe's, anyway? I think someone told me something to that effect once.

If either Lowe's or Home Depot does come, it will be interesting to see the net effect on the various building supply businesses that dot the boulevard between Maumelle city limits and Interstate 430.

On an unrelated note, today I made my first trip to Zaxby's. Walked out more full than I have in some time from a quick service chicken restaurant. It's very nice to have not only another alternative to KFC, Popeye's and Church's, but something a notch above.

The new Wal-Mart Supercenter opened this morning and the Japenese Steakhouse Sashimi opened a couple weeks ago.

Does anybody know what else is planned for the land that Wal-Mart and Kroger are on? There is going to be plenty of room for more development.

Also a couple of restaurants are suppose to locate near the new Wal-Mart. I vaguely remember Ruby Tuesday being mentioned as one of the restaurants and maybe Applebee's.

Also a couple of restaurants are suppose to locate near the new Wal-Mart. I vaguely remember Ruby Tuesday being mentioned as one of the restaurants and maybe Applebee's.

Has anyone been to the new Wal-Mart? I stopped in Sunday night and, well, I was underwhelmed. It's a nice enough store... and I guess I shouldn't have expected much from a Wal-Mart. Yet, after the involvement of the Maumelle Citizens Association, I guess I'd come to expect marble floors and gold chandeliers. :-D I do think the exterior building materials are top notch... I haven't see that much stone on a box store in these parts -- ever.

Has anyone been to the new Wal-Mart? I stopped in Sunday night and, well, I was underwhelmed. It's a nice enough store... and I guess I shouldn't have expected much from a Wal-Mart. Yet, after the involvement of the Maumelle Citizens Association, I guess I'd come to expect marble floors and gold chandeliers. :-D I do think the exterior building materials are top notch... I haven't see that much stone on a box store in these parts -- ever.

Don't fool yourself. That's not stone, its painted cast concrete units made to look like stone that "glue" onto the wall....real progress we've made here in the 21st Century. We've arrived now!!! <_<

I haven't been there, but my wife has been twice. She said that she likes it better than the one on Highway 10. She said that it doesn't feel as crowded with merchandise as the one on Highway 10. I think she likes it better because she doesn't have to go to Little Rock to go to a Wal-Mart anymore.

I haven't been there, but my wife has been twice. She said that she likes it better than the one on Highway 10. She said that it doesn't feel as crowded with merchandise as the one on Highway 10. I think she likes it better because she doesn't have to go to Little Rock to go to a Wal-Mart anymore.

I have been twice and I agree with her. I went on Friday night and the parking lot was packed but once I was inside it didn't feel crowded at all. It has a more open feel than other Wal-Mart stores I have been to in the area. The floor plan seems better and in the main isles there isn't racks of stuff taking up space. I would say I was also expecting a little more because of the interaction with the Maumelle City Council but all in all it is better than any other store in the area right now. My wife was especially excited because we don't have to go to HW 10 anymore and she also loved the fresh made to order sushi counter.

I have been twice and I agree with her. I went on Friday night and the parking lot was packed but once I was inside it didn't feel crowded at all. It has a more open feel than other Wal-Mart stores I have been to in the area. The floor plan seems better and in the main isles there isn't racks of stuff taking up space. I would say I was also expecting a little more because of the interaction with the Maumelle City Council but all in all it is better than any other store in the area right now. My wife was especially excited because we don't have to go to HW 10 anymore and she also loved the fresh made to order sushi counter.

I was personally pretty impressed! I mean, it is a Wal-Mart after all so, for a Wal-Mart, I thought it was very nicely done. Like others I thought it felt much more calm than most any other WM I've been in even though the parking lot had a good number of cars in it.

I was personally pretty impressed! I mean, it is a Wal-Mart after all so, for a Wal-Mart, I thought it was very nicely done. Like others I thought it felt much more calm than most any other WM I've been in even though the parking lot had a good number of cars in it.

I was also impressed. What I meant was that with all of the statements from the city I think my expectations became a little greater than what they should have been.

Does anybody know why there is not a gas station with it or will there be one added? I just assumed there would be one since I never read any differently.

My surprise was less about the lack of a gas station than the lack of a bank inside the building, even if First Security is just across the boulevard. Actually, the lack of self-checkout was also odd, since there are a few of those checkouts at Chenal & Hwy 10.

