Everything Conway

I haven't heard anything on it in a while, but I do know it is being built by Nabholz Construction. They built the Barnes & Noble here in Rogers, so my guess would be a Barnes & Noble.

Conway is overdue for a B&N let alone a chain bookstore, the nearest is in Little Rock.

Especially with three colleges/universities with 13,500 students.

As a follow up to this, UCA is now the 3rd largest school in the state with a bullet. It has an enrollment of 11,375 students and grew 12.3% in enrollment over the last year to pass ASU and put it very close to UALR for the 2nd spot, something it should easily accomplish in a year. That enrollment growth is far ahead of any other school in the state.

KTHV 11 had a story tonight on the job growth in the Conway area. "Many find it hard to believe that Faulkner County's job market in 2005 outgrew that of Washington and Benton counties in northwestern Arkansas." At SEECO(gas drilling company) their spokeman said "We have openings for technical people, geologists, engineers, land men, accounting people, IT people" The company says it still needs to hire several hundred more workers. This is not the only company looking to hire workers in the Conway area..

KTHV 11 had a story tonight on the job growth in the Conway area. "Many find it hard to believe that Faulkner County's job market in 2005 outgrew that of Washington and Benton counties in northwestern Arkansas." At SEECO(gas drilling company) their spokeman said "We have openings for technical people, geologists, engineers, land men, accounting people, IT people" The company says it still needs to hire several hundred more workers. This is not the only company looking to hire workers in the Conway area..

I find that a bit surprising as well. A lot of Conway residents commute, as you can tell whenever you have the misfortune of being on I-40 between Conway and NLR at 5 PM or 8 AM.

Conway has a pretty educated workforce with lots of jobs at Acxiom and in banking and insurance. It has kind of converted away from a manufacturing economy centered on Ward bus, Maybelline, and Carrier to more of an information-based economy. Having three colleges surely helps with that.

It has a long way to go. I think Fayetteville is doing very well right now as well. Much of UCA's growth probably occurs at UALR and Ark Tech's expense.

UALR will not grow at the rate of UA and UCA because it is a commuter school. UALR is building a new dorm now, but still won't house the number of students that UA, UCA or ASU will unless they decide to change their mission.

UALR will not grow at the rate of UA and UCA because it is a commuter school. UALR is building a new dorm now, but still won't house the number of students that UA, UCA or ASU will unless they decide to change their mission.

UCA still has more commuters than students residing on-campus, though it is MUCH less a commuter school than UALR. Driving from LR to Conway between 8 and 9 AM you'll definitely be going against the traffic grain but you'll see more cars with UCA stickers than not. I think UCA is really tweaking its reputation and getting more and more Pulaski Co residents to commute up to Conway, particularly in the under 25 "traditional student" demographic. I think that UALR will always have a big advantage amongst older, nontraditional students working on second careers.

Both schools have their own strengths and weaknesses, though, such as teaching and physical/occupational therapy at UCA and business, law, and engineering at UALR.

UCA still has more commuters than students residing on-campus, though it is MUCH less a commuter school than UALR. Driving from LR to Conway between 8 and 9 AM you'll definitely be going against the traffic grain but you'll see more cars with UCA stickers than not. I think UCA is really tweaking its reputation and getting more and more Pulaski Co residents to commute up to Conway, particularly in the under 25 "traditional student" demographic. I think that UALR will always have a big advantage amongst older, nontraditional students working on second careers.

Both schools have their own strengths and weaknesses, though, such as teaching and physical/occupational therapy at UCA and business, law, and engineering at UALR.

Gotta disagree with you on one point. If students from Pulaski County are going to school at UCA, most are staying in Conway, at least during the week and not driving back and forth everyday, with the exception of those who are pursuing a Master's Degree that may not be offered at UALR. A lot of people in Pulaski County now are going to Pulaski Tech for the first two years and then transferring to UALR, UCA and other nearby schools.

Gotta disagree with you on one point. If students from Pulaski County are going to school at UCA, most are staying in Conway, at least during the week and not driving back and forth everyday, with the exception of those who are pursuing a Master's Degree that may not be offered at UALR. A lot of people in Pulaski County now are going to Pulaski Tech for the first two years and then transferring to UALR, UCA and other nearby schools.

