Everything Conway

The negotiations are not going very well and UCA has given Papa John's until Jan. 9th, 2015 to accept or eminent domain proceedings will commence . Papa John's has until March 15, 2015 to vacate so construction can start.

Papa John's has accepted an offer from UCA and will move across campus, it will not be part of the development. Look for construction  on Donaghey Hall to start within the next few months.

Donaghey Hall

MaUqrJ.png

Edited by skirby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few things going on in Conway. A three story medical office building will soon start construction across from the under construction Baptist Hospital. Metova will be opening a new office in downtown. They are now hiring(mobile and web developers) but so far the number of employes has not been released. Also, the Governor will be in Conway tomorrow for a job creation announcement. 

A few things going on in Conway. A three story medical office building will soon start construction across from the under construction Baptist Hospital. Metova will be opening a new office in downtown. They are now hiring(mobile and web developers) but so far the number of employes has not been released. Also, the Governor will be in Conway tomorrow for a job creation announcement. 

Looks like there will be 2 companies locating in the Halter Building with a total of over 100 jobs plus a 3rd company locating in another building in the area, Will update after the announcement.

UPDATE: The plans are to employ up to 140. One of the reasons all three companies said they picked the location was the environment of downtown Conway.

Edited by skirby

Looks like there will be 3 companies locating in the Halter Building with a total of over 100 jobs. Will update after the announcement.

UPDATE: The plans are to employ up to 140. One of the reasons all three companies said they picked the location was the environment of downtown Conway.

Good news. I have hope that Asa can make this state a better place for business and help create real economic growth. Time will tell

The last plane flew out of the airport Saturday. There is now a big X on the runway. It is my understanding that it will stay there for the next month then the runway can be removed.  Also, because of the new businesses opening up in downtown the city will be doing a study about constructing a parking deck.

• 1 month later...

It looks like the latest lease plan for Central Landing has changed some of the retailers that are expected.

http://jwamalls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Central-Landing-Lease-Plan.pdf

Some of the biggest changes I noticed were:

The addition of a 20,000 SF H&M

The loss of Books a Million

The addition of an 8,944 SF GAP factory store

The American Eagle store changing to an American Eagle Outlet store

There were some smaller stores added and lost as well.  Overall, I think the changes are a big plus, especially the unexpected H&M.

A Tulsa investor has purchased the former Superior Chevrolet location on East Oak. At the first of the year this property was to be developed into a Chedder"s and other uses but these plans were withdrawn. Plans for the 6.2 acre site have to been released but Arkansas Business reports that a mixed use development could include restaurants, retail and a hotel.

The Superior Chevrolet building is now history.

It looks like the latest lease plan for Central Landing has changed some of the retailers that are expected.

http://jwamalls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Central-Landing-Lease-Plan.pdf

Some of the biggest changes I noticed were:

The addition of a 20,000 SF H&M

The loss of Books a Million

The addition of an 8,944 SF GAP factory store

The American Eagle store changing to an American Eagle Outlet store

There were some smaller stores added and lost as well.  Overall, I think the changes are a big plus, especially the unexpected H&M.

According to these plans the size of the Dillard's has been increased from 126,000 sq ft to 140,000 sq ft.

With H&M going in Central Landing I'm wondering if they will open a store in Little Rock as well?

Based on their current locations, they don't seem to do multiple in one market unless it's a really large one like Dallas. For example, Shreveport, LA, and Jackson, MS-area each only have one location. Jackson's isn't actually in the city of Jackson, so I guess there's a precedent, but I'm surprised LR's only one will actually be in Conway. Was really hoping this would be in the Promenade.

Based on their current locations, they don't seem to do multiple in one market unless it's a really large one like Dallas. For example, Shreveport, LA, and Jackson, MS-area each only have one location. Jackson's isn't actually in the city of Jackson, so I guess there's a precedent, but I'm surprised LR's only one will actually be in Conway. Was really hoping this would be in the Promenade.

