Everything Conway

28 minutes ago, Smith said:

It's at Dave Ward and Donaghey which has plenty of traffic (I see it everyday) and is directly across from UCA. I'm sure they are betting more on locals than interstate travelers. The one off the beaten path is the one in Greenbrier!

Well I am shocked that there is even a Steak N Shake in Greenbrier to begin with.    

On 2/11/2019 at 11:57 AM, Architect said:

Were you aware that there’s a Freddie’s in Batesville?

There are twice as many people in Batesville as there are in Greenbrier.   Greenbrier is just minutes away from Conway where there is a Steak N Shake.   The franchisee of the Western Sizzlin in Greenbrier would also like to know why there's a Steak N Shake in Greenbrier.  It seems the two restaurants are under the same corporate umbrella.   The franchise agreement Western Sizzlin's franchisee has states there is a mutual covenant not to own or operate another restaurant within the exclusive territory in the franchise agreement that serves steak or steak products.   There's a lawsuit pending now.

It makes sense why there is a Freddie's in Batesville.  

12 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

There are twice as many people in Batesville as there are in Greenbrier.   Greenbrier is just minutes away from Conway where there is a Steak N Shake.   The franchisee of the Western Sizzlin in Greenbrier would also like to know why there's a Steak N Shake in Greenbrier.  It seems the two restaurants are under the same corporate umbrella.   The franchise agreement Western Sizzlin's franchisee has states there is a mutual covenant not to own or operate another restaurant within the exclusive territory in the franchise agreement that serves steak or steak products.   There's a lawsuit pending now.

It makes sense why there is a Freddie's in Batesville.  

Batesville is a very small town in a remote part of the state, disengaged from any notable metropolitan area, unlike Greenbrier, which is a bedroom community to greater Little Rock.  I’ve never seen a chain like that in a market that small...maybe  it works simply because Batesville is remote with few options or competition.

...and you’ve got to be kidding me about that lawsuit. The ONLY similarity between Western Sizzlin (seriously didn’t even imagine those were still around) and Steak-n-Shake is a word on the menu.

10 hours ago, Architect said:

...and you’ve got to be kidding me about that lawsuit. The ONLY similarity between Western Sizzlin (seriously didn’t even imagine those were still around) and Steak-n-Shake is a word on the menu.

It's a Western Sizzlin Express whatever that means and I think it has a drive thru.  The lawsuit is more about the franchise rights and a little more in depth than just menu items. The WS guy had first applied for a Steak N Shake franchise license in Greenbrier but was denied so then applied for the WS license. He claims he would not have spent the money on WS if he had known a SNS was still coming after he was denied. He is suing for lost profits and to be released from the franchise contract. I can understand his frustrations but WS would not have been my second choice after being denied.

Edited by Smith
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Architect said:

Batesville is a very small town in a remote part of the state, disengaged from any notable metropolitan area, unlike Greenbrier, which is a bedroom community to greater Little Rock.  I’ve never seen a chain like that in a market that small...maybe  it works simply because Batesville is remote with few options or competition.

The thing about Batesville is that while it's relatively remote -- slightly closer to Cabot than to Jonesboro, and particularly distant from major metropolitan areas to the north and west -- it's more populous than every other city (including Heber Springs and Newport) within a 30-mile radius.  So, it's become a hub with a broader economic base than anywhere else in that sphere, with a relatively large hospital in the region, two colleges (including four-year Lyon College), and a significant group of manufacturers.  Two Batesville-based banks -- The Citizens Bank and First Community Bank -- are also continuing to make inroads into the central Arkansas market. I used to wonder to myself how a retailer like JCPenney could manage a store in Batesville all these years, but it's less surprising  the more I've looked at what else can be found there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, skirby said:

Property has been purchased for the first Arkansas location of Walk-On's. It will be located at the Lewis Ranch development in Conway.  Construction is expected to start within the next thirty days.

I was wondering about Walk On's recently.  They announced years ago they would be opening 5 or 6 locations in the metro area.  It's been a long wait. 

20 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

There are a few places in LR they could go, not sure how they would do but would be interesting to see. The old Tavern location out in WLR would be a good spot for another sports type bar. 

-R

That would be a great location for a Walk Ons.  