But two things that were impressive from a retail-design perspective were the use of slanted aisles (see: frozen foods, cosmetics) and numerous skylights. The slanted aisles are borrowed wholesale from the later Revco stores, and should affect foot traffic positively. Skylights probably save a pretty penny on energy. Also, the arrangement of certain parts of the store make more sense — party supplies in front, for those who want to grab and go; magazines shifted back by electronics, where people like to linger anyway. The meat section looks like no other grocery meat section I've seen in recent years, too.

Edited by ArkansasTraveler

My surprise was less about the lack of a gas station than the lack of a bank inside the building, even if First Security is just across the boulevard. Actually, the lack of self-checkout was also odd, since there are a few of those checkouts at Chenal & Hwy 10.

But two things that were impressive from a retail-design perspective were the use of slanted aisles (see: frozen foods, cosmetics) and numerous skylights. The slanted aisles are borrowed wholesale from the later Revco stores, and should affect foot traffic positively. Skylights probably save a pretty penny on energy. Also, the arrangement of certain parts of the store make more sense

I didn't even notice that there wasn't a bank. That is odd.

I wonder if the new Sherwood location will be similar to the Maumelle location.

I am not sure why but to me it looks like Wal-Mart is moving away from self checkout stations. They took out all of the self checkouts in both Conway locations and there are not any in the new NLR store. My best guess would be that they have resulted in more shoplifting.

Probably fairly right on the shoplifting. I for one never used the self checkout. While I can understand the convenience, I'm not one for paying to do the store's work for them. I saw it as an opportinity for them to eliminate jobs and burden the customer, something I really didn't appreciate. Glad to see them go.

Don't fool yourself. That's not stone, its painted cast concrete units made to look like stone that "glue" onto the wall....real progress we've made here in the 21st Century. We've arrived now!!! <_<

My point was not the actual material, but that they went the extra mile when prodded. The East McCain store is proof of what Wal-Mart is willing to get by with if they're allowed to.

Why? Seems like anyone who actually tries to put on a nice face should be applauded...Wal Mart being no different.

This is what is commonly referred to in our office as "Polishing a turd." I suppose there's something to be said for the polishing...which the city forced (not from Wal-Mart's own charitable contribution).

This is what is commonly referred to in our office as "Polishing a turd." I suppose there's something to be said for the polishing...which the city forced (not from Wal-Mart's own charitable contribution).

I would say in this case polishing the old standard Walmart turd was great. That McCain NLR location is terrible. Hopefully the Sherwood location will be closer to the Maumelle store than the NLR one.

I would say in this case polishing the old standard Walmart turd was great. That McCain NLR location is terrible. Hopefully the Sherwood location will be closer to the Maumelle store than the NLR one.

Truthfully, I agree guys. Not trying to be too crass, just the architect in me (hey, someone's got to defend the public realm, right?).

Call it what you want, if it improves the look and feel, I don't see it as anything but positive. Target could use some polishing up as well in most locations.

And yeah, I get that the cities force this.......ummmm, so what. Cities often force all sorts of developments to conform to their desired wish, this is no different other than the usual badmouthing of the big evil, ugly, cheap, giant (turd). Gimme a break.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the city forced anything. The McCain Wal-Mart is proof that North Little Rock isn't interested in higher standards and this Wal-Mart is *not* inside Maumelle, so they have no jurisdiction in the matter. I give credit to the members of the Maumelle Citizens Association who proactively met with folks with Wal-Mart (and Kroger) to try to improve these stores as much as possible.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the city forced anything. The McCain Wal-Mart is proof that North Little Rock isn't interested in higher standards and this Wal-Mart is *not* inside Maumelle, so they have no jurisdiction in the matter. I give credit to the members of the Maumelle Citizens Association who proactively met with folks with Wal-Mart (and Kroger) to try to improve these stores as much as possible.

You are right. The city of Maumelle had no real say, just suggestions. The city wouldn't let Wal-Mart build in Maumelle so they bought the land just on the NLR side of the line. It was citizens and city leaders who sought out Wal-Mart to make suggestions on how the store should look and fortunately a lot of those suggestions were taken. At least this is how I understand it from reading the local newspaper. I don't think Wal-Mart did this out of the goodness of their heart though. They knew that Maumellians(?) would not be happy with a cookie cutter store with big smiley faces everywhere.

Edited by ndark