Maumelle

Wal-Mart didn't like the location that Maumelle was suggesting. I

Really? Where did Maumelle suggest? I heard Wal-Mart wanted to build where Kroger is going but Maumelle does not allow access to Maumelle Blvd from store parking lots and they didnt want them there because of traffic concerns. I never noticed that until I heard this. The only access to Maumelle Blvd is by side roads.

Really? Where did Maumelle suggest? I heard Wal-Mart wanted to build where Kroger is going but Maumelle does not allow access to Maumelle Blvd from store parking lots and they didnt want them there because of traffic concerns. I never noticed that until I heard this. The only access to Maumelle Blvd is by side roads.

I thought it was land along I-40.

Yep, this is what I've been told as well.

On a side note, does anyone know if the new police and fire station at Murphy and Union will replace the current sites or are these additional?

That sounds very reasonable. It would have gotten Wal-Mart in the city limits for tax purposes but they would have been off of the Boulevard and it could have spured growth toward I40 which is what the city is wanting to do (new freeway exit at old rest stop, Middle School, land for proposed High School) but the visibility would have been minimal at least for right now.

I remember reading in the local paper that a developer was already lined up to buy the old station and land when it was agreed upon that they would build new stations near the bridge on the north end. That was awhile ago so who knows now with Wal-Mart now in town and Kroger moving with that land across the intersection also for sale.

The city wouldn't let Wal-Mart build in Maumelle so they bought the land just on the NLR side of the line.

Maumelle wouldn't let Wal-Mart build in the city limits? Says who? To my knowledge, Wal-Mart never made a proposal to construct a store within the city limits. Therefore, the city of Maumelle never had the chance to say yes or no.

In conversations about development, it's real easy to say "Maumelle wouldn't allow this" or "North Little Rock allowed that" when, in truth, it's has very little to do with city government and a great deal to do with developers. When the Wal-Mart deal was being planned, there were only two real sites suitable for a store that were inside the city -- the Tract D property where Kroger is building and land near Exit 142 on I-40. If Wal-Mart couldn't negotiate the terms with those landowners, it's not necessarily the City of Maumelle's fault. I know for a fact Maumelle wants -- no, makes that needs -- the sales tax revenue that Wal-Mart and the surrounding development would have provided.

I heard Wal-Mart wanted to build where Kroger is going but Maumelle does not allow access to Maumelle Blvd from store parking lots and they didnt want them there because of traffic concerns.

It is correct that access to Maumelle Blvd. within the city limits is limited. However, the Kroger development will create another right on/right off access street onto the boulevard between Audubon Drive and South Odom Blvd. so access to the site won't be a problem. When completely, motorists will be able to access it from all four sides -- the boulevard, Odom, Club Manor and Audubon. As far as the City of Maumelle not wanting Wal-Mart because of traffic... Again, I don't know of any time where Maumelle got the chance to approve or deny Wal-Mart either way.

On a side note, does anyone know if the new police and fire station at Murphy and Union will replace the current sites or are these additional?

The police station is a replacement. The fire station is additional.

The Murphy/Union property will see construction of the police station and the fire department headquarters station. The current facility at Millwood Circle will remain open to house the Maumelle District Court and what will become Fire Station #2. When sufficient funds become available in the future, the district court will relocate to the Murphy/Union property and a second fire station will be built on the city's southside. At that time, the city will most likely close the existing building and sell the property.

Maumelle wouldn't let Wal-Mart build in the city limits? Says who? To my knowledge, Wal-Mart never made a proposal to construct a store within the city limits. Therefore, the city of Maumelle never had the chance to say yes or no.

In conversations about development, it's real easy to say "Maumelle wouldn't allow this" or "North Little Rock allowed that" when, in truth, it's has very little to do with city government and a great deal to do with developers. When the Wal-Mart deal was being planned, there were only two real sites suitable for a store that were inside the city -- the Tract D property where Kroger is building and land near Exit 142 on I-40. If Wal-Mart couldn't negotiate the terms with those landowners, it's not necessarily the City of Maumelle's fault. I know for a fact Maumelle wants -- no, makes that needs -- the sales tax revenue that Wal-Mart and the surrounding development would have provided.

