Everything Conway

I've talked to various people at Metroplan and the AHTD, and they are very aware of the need for I-40 to be expanded, but it may not happen until 2009 (I don't know why that is). Also, on the loop, most people I've talked to about it seem to think it may be 20 years before it gets built, if it does at all. The city just can't afford something that big.

You know, people in Conway complain about traffic and pot-holes, but no one wants to raise taxes to do something about. The problems will just get worse and it will have an impact on growth.

I wonder how long it will take NWA to widen I-540, if Conway's expansion could take up to 20 years.

I doubt it will be that long, they have some of the funding in place and just got some money allocated to it from the transportation bill...Conway should have it in 5-8 years...I would guess 540 would be widened in that same time period.

Are you saying 5 to 8 years with the finished product?

I would say 5-8 years to be well in the process of building it...it's just hard to say...one would hope they would be finished within 10...we're not talking about long stretches of road...probably about 20 miles in NWA and about 10 or so on the Conway Loop. Maybe they can get the Conway Loop done sooner...we'll just have to see how the funding plays out.

I would say 5-8 years to be well in the process of building it...it's just hard to say...one would hope they would be finished within 10...we're not talking about long stretches of road...probably about 20 miles in NWA and about 10 or so on the Conway Loop. Maybe they can get the Conway Loop done sooner...we'll just have to see how the funding plays out.

I think it's unlikely that any significant amount of work will be done on the loop by the end of this decade. The money allocated by Congress so far for the project won't even cover the cost of buying land for the route. Given current spending issues in Washington, there may not be much more to come for some time. Without additional federal funding, buying land will be the only thing the city could do.

They were resurfacing I-40 between Conway and Little Rock from the time I was in college in the mid to late 90s until just 2-3 years ago. I always questioned why they didn't just go ahead and widen it at that time, it never made sense.

Traffic, even back then, was HELL on that road. My wife was living in Conway and working at Baptist in LR at the time and her commute sometimes was more than an hour.

Has anyone heard anything about the big movie theater planned for Conway? It's supposed to be along Dave Ward Dr. Also, what about the Ruby Tuesday that was announced back at the end of '04? It was going to be built by the Outback Steakhouse. What ever became of these two projects?

Has anyone heard anything about the big movie theater planned for Conway? It's supposed to be along Dave Ward Dr. Also, what about the Ruby Tuesday that was announced back at the end of '04? It was going to be built by the Outback Steakhouse. What ever became of these two projects?

I've heard that the movie theater is not going forward. I've heard various rumors about why the project isn't going through, mostly dealing with financial problems and not being able to get a fast food restaurant on the site approved by the planning commission or city council, but none of that can be confirmed as the cause.

A nice big movie theater is just what Conway needs. It's great Conway is getting all of the new restaurants and retail...but they need to start concentrating on getting some entertainment type development.

I agree.

Conway is a young vibrant city, that's too big not to have a big movie theatre. They could start taking back those tax dollars from Little Rock.

Not to mention the one in Fayetteville...I think it is going to be 16 screens?

I've heard 12 up here. It was suppose to 16, but I think they downsized it a bit.

Plus, we have the Sugarcreek 10 in Bella Vista, the Fiesta Square 16 in Fayetteville, Razorback 6 in Fayetteville, and Malco Twin in Fayetteville.

You guys are overserved and Conway is underserved. Conway has 2- 6 screen theaters...I think one is going to be a dollar theater.

The Theatres are packed up here, as we pull customers from all over Benton County Washington, Carroll, Madison, McDonald County MO, and Eastern Oklahoma. Especially the Rogers Malco, which is the only current stadium seating theatre in NWA, which is packed every night.

A nice big movie theater is just what Conway needs. It's great Conway is getting all of the new restaurants and retail...but they need to start concentrating on getting some entertainment type development.

In retrospect, when Tinseltown became the first stadium-seating theater in Arkansas I would've thought Conway would be a better location. A 12-14 screen theater similar to the one at Breckenridge would do well, I think, the existing ones there needs to go the way of the dodo. Even when I was in college in the mid 90s we wouldn't go to see movies in Conway, we'd just as well drive down to LR.

As for the draw of Conway - mcheiss don't forget that a lot of the areas west and north of Conway depend on them. People drive from Morrilton, Clinton, Russelville, Perry County, etc to shop and do things in Conway because it saves them an extra 30 minutes and the hassle of Little Rock traffic when the options are available there, which in many cases they aren't.

Edited by Aporkalypse

In retrospect, when Tinseltown became the first stadium-seating theater in Arkansas I would've thought Conway would be a better location. A 12-14 screen theater similar to the one at Breckenridge would do well, I think, the existing ones there needs to go the way of the dodo. Even when I was in college in the mid 90s we wouldn't go to see movies in Conway, we'd just as well drive down to LR.

As for the draw of Conway - mcheiss don't forget that a lot of the areas west and north of Conway depend on them. People drive from Morrilton, Clinton, Russelville, Perry County, etc to shop and do things in Conway because it saves them an extra 30 minutes and the hassle of Little Rock traffic when the options are available there, which in many cases they aren't.

Exactly. It serves as the "Little Rock" for those other counties. It could almost serve as a metro of its on.

Only 30% of people from Faulkner County commute to LR to work...I'm sure a lot of people in the counties surrounding Conway Commute to Faulkner County to work.