Everything Conway

This will give Conway approximately $2.8 million in state turnback funds between now and the 2010 Census. Conway spent $600,000 to do this one, but it's still getting a net gain of $2.2 million. I wonder if Conway will earmark the money for specific plans, or just throw it into a general fund.

I wonder what it would take for Little Rock's MSA to become known as Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway. Conway seems to be quickly becoming a more independent city. I know that an MSA can't have more than three cities in the name, which may explain why NWA's MSA is doesn't include Bentonville in the name.

One other issue that might be conceivable is that Conway could get its own MSA separate from LR in 2010 (I believe that this was mentioned by Jim McKenzie, executive director of Metroplan). I don't think this would be beneficial at all to the aggregate impact and marketing of Central Arkansas by further fragmentation of what is currently a quite sizable metro area (in fact, LR is already quite small in population relative to the overall size of the MSA, which is evidence of NLR and Sherwood being separate municipalities, though arguably they shouldn't be).

I don't think this is likely due to the relative contrast in size between LR and Conway, but it did happen to Raleigh/Durham in the 2000 Census, splitting what was once a 1.4M MSA into two separate MSA's much smaller, and much further down the list! I would maintain that this did not benefit those two cities any way whatsoever.

I've often wondered if Conway would ever split off into its own MSA...but I really don't think it would happen. It is closely tied to Little Rock, especially the counties being contiguous. I think it should stay part of the LR MSA so that we can keep growing...that would be about 100,000 people gone from the LR MSA. It is possible, since only about 30% if Faulkner County commutes to LR. Usually, for a county to be part of an MSA if it's not contigous with the central county, 50% has to commute...but since it's contiguous, that doesn't matter. But they may use that to determine it can be it's own MSA since only 30% commute out. On the other hand, if Conway were to become its own MSA, then along with Faulkner County, a few other counties may be added to Conway's MSA like Conway County and Van Buren County. Then we would have the Little Rock - Conway CMSA that would have a higher population. Not sure which would be for the best.

I think being part of LR's MSA and being so close to LIT is part of Conway's lure for relocations, billing itself as a separate entity would make it harder to bring in new businesses IMO.

BTW, is there any development in America that doesn't end in Town(e) Center?

Yeah tell me about it. When did we start changing the official spelling of our words? :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Village at Hendrix is being planned as a new urbanist development adjacent to the Hendrix College campus with "shops, restaurants, a cinema, a grocery, a pharmacy and perhaps a hotel or inn to meet the needs of students". It will include loft-style apartments and be a multi-phase development.

Very cool and progressive for Conway if it goes as desired.

Academic%20Village%201.jpg

Adcademic%20Vilage%202.jpg

The Village at Hendrix is being planned as a new urbanist development adjacent to the Hendrix College campus with "shops, restaurants, a cinema, a grocery, a pharmacy and perhaps a hotel or inn to meet the needs of students". It will include loft-style apartments and be a multi-phase development.

Very cool and progressive for Conway if it goes as desired.

Academic%20Village%201.jpg

Adcademic%20Vilage%202.jpg

The Village at Hendrix ground-breaking is to be in the Spring of 2007 for the first neighborhood. The following elements are in the plans for this neighborhood:

68 single family detached houses

23 townhouses and live/work homes

75 apartments

69,683 square-feet of retail/office space

0430towerz2cc.jpg

0430cornerstorez2yz.jpg

0430highwayz0kf.jpg

hendrix03residenceslg0lm.jpg

hendrix04businesseslg0lz.jpg

The Village will be developed in five phases during the next ten years. Plans also include a charter school for the Village.

Edited by skirby

• 2 weeks later...

From the sound of it, it's near I-40, because it said it was going to be west of Conway Commons. Not much is known yet. But, they were talking about them a while back locating out in West Conway. So, who knows. We'll know more soon.

That's great news!!

Faulkner Co. was the one county I was waiting for to get a Best Buy, ever since we in Benton County found out we were getting one as well.

What's so great about Best Buy. It took me 6 weeks to get a computer replaced by them when mine went bad. Also, a total of 6 trips of dropping it off and picking it up. They would tell me it was fixed and I would make them turn it on and it was never fixed. So they would ship it off again.They do not do in store service work. It is sent off. The Geek Squad is the Dope Squad.

What's so great about Best Buy. It took me 6 weeks to get a computer replaced by them when mine went bad. Also, a total of 6 trips of dropping it off and picking it up. They would tell me it was fixed and I would make them turn it on and it was never fixed. So they would ship it off again.They do not do in store service work. It is sent off. The Geek Squad is the Dope Squad.

Suggestion: Buy an Apple. I've owned them for 15 years, and have yet to have to have one serviced or repaired. Oh, and I haven't crashed a machine in 3 years. :D

Suggestion: Buy an Apple. I've owned them for 15 years, and have yet to have to have one serviced or repaired. Oh, and I haven't crashed a machine in 3 years. :D

I've gone with Mac and IBM-compatibles (currently have a Dell) and I agree, I prefer the former. They are a bit pricier but much smoother-running with almost no glitches and as a bonus practically no chance of viruses or worms. I'm just biding my time to get a new Mac.

• 2 months later...

It looks like Conway is getting a Furniture Row off Amity Rd.

I just moved from Conway to Little Rock, to be closer to work. It's really interesting to hear of all the developments that will happen over the next few years. I would not rule out moving back to Conway to start a family one day.