It is correct that access to Maumelle Blvd. within the city limits is limited. However, the Kroger development will create another right on/right off access street onto the boulevard between Audubon Drive and South Odom Blvd. so access to the site won't be a problem. When completely, motorists will be able to access it from all four sides -- the boulevard, Odom, Club Manor and Audubon. As far as the City of Maumelle not wanting Wal-Mart because of traffic... Again, I don't know of any time where Maumelle got the chance to approve or deny Wal-Mart either way.

You may very well be correct. I never spoke with anyone working for the city but I did get this information from multiple city business owners who are involved in the planning of these things and go to meetings with city leaders. They have never told me anything before that didnt come to fruition. I cannot recall if Maumelle actually officially denied Wal-Mart but you know as well as I do that just because it wasn't official does not mean it didn't happen. Wal-Mart may have known the answer and decided to move on.

Edited by ndark

The word on the street is that Walgreen's is finally coming to Maumelle. Well, actually, the word has jumped from the street and onto this week's planning commission agenda. They want to place their store at the corner of Maumelle Blvd. and South Odom Blvd. That's the Tract D property where Kroger is currently under construction.

The word on the street is that Walgreen's is finally coming to Maumelle. Well, actually, the word has jumped from the street and onto this week's planning commission agenda. They want to place their store at the corner of Maumelle Blvd. and South Odom Blvd. That's the Tract D property where Kroger is currently under construction.

I've heard several rumors that Walgreens was coming to Maumelle, but I heard that they were going to take over where the current Kroger is. It only makes sense though to locate near the new Kroger. That it going to be the retail hub of Maumelle with Kroger, Walgreens possibly and the WalMart Neighborhood Market.

I've heard several rumors that Walgreens was coming to Maumelle, but I heard that they were going to take over where the current Kroger is. It only makes sense though to locate near the new Kroger. That it going to be the retail hub of Maumelle with Kroger, Walgreens possibly and the WalMart Neighborhood Market.

I had also been hearing the old Kroger location but the tract D spot would be much more likely considering all the new construction. The only reason I had hoped it would go in where the old Kroger is was because I didn't want an abandoned building of that size and visibility but I would assume that land will sell and be developed rather quickly because of its location.

I had also been hearing the old Kroger location but the tract D spot would be much more likely considering all the new construction. The only reason I had hoped it would go in where the old Kroger is was because I didn't want an abandoned building of that size and visibility but I would assume that land will sell and be developed rather quickly because of its location.

Did the city not have plans for the old Kroger location? Offices?

Did the city not have plans for the old Kroger location? Offices?

Not that I'm aware. Room for growth was the reason the city purchased the rest of the building City Hall is in a few years back. With the extra space that purchase afforded them, as well as the new public works building under construction and new police & fire headquarters being planned, I can't fathom a use for such a large building by the city. Additionally, retail growth is much needed in Maumelle proper, so I can't see the city doing something that would block that growth.

• 4 weeks later...

Taken from the Jacksonville School District thread.

Maumelle students already have their own elementary and junior high but will soon enough have their own high school as well and this will no doubt help community identity, as traveling to mediocre Oak Grove schools has long been a negative for the community. A Maumelle with 50,000 residents to me is far superior to a Cabot or Bryant that large as it integrates much better with NLR and LR. It is growing fast but with better schools people living in Conway, Benton or Cabot may not see the reason to drive so far.

As a Maumelle resident I will say that I would be more than willing to send my children to the elementary or middle school here but not Oak Grove and this is coming from a guy who went to NLRHS and who has family still in Oak Grove. I think a lot of people in Maumelle feel that same way and once there is a HS in the city it will pull kids away from CAC, PA, etc. Also, as the talk of the new HS has been heating up I have been getting phone calls and questions from friends in Conway who work downtown that are very interested in moving to Maumelle now. They have always wanted to move closer but the HS was what held them back until now. It will really make Maumelle a more complete community and I think it will definitely spur more growth.

As far as Maumelle becoming its own school district, I really don't know where I stand on that. I want to get the HS built first then we can talk about it. ;)

Has anybody seen the plans for the new HS in Maumelle? I know they submitted them recently and there was a write up about them in the paper.

Taken from the Jacksonville School District thread.

As a Maumelle resident I will say that I would be more than willing to send my children to the elementary or middle school here but not Oak Grove and this is coming from a guy who went to NLRHS and who has family still in Oak Grove. I think a lot of people in Maumelle feel that same way and once there is a HS in the city it will pull kids away from CAC, PA, etc. Also, as the talk of the new HS has been heating up I have been getting phone calls and questions from friends in Conway who work downtown that are very interested in moving to Maumelle now. They have always wanted to move closer but the HS was what held them back until now. It will really make Maumelle a more complete community and I think it will definitely spur more growth.

As far as Maumelle becoming its own school district, I really don't know where I stand on that. I want to get the HS built first then we can talk about it. ;)

Has anybody seen the plans for the new HS in Maumelle? I know they submitted them recently and there was a write up about them in the paper.

I know many people in Maumelle whose sentiments are very similar to yours. The reasons I mentioned Maumelle in regards to the districting issue is that I had read in the paper where that push was made 2-3 years ago, but the PCSSD has to be free of desegregation monitoring first.

I actually think CAC will bear the brunt of this. They tend to draw mostly from Maumelle and NLR right now.

School Board member Pam Roberts will be one of the guests at the Maumelle Citizens Association meeting April 22 at the Maumelle library. As you probably know, she led the charge to relocate the high school to Maumelle proper. She is supposed to talk about the new school and bring some artist renderings of the building and grounds. The meeting starts at 6:30 PM.

School Board member Pam Roberts will be one of the guests at the Maumelle Citizens Association meeting April 22 at the Maumelle library. As you probably know, she led the charge to relocate the high school to Maumelle proper. She is supposed to talk about the new school and bring some artist renderings of the building and grounds. The meeting starts at 6:30 PM.

Thanks for the info.

I actually think CAC will bear the brunt of this. They tend to draw mostly from Maumelle and NLR right now.

I understand that CAC is at record enrollment, in spite of the recent opening of the new Maumelle Jr. High. Also, while a lot of their students come from NLR/Maumelle, it is by no means the majority. A new HS might have some impact initially, but in the long term, I doubt that it will impact CAC in any meaningful way. The constituent base is entirely different.

I understand that CAC is at record enrollment, in spite of the recent opening of the new Maumelle Jr. High. Also, while a lot of their students come from NLR/Maumelle, it is by no means the majority. A new HS might have some impact initially, but in the long term, I doubt that it will impact CAC in any meaningful way. The constituent base is entirely different.

You think so? I'm not so sure.

Pretty much every Pulaski Co public school is at record enrollment, thanks to the LRSD board.

You think so? I'm not so sure.

Pretty much every Pulaski Co public school is at record enrollment, thanks to the LRSD board.

From the last release from the ADE the LRSD is the only growing district in Pulaski county. Cabot and Bryant are the only two districts with a greater increase in Central Arkansas.

From the last release from the ADE the LRSD is the only growing district in Pulaski county. Cabot and Bryant are the only two districts with a greater increase in Central Arkansas.

That was last for last year's enrollment period, before a lot of bad things happened in the LRSD that are expected to affect enrollment. The previous year's enrollment represented the first increase in enrollment in the LRSD in 15 years or so, and this increase was solely due to Hispanics (white and black enrollment was down). Private schools in LR are reporting a significant bump in applications for next year's classes. e-STEM will also affect LRSD enrollment significantly. We should know for sure how much this is really true in August but it's expected the LRSD will see a significant drop.

• 1 month later...

Planning commission rejects upscale Hampton Inn

By Bill Lawson \ Staff Writer \ [email protected]

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:57 PM CDT

An attempt to build an upscale Hampton Inn across the street from the new Wal-Mart Supercenter on Maumelle Boulevard was defeated at the planning commission meeting Thursday despite pleas from city officials that the city needed the tax revenue.

The point of controversy was adding an entrance off Maumelle Boulevard. The hotel chain said it would not build the hotel without that direct entrance.

Maumelle real estate agent Lynda Bowers requested the amendment to the Maumelle master street plan to allow the entrance. She told the commission that Hampton Inn would just move up the boulevard a few blocks into North Little Rock, which would allow an entrance. She said the original plans were to locate the hotel on property David Elrod owned and cut trees last fall just past Crystal Hill Road and past the land where several junk cars are stored. That plot was partly in North Little Rock and partly in the county.

Here's the link to the full story...

http://www.maumellemonitor.com/articles/20..._news/nws04.txt