I'm young enough to know this one. I have too many friends who have done it or are doing it, including multiple family members in the Sherwood/Cabot area. Plus, as I said - make the drive. You'll be amazed.

I'm young enough to know this one. I have too many friends who have done it or are doing it, including multiple family members in the Sherwood/Cabot area. Plus, as I said - make the drive. You'll be amazed.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I know several people who are going to UCA from Little Rock who do not commute. And as i said in my last reponse, they are staying in Conway, at least during the week and not driving back and forth every day.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I know several people who are going to UCA from Little Rock who do not commute. And as i said in my last reponse, they are staying in Conway, at least during the week and not driving back and forth every day.

No doubt. I went to Hendrix and that's where (almost) all of the attractive girls in Conway were. There are a lot of people at UCA on-campus compared to UALR. I just think that increasingly people are willing to drive up there and commute as well. I don't think it's half the student body but it's a signfiicant number. I'm sure the statistics are available somewhere, it would be interesting to see them.

In any case, UCA is really whipping up enrollment and increasing ACT scores for entering students as well. Lu Hardin knows what he's doing.

Edited by Aporkalypse

No doubt. I went to Hendrix and that's where (almost) all of the attractive girls in Conway were. There are a lot of people at UCA on-campus compared to UALR. I just think that increasingly people are willing to drive up there and commute as well. I don't think it's half the student body but it's a signfiicant number. I'm sure the statistics are available somewhere, it would be interesting to see them.

In any case, UCA is really whipping up enrollment and increasing ACT scores for entering students as well. Lu Hardin knows what he's doing.

I went to Hendrix too, but it was probably before you were there.

UCA has grown a lot and it doesn't look like the growth is going to slow down soon. The only thing that may slow it down is if UCA couldn't keep up with the infrastructure. In ten years it may rival the U of A's enrollment.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The mayor of Conway recently gave the state of the city address. He talked about all of the new development in 2006, with a big emphasis on downtown. Conway's downtown is becoming quite a place to be. He also talked about the huge success of the Conway Commons shopping center. He went on to say that in 2007, another huge shopping center would be announced. He said Conway is drawing shoppers from all directions, and even from the Little Rock area. He also promised that 2007 will bring more restaurants, with private club status, so they can serve alcohol. I haven't seen the entire address, but those are some key things from it.

In reference to how many students live on campus, UCA is pursuing a strategy that I think is very different from the UA. UCA is buying up many properties around the campus to provide "apartment-style" living. Case in point: the Bear Village, south of UCA, which was originally a Lindsey development but was purchased just prior to opening by UCA. There are probably 200 apartments out there, with room for intended expansion. Each apartment holds 4 students. There's also a convenience station and a shuttle route. Many of the older, small complexs around UCA now belong to them as well. Stadium Park, formerly Mansford Apts., was their first major purchase and underwent a major rennovation.

In contrast, UA is still pursuing the traditional dorm, albeit with a tendancy to build suites instead of simple dorm rooms. The current plan is that UA will replace all of its existing dorms by 2012, with a mix of suite-style and traditional single dorm rooms. The apartment style living option has been left to the many developers like Sweetser & Lindsey to handle.

UCA also maintains a very nice married-student development in downtown Conway, something UA has abandoned.

So, I think these two very different options for living spaces will definitely drive the competition between the 2 schools. Also, in the world of athletics, as most people know UCA is moving to Division I-AA, putting them in the same league as UAPB & ASU (but not the same conference). This past year, UCA beat all the opponents they played from their inteneded new conference, and had they been eligible for post-season play The Bears probably would have been in the conference playoffs. Football is really on the up-and-up @ UCA. Of course, the Razorbacks had a pretty good year as well, so the competition between athletics remains fierce. UA still has far-and-away the nicest athletic facilities.

I don't think UCA will ever pass UA unless UCA begins to get a lot of out-of-state students. There just aren't enough college students in Arkansas alone to make UCA's numbers go up that dramatically. Plus, they still have to contend with many traditional rivals (ATU, Henderson, UALR) to get students. UA tends to be out on its own, not truly competeing with other in-state schools (except maybe ASU, as a matter of loyalty) and the UA gets a high number of students from OK and TX.

One thing that might help UCA would be if they take in another major school, like ATU, or if they annex several smaller schools to create a satellite campus system. The UA system is dominant, but with 42 2-year schools in Arkansas, some of them are bound to be attracted to the prospect of attaching themselves to an up-and-coming powerhouse like UCA.

The competition should be fun to watch. As an alumn of both UCA & UA, I don't know who to root for.

Edited by Arkansas Student

Don't forget to take into account UA desgination as a research university. UCA was cut from the mold as a teaching and undergraduate college. When looking at so many prominent universities they are driven to the top by research activity. UCA has a very long way to go in that respect. I think that will be a key force in UA maintaining its hegemony over Arkansas higher education.

ASU is also D-1 like Arkansas. Its just the Sunbelt is really a glorified I-AA conference.

In reference to how many students live on campus, UCA is pursuing a strategy that I think is very different from the UA. UCA is buying up many properties around the campus to provide "apartment-style" living. Case in point: the Bear Village, south of UCA, which was originally a Lindsey development but was purchased just prior to opening by UCA. There are probably 200 apartments out there, with room for intended expansion. Each apartment holds 4 students. There's also a convenience station and a shuttle route. Many of the older, small complexs around UCA now belong to them as well. Stadium Park, formerly Mansford Apts., was their first major purchase and underwent a major rennovation.

In contrast, UA is still pursuing the traditional dorm, albeit with a tendancy to build suites instead of simple dorm rooms. The current plan is that UA will replace all of its existing dorms by 2012, with a mix of suite-style and traditional single dorm rooms. The apartment style living option has been left to the many developers like Sweetser & Lindsey to handle.

UCA also maintains a very nice married-student development in downtown Conway, something UA has abandoned.

So, I think these two very different options for living spaces will definitely drive the competition between the 2 schools. Also, in the world of athletics, as most people know UCA is moving to Division I-AA, putting them in the same league as UAPB & ASU (but not the same conference). This past year, UCA beat all the opponents they played from their inteneded new conference, and had they been eligible for post-season play The Bears probably would have been in the conference playoffs. Football is really on the up-and-up @ UCA. Of course, the Razorbacks had a pretty good year as well, so the competition between athletics remains fierce. UA still has far-and-away the nicest athletic facilities.

I don't think UCA will ever pass UA unless UCA begins to get a lot of out-of-state students. There just aren't enough college students in Arkansas alone to make UCA's numbers go up that dramatically. Plus, they still have to contend with many traditional rivals (ATU, Henderson, UALR) to get students. UA tends to be out on its own, not truly competeing with other in-state schools (except maybe ASU, as a matter of loyalty) and the UA gets a high number of students from OK and TX.

One thing that might help UCA would be if they take in another major school, like ATU, or if they annex several smaller schools to create a satellite campus system. The UA system is dominant, but with 42 2-year schools in Arkansas, some of them are bound to be attracted to the prospect of attaching themselves to an up-and-coming powerhouse like UCA.

The competition should be fun to watch. As an alumn of both UCA & UA, I don't know who to root for.

There was some talk about UCA going after Pulaski Tech but I don't think UALR would go for such an arrangement.

Don't forget to take into account UA desgination as a research university. UCA was cut from the mold as a teaching and undergraduate college. When looking at so many prominent universities they are driven to the top by research activity. UCA has a very long way to go in that respect. I think that will be a key force in UA maintaining its hegemony over Arkansas higher education.

ASU is also D-1 like Arkansas. Its just the Sunbelt is really a glorified I-AA conference.

Sorry, I wasn't too sure what ASU's designation was and I was too lazy to look it up. :thumbsup: Sunbelt is kinda weak, no?

And you're right: I totally forgot to factor in UA's research designation/potential. I guess that's because I come from a predominantly liberal arts background, so I don't think of 'research' in the way people from an engineering, biological, chemical, mathematical, etc. background do. You don't need a lot of unique/custome/high-tech facilities to do research in the liberal arts :D I'm not knocking what the other disciplines do, though. In fact, I'm usually amazed by it.

Speaking of researching, I'm excitied that the UA/rest of Arkansas will soon be on the high speed fiber opitc research network that other places have.