New Years Party- Downtown?

rbdetsport

Happy New Year Everyone! Even though I am a little early..... On to the subject. We all know that 70% or more watch Times Square on New Years. It looks like a blast. But why doesn't Detroit have their own tradition of a New Years Party like millions of people watching "the ball drop" at 11:59:50?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh, I know the answer to this question. It's one of the reasons many larger cities are reluctant to have New Year's Eve bashes. The reason is alcohol. Detroit is still a city that has a high crime rate. People may not be comfortable coming downtown and partying with strangers that are drinking, especially if there are gangs present. Take it from me who has been to New Years Eve parties in NY Times Square and Chicago. Chicago's went all right, but it was crazy being around drunks and out of control people. It was so incredibly crowded and loud I could barely even talk with the other people with me. Times Square was awful. It was even more crowded, you couldn't leave your spot or you wouldn't be let back in to where you were standing. People were out of control, police were working around the clock, and it basically turned into a chaotic mess. TV just makes it look glamorous. From afar it appears to be, but it's not as enjoyable as it looks. I still find it more enjoyable to party with my friends like I'll be doing tonight. :shades::lol::yahoo::wacko::sick:

So basically, Detroit does not have the resources to put such an event on. And there is a huge issue with public safety. This issue is the same for nearly every major city in the state.

While on a much smaller scale, doesn't Detroit have the ringing of the Millennium Bell in Grand Circus Park?

Yes, public safety is a huge issue, though, still. In fact, one of the traditional things to do in the city is to shot your gun into the air at midnight. My mom used to keep us inside and stay away from the windows. lol Detroit isn't the only place where this is common, though.

While on a much smaller scale, doesn't Detroit have the ringing of the Millennium Bell in Grand Circus Park?

Yes, public safety is a huge issue, though, still. In fact, one of the traditional things to do in the city is to shot your gun into the air at midnight. My mom used to keep us inside and stay away from the windows. lol Detroit isn't the only place where this is common, though.

Lmich, I got a call from my parents today who live in the Lewton/D. Rich area of Lansing, who said several guns were fired in the air at midnight last night...have you heard of any damage/arrests? I guess it was a pretty hot item on the news today.

come to think of it, this probably belonged on the Lansing board, sorry :(

I know of very few cities (including Midwest ones) that don't have some kind of celebratory shooting in certain neighborhoods. I've ALWAYS heard shooting here in Lansing. Of course it was nothing on the scale of Detroit, but there are few places I can think of where this is not an issue (if even smaller scaled in certain cities).

Archived