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2019 at 8:55 AM, Smith said:

It's a Western Sizzlin Express whatever that means and I think it has a drive thru.  The lawsuit is more about the franchise rights and a little more in depth than just menu items. The WS guy had first applied for a Steak N Shake franchise license in Greenbrier but was denied so then applied for the WS license. He claims he would not have spent the money on WS if he had known a SNS was still coming after he was denied. He is suing for lost profits and to be released from the franchise contract. I can understand his frustrations but WS would not have been my second choice after being denied.

Looks like the Western Sizzlin Express saga in Greenbrier is coming to a close on at least one front. After having posted a sign that the restaurant was closed for remodeling, Eric Harrison reports in this morning's Democrat-Gazette that the building will instead convert to a Dairy Queen — and exceed other central Arkansas DQ locations by about 1,000 sf.

Conway Restaurant News:

• Walk-Ons is getting ready for ground breaking in the Lewis Ranch development on Amity Rd
  • Minute Man of El Dorado is said to be looking at a Conway location
  • Skinny J's is going in the former Draft/Roux's location on Dave Ward
  • Taco Bell has a plumbing permit for what I think is the empty lot next to Steak 'n Shake on Dave Ward
  • The old Exxon at I-40 and Oak Street was razed and now a strip with Panda Express and Sleep Number store that are about ready to open
  • Your Pie on Dave Ward in a strip next to Andy's Frozen Custard is nearing their opening date

Non-restaurant: Sissy's Log Cabin is moving into the old Simmons location near Conway Commons

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, skirby said:

You also failed to mention Denny's going in next to Walk-Ons unless you are not a fan of the Grand Slam.

Also, the Hampton Inn has topped out and has taken up the space of the former Ruby Tuesday's.

Ah ok. I've seen the framing start but wasn't sure if that was something else or the Walk-Ons. I am not a big fan of Denny's either.

I don't make it over to that Hampton Inn side often enough I guess to know which hotels are new. There is some work going on with the old Village Inn/ Weird Italian restaurant/ Shucked space too.

• 3 months later...

Conway is on a roll with new job announcements over the past few months. The first to announce was DXC Technology with 1200 new jobs to be added to the 450 now employed. This was followed by Structurlam Mass Timber expanding into the U.S. It will employ 130 workers building lamented beams for the construction industry. Also, SFI will expand by adding 75 to its workforce in  steel fabrication.   The 1400+ new jobs announced exceeds the 900 people unemployed shown in the October workforce numbers.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 7:44 AM, skirby said:

Conway is on a roll with new job announcements over the past few months. The first to announce was DXC Technology with 1200 new jobs to be added to the 450 now employed. This was followed by Structurlam Mass Timber expanding into the U.S. It will employ 130 workers building lamented beams for the construction industry. Also, SFI will expand by adding 75 to its workforce in  steel fabrication.   The 1400+ new jobs announced exceeds the 900 people unemployed shown in the October workforce numbers.

Conway is doing something right. There are restaurants popping up all over. 2 new apartment complexes about ready to open. Downtown is looking great. UCA has 4 or 5 construction projects going on. No wonder they are attracting new companies/jobs. It's so much different than when I was in school 15 years ago.

• 7 months later...

It is not all bad news concerning COVID-19 in Conway. A number of restaurants have opened up during this time period which include:

O'Malley's Iris Grill

Brick and Forge(Old Chicago location)

Tropical Smoothie Cafe has opened up a new stand alone location on Oak

YGFBF Kitchen

KrabKings(Katmondu Momo location)

Sweet House Donuts and Ice Cream

Texas Roadhouse has a building permit for a Lewis Ranch location.

It is not all bad news concerning COVID-19 in Conway. A number of restaurants have opened up during this time period which include:
O'Malley's Iris Grill
Brick and Forge(Old Chicago location)
Tropical Smoothie Cafe has opened up a new stand alone location on Oak
YGFBF Kitchen
KrabKings(Katmondu Momo location)
Sweet House Donuts and Ice Cream
Texas Roadhouse has a building permit for a Lewis Ranch location.

Wasn’t the regional chain “Walk-On’s” supposed to open on Conway? That certainly could have been delayed by COVID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk