Cabot

tim2462

Harrison has never been the capital of the KKK, the grand wizard once lived in Yellville...but he died.

I don't think blacks are scared to live or travel there, again, blacks just don't want to live in the mountains or hills. They don't live in the appalachians or rockies either. But, I do think it's a bit silly for us to discuss why blacks won't live where. We are not black. When somebody black tells me they are scared to live somewhere, then I'll believe that. That just sounds proposterous.

I read that part of the reason why the population was so white in the Northwestern half of the state (other than the obvious lack of plantations back in the slavery era) was because white people within Arkansas that used to live in the Delta moved to the hills once slaves were emancipated.

And because of its reputation, black people were/are afraid to move to that area for the most part. Harrison, Arkansas, is the self-proclaimed headquarters of the KKK....and I know a few blacks who won't even travel in that general area.

It's not a far-fetched idea, at all.

Here's some info: http://asms.k12.ar.us/armem/daymart/KKK.htm

The Ku Klux Klan (KKK) is probably the most well known White Supremacy group in the world. Even though its pinnacle of influence was at the beginning of the century, the Klan has continued to thrive in the US, particularly the Deep South such as Georgia, Alabama, and Arkansas. The largest faction of the Klan, The Knights of the Ku Klux Klan(KKKK), is headquartered in Harrison Arkansas. Arkansas also has a greater number of Klan members than any other state. The Klan has affected Arkansas in various ways since its formation in post Civil War South.

That information is probably not current. I haven't heard anything out of the KKK in a very long time. Black people live in Harrison as well. Have you ever heard of any harrassment there of them? I know I haven't.

For the most part...black people want to live around black people and white people want to live around white people...this is why we have majority white cities and majority black cities. Even in cities like Memphis that are majority black, the eastern half is basically all white. Maybe there will come a time when this is a non issue.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harrison has never been the capital of the KKK, the grand wizard once lived in Yellville...but he died.

I don't think blacks are scared to live or travel there, again, blacks just don't want to live in the mountains or hills. They don't live in the appalachians or rockies either. But, I do think it's a bit silly for us to discuss why blacks won't live where. We are not black. When somebody black tells me they are scared to live somewhere, then I'll believe that. That just sounds proposterous.

That information is not current. Black people live in Harrison as well. Have you ever heard of any harrassment there of them?

Sigh.

Yes, Harrison is the headquarters of the largest KKK organization:

It's mentioned here and on the quote I gave you previously.

I don't "think" black are scared to live there either. I KNOW a lot are scared to live there. I actually do have black friends. (And no, I'm not the type of person who "has" black friends but doesn't want them moving in my neighborhood....as is the case with many people who try to prove the racial tolerance.)

I'm not black either, but I'm half minority. My mother is Asian, and I know she is scared to death of the KKK in Harrison, Arkansas....even though she probably wouldn't have as much to be afraid of (blacks are definitely the main targets of KKK).

Yes, there is a family or two of black people that live in Harrison:

The racial makeup of the city is 97.24% White, 0.12% Black or African American, 0.74% Native American, 0.51% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.62% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. 1.53% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Wow, and astounding 0.12%! An astounding 12% of 1% of Harrison is black. You're absolutely right. You just proved me wrong. This black family clearly shows that Harrison is indeed inclusive of blacks!

Black people live in Harrison as well. Have you ever heard of any harrassment there of them?
Yes, I have heard of harassment of black people from a white girl who lives there. She said that most blacks were harassed until they moved away. But they weren't lynched!....so maybe that means Harrison does accept them!

My English teacher from my old school mentioned the same stories of harassment from Harrison, Arkansas. He even mentioned that there was a strip of highway adopted by the Harrison KKK outside of Harrison! Oh those community lovers!

When somebody black tells me they are scared to live somewhere, then I'll believe that.

You're absolutely right. Ya know, I'm really beginning to doubt the Holocaust happened too. Maybe, if some sort of Jew or something came and told me the horrors of it and that he was specifically involved...I would believe it. But it would really need to be a few hundred Jews....because we all know they lie.

That post proves that this argument has gone too far...I'm done with it. We are not black and should not be discussing where they will or will not live. If someone that was black wanted to discuss this, that would be different. This topic was started to talk about the growith and development in Cabot...not to discuss the racial make up of the town and why.

In general through history, there has never been a black population anywhere in the northern half of the state, with the exception of Blytheville. Even Jonesboro never had much of one until recent years.

Cabot and Conway are in the northern half of the state and never had a black population. Conway has just in recent years gained a good bit of black population, and Cabot will follow.

That's incorrect about Conway. It's always had a couple of small black neighborhoods, going back to the 50s. Ever heard of Plumerville? It's an almost entirely black community between Conway and Morrilton, which also has a sizable black population. Ft Smith of course has a sizable black population and has since at least the 70s. Of course the Ozarks are largely non-black but the Southern half vs Northern half isn't really a line of demarcation, some of the highest percentages of blacks in the state are in NE Arkansas - probably more than in SW Arkansas.

Last time I checked the KKK HQs was in Zinc, AR just outside of Harrison, which in no way should reflect on Harrison, the Ozarks, or Arkansas in general. I think the vast majority of those in any of these places as a whole are abhorred by this and the number that are proud of it is miniscule.

That post proves that this argument has gone too far...I'm done with it. We are not black and should not be discussing where they will or will not live. If someone that was black wanted to discuss this, that would be different. This topic was started to talk about the growith and development in Cabot...not to discuss the racial make up of the town and why.

I was kidding around with ya in some parts. But ok. Argument over (i think).

On their website they claim Harrison as the headquarters and they have an address there (a PO Box).

http://www.kkk.bz/index1.htm

Harrison and Zinc are basically the same city. If you look here http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%3A+Harr...35673&f=d&hl=en they are only 1 mile apart. 1!

And I completely agree that it is abhorred by the majority. But still, the minority of the population that is outright racist is huge compared to other cities.

I was kidding around with ya in some parts. But ok. Argument over (i think).

Not that this is at all the case now but when my mom was growing up in Bentonville they used to chase blacks out of town and there were signs posted at the edges of town that said - well, you can guess the profanity that wasn't allowed. There were NO blacks in B'ville at that time. She said the signs came down in the late 70s but that attitude persisted after that for some time. Obviously, it's a very different place now.

I've heard it argued before that much of NWA's growth is white flight from other parts of the state. I'm not agreeing with it or dissenting but it's an interesting argument. I think it's probably a small factor but availability of jobs, scenery, appeal of a big university, and good schools are probably much bigger factors.

It just really angered me when Skirby brought this whole mess up. A lot of good things are happening in Cabot. I wanted for people to be able to read about the happenings here as they are not widely reported.

Things are different than they were. Both races are guilty of a lot of things...but it's not fair to talk about another race when we aren't in their shoes, and they aren't here to defend themselves. Ths topic is about News and Developments, not race.

It just really angered me when Skirby brought this whole mess up. A lot of good things are happening in Cabot. I wanted for people to be able to read about the happenings here as they are not widely reported.

Things are different than they were. Both races are guilty of a lot of things...but it's not fair to talk about another race when we aren't in their shoes, and they aren't here to defend themselves. Ths topic is about News and Developments, not race.

The only criticisms I saw were of white people, not black. These aren't easy things to talk about but it comes up everywhere in America and it's silly to deny it.

Now we can end this derailment and get back to the always interesting topic of Cabot development, where I'm sure as we speak there are plans to build a new strip mall near the Wal-Mart which will have a Quizno's, Cabot Tanz, and possibly even Nails4Less.

It was also being said that black people are scared to live in certain places...we don't KNOW that. Those are some of the things being built there and everywhere else, even in surburban dallas. However, there are other things happening there and bigger things coming...it is just now over 20,000...so, let's be patient. If you don't like this excitng topic, you don't have to read it.

It was also being said that black people are scared to live in certain places...we don't KNOW that. Those are some of the things being built there and everywhere else, even in surburban dallas. However, there are other things happening there and bigger things coming...it is just now over 20,000...so, let's be patient. If you don't like this excitng topic, you don't have to read it.

I'm an Arkansan first and I was halfway joking, though admittedly Cow-butt isn't my favorite Central Arkansas town. I spent all of my life except for 6 mos in Central Arkansas so though I live in Dallas now I have reasons for my opinions. I just can't really find one interesting thing about Cabot development, which is weird because that's not true of NWA or Conway or Saline Cos.

I already said I KNOW black people who are afraid of Harrison because of the KKK. I said that many posts ago.

Thanks for conveniently ignoring that.

You're trying to say because you don't know black people who have specifically told you that they're afraid of Harrison, then it must just not be true....... Oi vey.

But come on, as Aporkalypse and you have already said...let's just get to the more interesting discussion of Nails4less in Cabot ;)

I heard it's dandy.

I already said I KNOW black people who are afraid of Harrison because of the KKK. I said that many posts ago.

Thanks for conveniently ignoring that.

You're trying to say because you don't know black people who have specifically told you that they're afraid of Harrison, then it must just not be true....... Oi vey.

I didn't conveniently ignore anything...surely you can understand with all of the argument that it's possilbe to miss something. Maybe some are afraid to live in Harrison...it's funny how this went from Cabot Development to White Flight, to the KKK and Harrison...This is as far off topic as one can get.

I just don't think it's our place to discuss those issues, certainly not here.

I didn't conveniently ignore anything...surely you can understand with all of the argument that it's possilbe to miss something. Maybe some are afraid to live in Harrison...it's funny how this went from Cabot Development to White Flight, to the KKK and Harrison...This is as far off topic as one can get.

I just don't think it's our place to discuss those issues, certainly not here.

Ok.

Or maybe rename it to "Cabot- White Flight".

I find the thread pretty interesting because of it.

If MCheiss removes this thread because of extraneous info, he'll need to remove SEVERAL threads because of extraneous info.

Considering his history of pirating Central Ark threads into NWA threads and my history of doing the opposite at times, I think you're probably right.

Just as with speeding, we're all guilty.

I didn't mean remove it for the extraneous info....It is just not serving the purpose I intended and I would be ashamed for people to read all of those posts...most of those things should've never been said by anyone.

A lot of it was just childish...it should've ended long before now. It's my fault as well...I should've never responded to Skirby...I have learned my lesson.

I didn't mean remove it for the extraneous info....It is just not serving the purpose I intended and I would be ashamed for people to read all of those posts...most of those things should've never been said by anyone.

A lot of it was just childish...it should've ended long before now. It's my fault as well...I should've never responded to Skirby...I have learned my lesson.

Are you serious?

White flight is about as appropriate a topic for discussion on an urban forum as anything I can think of. There has been plenty of discussion about it on other forums and subforums here. It's a fact that it occurs in the majority of the nation's metro areas and books and articles are written on it and mayors and city councils all across America work to fight it every day. It's not like these guys just made it up or something, that it's a novel idea, it's a serious adult issue worthy of discussion. In regards to the LR metro it's something I heard mentioned by someone on a weekly basis my entire life. We're not children and I am yet to see a racist comment, generally it's the opposite. There is nothing to be ashamed of in discussing real world issues.

I understand that it happens. But I don't like calling it "White Flight" because that implies that white people are running from black people. It adds a racism component to a real issue. The fact is, for the most part...white people want to live around mostly white people and black people want to live around black people. Skirby started all of this and his post was very racially motivated. He tried to make it sound like if a black person went to Cabot, they'd be killed. That is certainly not true.

I understand that it happens. But I don't like calling it "White Flight" because that implies that white people are running from black people. It adds a racism component to a real issue. The fact is, for the most part...white people want to live around mostly white people and black people want to live around black people. Skirby started all of this and his post was very racially motivated. He tried to make it sound like if a black person went to Cabot, they'd be killed. That is certainly not true.

I still don't buy the "black people want to live around black people" thing. When I was a kid the Reservoir Road area was all white, now it's probably 2/3 black. That happened gradually via migration of blacks to a majority white area. Southwest LR was virtually all white at one point and is largely minority now and it occurred the same way. The same happened pretty much in every area of LR or NLR where blacks are the majority and I'm not saying it's bad but that it that it does happen and it's silly to deny it. I don't agree necessarily that "white people want to live around mostly white people" but rather think that only some do, which is why LR still has 115k white people and only 5000 white people chose Cabot. Most people don't care, only some do, and racism is a real issue - don't deny that. It's not unique and in fact is probably less of a problem in LR than most similar cities. Just ask every person I've ever met from Ohio.

I certainly don't believe a black person would be killed in Cabot, that's ludacrisp.

Archived