The Little Rock Metro area is significantly lager than either of the two examples you gave. There will be one in Little Rock (the Promenade or somewhere in midtown) as well as NWA (probably Rogers, hopefully Fayetteville) within the next 1-3 years. H&M is going through a major expansion right now and moving into smaller or less traditional trade markets so they will have no problem opening two in the LR Metro.

• Like 1

The Little Rock Metro area is significantly lager than either of the two examples you gave. There will be one in Little Rock (the Promenade or somewhere in midtown) as well as NWA (probably Rogers, hopefully Fayetteville) within the next 1-3 years. H&M is going through a major expansion right now and moving into smaller or less traditional trade markets so they will have no problem opening two in the LR Metro.

I was told they were debating between Conway and Little Rock, not planning for two. That may change over time, but my understanding is the current strategy is for one store to serve the entire MSA.

I think it's smart for H&M to open in Conway.  H&M definitely caters to the college crowd.  With three colleges and about 10,000 students, it just makes sense to set up shop there. 

There are more college students in Pulaski County, plus an additional ±390,000 people.

I think it's smart for H&M to open in Conway.  H&M definitely caters to the college crowd.  With three colleges and about 10,000 students, it just makes sense to set up shop there. 

Obviously H&M doesn't plan on getting any business from Pulaski County. There's not a lot in Conway to draw people from Little Rock, but there is a lot going on in Little Rock to draw people from Conway.

Obviously H&M doesn't plan on getting any business from Pulaski County. There's not a lot in Conway to draw people from Little Rock, but there is a lot going on in Little Rock to draw people from Conway.

I have to agree, this seems like an odd decision.  My wife likes to shop at H&M when we are traveling but she was disappointed to hear that it was coming to Conway.  For us, there is nothing in Conway for the drive to be worth just visiting one store.

I have to agree, this seems like an odd decision. My wife likes to shop at H&M when we are traveling but she was disappointed to hear that it was coming to Conway. For us, there is nothing in Conway for the drive to be worth just visiting one store.

I'm sure H&M will open a location in Little Rock, AR as well (preferably the Promenade at Chenal or the Outlets at Little Rock).

• 2 weeks later...

Papa John's has left the building which will soon be demolished. Permits have been issued and look for construction to start soon on Donaghey Hall. 

phC13s.jpg

Below are two of the five new houses that make up the first phase of UCA's Greek Village. They are scheduled to open for the fall semester.

kEwggh.jpg

Papa John's has left the building which will soon be demolished. Permits have been issued and look for construction to start soon on Donaghey Hall. 

phC13s.jpg

Below are two of the five new houses that make up the first phase of UCA's Greek Village. They are scheduled to open for the fall semester.

kEwggh.jpg

Oh, so that's what those buildings are going to be.  I drove by there Saturday and noticed all the construction.  It's beautiful and quite impressive.  UCA has never looked better! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The city has approved a bid for the construction of an I-40 overpass connecting Conway Commons and the future Central Landing project. The overpass will include broad walkways for pedestrians and is designed to allow for landscaping.  Conway's use of roundabouts will continue with an elevated one on the east side of the overpass.

• 1 month later...

Update on Conway development:

Hendrix Village mixed use buildings with apartments on top floor. Most if not all of the residential lots have been built on.

IMG_1370.thumb.JPG.47be026a61c34365fd78d

Donaghey Hall at UCA under construction.

IMG_1376.thumb.JPG.2bb8a3ea3b1030c2345fa

The new Baptist Hospital.

IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.6670faa4fa11f7389bf74

Across the street new medical offices being built.

IMG_1375.thumb.JPG.26cf0beaacba6b558357c

Other projects include the overpass connecting Conway Commons and soon to be built Central Landing is now under construction. They have started removing the old runway to make way for Central Landing. Sam's Club has received its plumbing permit so construction should start soon on Lewis Crossing. Also, one of the tech companies that was announced in the spring has stated it will hire an additional 100 employees.

• 2 weeks later...