Maumelle

Planning commission rejects upscale Hampton Inn

By Bill Lawson \ Staff Writer \ [email protected]

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:57 PM CDT

An attempt to build an upscale Hampton Inn across the street from the new Wal-Mart Supercenter on Maumelle Boulevard was defeated at the planning commission meeting Thursday despite pleas from city officials that the city needed the tax revenue.

The point of controversy was adding an entrance off Maumelle Boulevard. The hotel chain said it would not build the hotel without that direct entrance.

Here's the link to the full story...

http://www.maumellemonitor.com/articles/20..._news/nws04.txt

Not so fast. Looks like they have decided to approve it. http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2008/j...n-str-20080701/

Also, the new fire/police station was approved. There is a Sonic and BK being built by the Wal-mart. And the WM gas station is now open and they are having a mini price war with the other gas stations. Last time I looked gas was 3.64. WooHoo.

Edited by ndark

Not so fast. Looks like they have decided to approve it. http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2008/j...n-str-20080701/

Also, the new fire/police station was approved. There is a Sonic and BK being built by the Wal-mart. And the WM gas station is now open and they are having a mini price war with the other gas stations. Last time I looked gas was 3.64. WooHoo.

3.64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! :w00t: I know my friends have to be happy about that! The cheapest i have seen it is at sams, and thats with my card. 3.89.

This is so sad, getting excited about 3.64.

Christian Brothers Automotive Corp., a Houston upscale automotive repair company, plans on building 5 shops in central and northwest Arkansas with the first opening in Maumelle near the Wal Mart Supercenter. Afterwards they plan to build two more in the Little Rock area and two in northwest Arkansas. It is known for its hardwood floors, leather sofas, artwork and decorative lighting. Christian Brothers has shops in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Tennesse. Arkansas is part of their expansion plans.

The Wal Mart Neighborhood Market is now open.

I visited Neighborhood Market today. I couldn't help but notice the 'market' in the name and the green shirts worn by the employees, much like those of The Fresh Market. Aside form that, it seemed like any other run of the mill grocery store.

The neighborhood markets I have been in always seemed pretty nice. It can't be any worse than Harvest Foods. I don't know how that chain is still around.

I went to the neighborhood market the other day and I agree that it is much better than the Harvest Foods that was there but it isn't anything special. I am just glad that something is there and not an empty building.

I haven't gotten to see the Neighborhood Market yet in Maumelle, but I'm really curious to see how it compares to the Sherwood store that has been open since the early days of the concept. There are probably several tweaks that have been made in between the openings, much like the difference between the Chenal and Maumelle Boulevard Supercenters.

Also, the Burger King near Little Rock's Pleasant Valley area is accepting applications for the forthcoming Maumelle area location.

• 1 month later...

cozmosis or anybody that may know,

Has there been any new developments on the HS? Is it a done deal? Has a date been set for building and completion? I haven't heard anything since we discussed it a couple months ago and I thought there may be new info out there. I have a couple friends who are considering moving to Maumelle and they have asked me about the HS specifically.

Has there been any new developments on the HS? Is it a done deal? Has a date been set for building and completion? I haven't heard anything since we discussed it a couple months ago and I thought there may be new info out there. I have a couple friends who are considering moving to Maumelle and they have asked me about the HS specifically.

The land across from the middle school is a done deal. I believe it's 80 or 90 acres total for the site. I'm not sure how close they are to breaking ground, but I've seen the plans for the campus and they look pretty good. There is some dirt work going on near the site right now, but I believe it's for a new heavy machinery dealer to be located at the end of Louis Nelson Drive (north of the HS site) and for relocation of some power lights (east of the HS site).

Thanks for the quick replies. I have not been keeping up with ongoing activities in Maumelle the past few months. I tried to find some info on the web but came up empty.

Where can I possibly get a look at the plans? I am very interested in the proposed size, classrooms, etc. Did you see them at a town hall meeting or something?

Edited by ndark

The land across from the middle school is a done deal. I believe it's 80 or 90 acres total for the site. I'm not sure how close they are to breaking ground, but I've seen the plans for the campus and they look pretty good. There is some dirt work going on near the site right now, but I believe it's for a new heavy machinery dealer to be located at the end of Louis Nelson Drive (north of the HS site) and for relocation of some power lights (east of the HS site).

Champs Drive is also being extended and I think they're in the process of linking Champs up with Louis Nelson which I'm pretty sure is what I saw on a street plan somewhere.

Where can I possibly get a look at the plans? I am very interested in the proposed size, classrooms, etc. Did you see them at a town hall meeting or something?

Good question... I just happened to catch someone with a copy. You'd think PCSSD would have them up on their Web site or something. They went before the Planning Commission back in May, I believe.

Champs Drive is also being extended and I think they're in the process of linking Champs up with Louis Nelson which I'm pretty sure is what I saw on a street plan somewhere.

