Everything Conway

The 2000 census was 43,167. The 2004 census bureau estimate is 50,358...but the city utilities and city leaders say that number is way low. There isn't a more current estimate.

It'll be interesting to see what the 2005 official count is.

Edited by tim2462

The census count is in . Conway now has a population of 52,262. This is almost double the 1990 census.

This will give Conway approximately $2.8 million in state turnback funds between now and the 2010 Census. Conway spent $600,000 to do this one, but it's still getting a net gain of $2.2 million. I wonder if Conway will earmark the money for specific plans, or just throw it into a general fund.

I wonder what it would take for Little Rock's MSA to become known as Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway. Conway seems to be quickly becoming a more independent city. I know that an MSA can't have more than three cities in the name, which may explain why NWA's MSA is doesn't include Bentonville in the name.

This will give Conway approximately $2.8 million in state turnback funds between now and the 2010 Census. Conway spent $600,000 to do this one, but it's still getting a net gain of $2.2 million. I wonder if Conway will earmark the money for specific plans, or just throw it into a general fund.

I wonder what it would take for Little Rock's MSA to become known as Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway. Conway seems to be quickly becoming a more independent city. I know that an MSA can't have more than three cities in the name, which may explain why NWA's MSA is doesn't include Bentonville in the name.

Yeah I don't think Bentonville will be added no matter how large they get. Well guess I should rephrase that. If they happen to outgrow one of the cities then I guess they'd then replace the lowest population city. But I don't think that's going to happen, at least not anytime soon. I think Fayetteville and Rogers/Bentonville are growing more independant of each other. I even think the distance might be a bit similar. The biggest difference is that there is dead space between Conway and Little Rock/North Little Rock.

Yeah I don't think Bentonville will be added no matter how large they get. Well guess I should rephrase that. If they happen to outgrow one of the cities then I guess they'd then replace the lowest population city. But I don't think that's going to happen, at least not anytime soon. I think Fayetteville and Rogers/Bentonville are growing more independant of each other. I even think the distance might be a bit similar. The biggest difference is that there is dead space between Conway and Little Rock/North Little Rock.

It's tough to make that comparison. Conway's more independent because of that gap and unless Mayflower takes off in development sometime soon that will persist. The location of Camp Robinson knocks out most of the land East of I-40 that could be developed en route to Conway from NLR. Still, Conway's definitively a suburb and is a much smaller satellite of LR whereas in NWA it's hard to say Fayetteville's the center and Rogers isn't. It's a hard place to compare to any metro.

Hendrix is building a new $22.5 million gymnasium complex to replace Grove Gymnasium. built in 1961. This will help continue to bring more buildings into campus into one style as the old gymnasium was one that glaringly stood out as 60s architecture while the newer ones fit in with the early 1900s red-brick structures.

Elevation9-15-05.gif

Does anybody know anything about the development to be announced Thursday by the Conway Downtown Partnership? There is talk about a mixed use development sometime in the future.

What happened with the proposal a couple of years ago to build a 12-story mixed-use building for the HQs of an insurance co based in Conway? I remember they flirted hard with downtown LR before deciding to stay in Conway. I wonder if this is the same project.

What happened with the proposal a couple of years ago to build a 12-story mixed-use building for the HQs of an insurance co based in Conway? I remember they flirted hard with downtown LR before deciding to stay in Conway. I wonder if this is the same project.

The insurance company wanted to stay in Conway if they developed more of an urban outlook. I haven't seen any more about thier plans.

KTHV had a segment on the announcement downtown, but I only caught the tail end of it, so I don't have all the details. It has something to do with EM Jeans, loft apartments, and a rooftop restaurant, if I heard all of it right. I though I saw a rendering of the building in the background of the man they were interviewing, and it looks to be about 3 floors. I'm sure I'll be able to get better information from the newspaper tomorrow.

I also noticed that KTHV had a segment the other day on the new interchange for Conway. Here's a link: KTHV Story

KTHV had a segment on the announcement downtown, but I only caught the tail end of it, so I don't have all the details. It has something to do with EM Jeans, loft apartments, and a rooftop restaurant, if I heard all of it right. I though I saw a rendering of the building in the background of the man they were interviewing, and it looks to be about 3 floors. I'm sure I'll be able to get better information from the newspaper tomorrow.

I also noticed that KTHV had a segment the other day on the new interchange for Conway. Here's a link: KTHV Story

I actually think downtown conway has great potential for mixed use redevelopment and infill. Its got a nice grid, its still got a small town feel and no significant crime issue to deal with (although as a side note, I was once robbed at gunpoint near Hendrix my one semester at UCA). There is getting to be a critical mass of money in Conway to support some higher end retail and enough college students to support a vibrant downtown scene.

If they ever make Conway wet, it could rival fayetteville for the college town feel....

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard that a new Seafood Chain Restaurant will be coming to Conway.

The restaurant Joey's Only Seafood. Ground has already been broken, but I'm not sure how big it will be.

This will be the first Joey's Only in the State, but locations in Little Rock, North Little Rock, Jacksonville, and Northwest Arkansas are to come as well, which has been confirmed by a company official.

Here's a website to the restaurant.

Joey's Only Seafood

New Plan, Cinemark to Build Theater at Conway Towne Center

By Arkansas Business staff

Arkansasbusiness.com Daily Report - 2/17/06 11:44:40 AM

New Plan Excel Realty Trust Inc. of New York announced Thursday an agreement with Cinemark USA Inc. of Plano, Texas, to build a 10-screen, stadium-seated theater at Conway Towne Center.

Cinemark, the nation