Everything Conway

UCA is in the negotiation stages to purchase the Papa John's building located at 242 Donaghey Ave. The university owns the rest of the property on this block. The plans are to develop the Donaghey Corridor which would include building a four story building at the Papa John's location.  The ground level would include retail and commercial with the upper floors used for student housing. 

• 1 month later...

Long term, no doubt. But it's being phased such that the widening starts in Conway, then will narrow to 4 lanes before widening to six lanes again as you approach LR. That "merge" area is going to be a (temporary) nightmare.

The first section from Conway to Mayflower is now open. The work between Mayflower and Morgan should  be finished this fall.

The first section from Conway to Mayflower is now open. The work between Mayflower and Morgan should  be finished this fall.

So is the project to fill the gap between Morgan and I-430 imminent, or is that part of the new Highway Bond Issue capital projects that was approve a year (or two?) ago?

So is the project to fill the gap between Morgan and I-430 imminent, or is that part of the new Highway Bond Issue capital projects that was approve a year (or two?) ago?

I don't know but in March the Highway Department held a public meeting on the last leg of the project plus improvements to the l-430/l-40 interchange. Estimated start date is late 2014 with completion date for 2016.

Edited by skirby

Any new projects

Projects in Conway:

The new airport will open this summer allowing work to start on Central Landing. Meanwhile Lewis Crossing is going through the permitting  process.  New design standards for Oak Street between Harkrider and I-40 will be used for a CVS and Med Express to be constructed just east of Harkrider. UCA continues to purchase property for their planned redevelopment of the Donaghey Corridor Project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tenants for Central Landing have been announced. There will be a Dillard's at 126,000 sq.ft. along with 36 other retail stores and one of my favorites will be a Five Guys.  Also, a hotel, bowling alley and 8 additional out parcels for development.

Dillards?  Really?  Interesting...Conway's growth (certainly likely to pass 70,000 by 2020 - if not more) certainly could justify a store.  I hope it doesn't hurt the LR locations too much, but I suppose another location as the metro continues to grow (±800,000 by 2020) is also justified.

Tenants for Central Landing have been announced. There will be a Dillard's at 126,000 sq.ft. along with 36 other retail stores and one of my favorites will be a Five Guys.  Also, a hotel, bowling alley and 8 additional out parcels for development.

Here is a the announced list so far:

Books-A-Million 12,000 SF

Express 6,080 SF

GNC 1,856 SF

Claire's 1,379 SF

American Eagle 6,797 SF

Versona 5,952 SF

Limited 4,512 SF

Pac Sun 2,976 SF

"Shoes" 5,300 SF

Moe's Southwest Grill 2,760 SF

Newk's 4,464 SF

Zoe's 2,800 SF

Five Guys 3,780 SF

Genghis Grill 4,592 SF

Journeys 2,030 SF

Hot Topic 1,610 SF

"Retail" 1,400 SF

Buckle 4,924 SF

Ann Taylor Loft 4,700 SF

White House Black Market 4,050 SF

Apricot Lane 2,250 SF

Chico 3,240 SF

Victoria's Secret 6,548 SF

Management office 2,496 SF

Francesca's 1,352 SF

Sunglass Hut 1,352 SF

Foot Locker 3,400 SF

Forever 21 6,000 SF

LensCrafters 4,480 SF

Men's Wearhouse 4,480 SF

Children's Place 3,430 SF

Justice for Girls 4,410 SF

Carter's 4,048 SF

Crazy 8 2,112 SF

Portrait Innovations 2,024 SF

Lane Bryant 4,988 SF

Kay Jewelers 2,152 SF

Total shops/office gross leasable area: 142,724 SF 

Department store: 

Dillard's 126,000 SF

Here is a the announced list so far:

Books-A-Million 12,000 SF

Express 6,080 SF

GNC 1,856 SF

Claire's 1,379 SF

American Eagle 6,797 SF

Versona 5,952 SF

Limited 4,512 SF

Pac Sun 2,976 SF

"Shoes" 5,300 SF

Moe's Southwest Grill 2,760 SF

Newk's 4,464 SF

Zoe's 2,800 SF

Five Guys 3,780 SF

Genghis Grill 4,592 SF

Journeys 2,030 SF

Hot Topic 1,610 SF

"Retail" 1,400 SF

Buckle 4,924 SF

Ann Taylor Loft 4,700 SF

White House Black Market 4,050 SF

Apricot Lane 2,250 SF

Chico 3,240 SF

Victoria's Secret 6,548 SF

Management office 2,496 SF

Francesca's 1,352 SF

Sunglass Hut 1,352 SF

Foot Locker 3,400 SF

Forever 21 6,000 SF

LensCrafters 4,480 SF

Men's Wearhouse 4,480 SF

Children's Place 3,430 SF

Justice for Girls 4,410 SF

Carter's 4,048 SF

Crazy 8 2,112 SF

Portrait Innovations 2,024 SF

Lane Bryant 4,988 SF

Kay Jewelers 2,152 SF

Total shops/office gross leasable area: 142,724 SF 

Department store: 

Dillard's 126,000 SF

After (strangely?) closing their McCain Mall location, leaving only ONE store in a market this size, I'm surprised Gap isn't on this tenant list.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the listed retail tenants for Central Landing plans also call for 200 single-family homes and up to 700 apartments. They are talking about developing something like Hendrix Village which has been very successful with very few home sites left.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday the voters in Conway approved a road tax rededication  with two of the three projects related to Central Landing. These will include a four-lane boulevard connecting the project to Oak Street and the other is an overpass over I-40 connecting Conway Commons and Central Landing. The final project will connect the now under construction south Interchange on I-40 and Sturgis Road,

The new airport opened last week so construction can start soon on Central Landing.

I-40 is now three lanes between I-40/65 and the bean field south of Mayflower with construction from there to Morgan finishing up. 

• 2 weeks later...

A Tulsa investor has purchased the former Superior Chevrolet location on East Oak. At the first of the year this property was to be developed into a Chedder"s and other uses but these plans were withdrawn. Plans for the 6.2 acre site have to been released but Arkansas Business reports that a mixed use development could include restaurants, retail and a hotel.

Plans have been announced for the vacant building on Oak across from Rogers Plaza. Part of the building will be turned into a Deluxe Burger and the other part will become an upscale bar/lounge. Also, something should be happening to the Arvest Bank branch on Oak. They want to open a temporary branch behind the operating branch. Will they remodel or build a new building?  

• 2 months later...

I'll have to say, I've been more than impressed with the speed in which they've been able to build out the 6-lane widening between Conway and Morgan (and soon to be LR).

It helps that back in the mid/late 90s, they repaved that section of I-40. When they did that, they rebuilt and widened the bridges and overpasses which made it very easy for them now to add the extra lane.  Pays to plan ahead.

It helps that back in the mid/late 90s, they repaved that section of I-40. When they did that, they rebuilt and widened the bridges and overpasses which made it very easy for them now to add the extra lane.  Pays to plan ahead.

Yes!  I had observed that even back than and should have pointed that out.  Very insightful planning at the time...

• 2 weeks later...

UCA is in the negotiation stages to purchase the Papa John's building located at 242 Donaghey Ave. The university owns the rest of the property on this block. The plans are to develop the Donaghey Corridor which would include building a four story building at the Papa John's location.  The ground level would include retail and commercial with the upper floors used for student housing. 

The negotiations are not going very well and UCA has given Papa John's until Jan. 9th, 2015 to accept or eminent domain proceedings will commence . Papa John's has until March 15, 2015 to vacate so construction can start.

• 2 weeks later...

2015 should be a very busy year for development in Conway. The Arvest Bank branch on Oak has been demolished and construction on their new building should start soon. Just down the street construction is scheduled to start in March on a CVS. Also, in March construction is scheduled for Donaghey Hall, mixed use building fronting UCA. Sometime during the year the old airport will close and construction should start on Central Landing. Also, look for work to start on Lewis Crossing.

Projects to open this year include the Greek Village at UCA and the McKennon mixed use buildings at Hendrix.  Also, construction will continue on the new Baptist Hospital.