I'd been told about a connection between Champs and Louis Nelson, also... But there is a heavy machinery dealer that is planning to construct a facility at the end of Louis Nelson, so I'm not sure how the two would connect.

As for Champs, the word is that Scholastic is going to vacate that building sometime soon. Part of their Maumelle operations will remain in Maumelle and move to the Burkhalter Industrial Park. I don't know if the other part of their operations will be dissolved or relocated to another city or what.

• 5 weeks later...

The word is that the plumbing permits have been approved for the Hampton Inn near Crystal Hill & Maumelle Blvd. (which, unlike almost everything else at that intersection, will actually be in Maumelle proper). Also, plumbing permit has been approved for the Walgreens on Tract D in front of the new Kroger store, which opens Thursday or Friday.

The word is that the plumbing permits have been approved for the Hampton Inn near Crystal Hill & Maumelle Blvd. (which, unlike almost everything else at that intersection, will actually be in Maumelle proper). Also, plumbing permit has been approved for the Walgreens on Tract D in front of the new Kroger store, which opens Thursday or Friday.

Do you know of anything else planned for the rest of Tract D? With the way Maumelle is booming I really hope they think to the future with the development of the rest of that land. We need a city center. Something more pedestrian oriented. With the lake right and park across the street I really am hoping for something more than them just plotting out the land selling.

I know it will probably not happen but I can dream.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the forum and was just wondering what's the "latest and greatest" news about development in and around Maumelle. We moved to Maumelle a year ago and really love it here. Looks like alot of dirt is being moved around. The new Kroger is nice..has everything and more anybody could be looking for in a grocery store. I'd say the same about the new Walmart Supercenter on Maumelle Blvd. I read the Maumelle Monitor and check the City of Maumelle website for the latest city council and planning commission minutes although at this time they're posting them about a month after the fact so it's basically old news. Specifically, I'm wondering if anybody has heard anything new about the new high school being built, the new Hampton Inn, and if anybody has heard any buzz about what might be going in near the new Kroger and Walmart Supercenter?

LauraW,

The Hampton Inn was approved by the city and has had it's plumbing permit approved by the state, so it seems like a go. Walgreens, which has also had it's plumbing permit approved recently, is planned for the corner of South Odom and Maumelle Blvd. A pallet manufacturer is opening a facility on Carnahan Drive just behind the old Windsor Door plant.

Also, word on the street is that plans are still a go for a Holiday Inn Express with nearby restaurant where the old I-40 Restaurant existed at Morgan. Work on the new high school should, in theory, start pretty soon. The original plan was for it to open for the 2010-11 school year. Supposedly, construction happening now on the Carnahan extension will allow for a road to link Carnahan with Champs Blvd. along the high school property.

The police and fire departments are trimming the budget on their respective stations to be located at Maumelle Blvd. and Murphy Drive. I believe the bids came in just $400k over. Not bad considering the state of economic affairs in the world today. Hopefully, construction will start before the end of the year. A construction trailer has already been moved onto the site.

As far as NLR goes... Rumor says that a Colton's and a Home Depot are planned for around the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Maumelle Blvd (more of Maumelle's tax money going into North Little Rock's coffers). They've come a long way with the new apartment complex located off Paul Eells Drive near Wal-Mart. I can't imagine they're far from being open.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, as I surfed around the 'Net this morning, I came across an employment listing for Hibbett Sports, coming soon to Maumelle. It didn't say where in the city, though...

It is in the same development as the new China Buffet and Bedding Mart across from Mi Burrito. They have a sign up and a now hiring sign over the door.

Also, there is a new strip of stores being put up next to the Sonic by Wal-Mart and there is some new foundation work being done on the large cleared area of land behind Wal-Mart. Does anybody know the tenants of these locations.

So, as I surfed around the 'Net this morning, I came across an employment listing for Hibbett Sports, coming soon to Maumelle. It didn't say where in the city, though...

Actually, that's not in Maumelle at all. And although the location appears to be in North Little Rock (it will be in with Firehouse Subs, etc.), recent scuttlebutt says that the shopping center is actually in unincorporated Pulaski County.

The shopping center is Riverpointe Plaza, which is developed by Richardson Properties, and is the centerpiece of about $10 million in property improvement. Richardson developed along the boulevard as far back as 15 years earlier, when Richdale was brand new. Of course, the tell-tale sign that it's not in Maumelle itself: direct entry from the boulevard to businesses.

I was pulling out of the Wal-Mart Supercenter parking lot on Maumelle Blvd today and noticed a new sign at the strip center being constructed next to the new Sonic. The sign read something along the lines of "now leasing- join tenants Dollar Tree and Russell Cellular". Hopefully something a little more exciting is still to come. A Lowes somewhere along Maumelle Blvd would be nice!