Everything Conway

I went to Hendrix. I lived in Clifton Street Apartments, as well as a house on Hwy 60 just west of Charles Morgan's old Conway residence. I also drove a fork lift for Linn's Truck Salvage and worked at Acxiom.

Compared to NYC Conway IS the sticks. You recall the manure that got dumped because of gay pride parade. You may need to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist if you see Conway's downtown as "moderate-sized." I could throw a frisbee over the buildings from one end of downtown to the other.

Conway's liquor laws = freak'n joke.

Anything Hendrix wants to do they can do... that college is the best thing in higher ed that Arkansas has going for it.

The NYT article made it sound as if they were creating a downtown where there was none at all and it referred to the area as "rural". That's not exactly true. It has a downtown, though somewhat abandoned, that is much larger than the proposed development. I would classify Conway as suburban more than rural.

The NYT article made it sound as if they were creating a downtown where there was none at all and it referred to the area as "rural". That's not exactly true. It has a downtown, though somewhat abandoned, that is much larger than the proposed development. I would classify Conway as suburban more than rural.

Ha, true, but from a Manhattan perspective, its rural...you gotta admit.

I agree that it is not rural. By census definition, Conway is probably urban. Is Conway's population greater than 50K (not including Greenbriar)?

I still can't take issue with someone describing Conway as in the sticks. There are scare artifacts for refuting it.

I agree that it is not rural. By census definition, Conway is probably urban. Is Conway's population greater than 50K (not including Greenbriar)?

I still can't take issue with someone describing Conway as in the sticks. There are scare artifacts for refuting it.

About 55,000 last I checked.

Crazy, it was 23,000 when I started college in 1993.

Where was UCA, Fayetteville, UALR and Lyon College 20 years ago? Not on the national radar. Hendrix has been on the national spot light since the 80s.

What does that have to do with anything? Absolutely nothing. Hendrix is an asset to the state, no doubt, but I completely disagree that it's the "best thing in the state that higher ed has going for it."

Hendrix is a much different type of institution than the UofA. Making that kind of statement is like saying cars are the best thing going for transportation in Arkansas. Just like there are advantages to different types of transport there are advantages in different types of educational institutions. For being a high quality four year liberal arts school Hendrix is great, for being an engine that pulls in millions in research dollars its useless. If you wanted to make a statement that Hendrix is the best thing going in 4-year liberal arts school in Arkansas, I'd agree.

Hendrix is a much different type of institution than the UofA. Making that kind of statement is like saying cars are the best thing going for transportation in Arkansas. Just like there are advantages to different types of transport there are advantages in different types of educational institutions. For being a high quality four year liberal arts school Hendrix is great, for being an engine that pulls in millions in research dollars its useless. If you wanted to make a statement that Hendrix is the best thing going in 4-year liberal arts school in Arkansas, I'd agree.

Exactly.

I'm a Hendrix alum and I think you pretty well nailed it.

If I had it to do all over again I would've gone to the UA. I thought Hendrix would help me get into medical school and it did but I would've been able to do so regardless of where I'd gone. I missed a lot of the cultural opportunities and other things that a large flagship state university has to offer.

Most places have a Hendrix. Tennessee has Rhodes and Sewanee, Texas has Trinity and Austin College, Mississippi has Millsaps, Kentucky has Centre, etc.

It's a quality liberal arts school but it's not any better than these schools and doesn't have a big out of state reputation. Most people I've met from bordering states haven't heard of it.

I'd like to see Hendrix grow to an enrollment more like Rhodes, which would mean tripling in size. I think it would have an impact on the region as some of the bright out of staters would choose to stick around.

I'm a Hendrix alum and I think you pretty well nailed it.

If I had it to do all over again I would've gone to the UA. I thought Hendrix would help me get into medical school and it did but I would've been able to do so regardless of where I'd gone. I missed a lot of the cultural opportunities and other things that a large flagship state university has to offer.

Most places have a Hendrix. Tennessee has Rhodes and Sewanee, Texas has Trinity and Austin College, Mississippi has Millsaps, Kentucky has Centre, etc.

It's a quality liberal arts school but it's not any better than these schools and doesn't have a big out of state reputation. Most people I've met from bordering states haven't heard of it.

I'd like to see Hendrix grow to an enrollment more like Rhodes, which would mean tripling in size. I think it would have an impact on the region as some of the bright out of staters would choose to stick around.

As a Hendrix alum, I agree with you as well. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my time there but if I had to do it over again I would have went to a bigger state (not necessarily in Arkansas) school because like you I feel that I missed out on many cultural oppurtunites and student life that you can only get at a bigger school.

Hendrix does pull many students from outside of the state for a school its size, but if Hendrix wants to make a bigger impact on central Arkansas, like you, I think it will have to grow. Though we know that is not in the plans.

• 2 weeks later...

As a Hendrix alum, I agree with you as well. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my time there but if I had to do it over again I would have went to a bigger state (not necessarily in Arkansas) school because like you I feel that I missed out on many cultural oppurtunites and student life that you can only get at a bigger school.

Hendrix does pull many students from outside of the state for a school its size, but if Hendrix wants to make a bigger impact on central Arkansas, like you, I think it will have to grow. Though we know that is not in the plans.

Actually Hendrix is in the process of growing significantly. I believe I read in a press release somewhere they are wanting to top out at 1500 students, which is 500 more than there is currently. Last years freshman class was 400 kids which was something like a 40% increase from the previous year. Most liberal arts colleges hover around the 1500-2000 mark, any bigger than that and the advantages of going to a liberal arts college diminish. Right now it's roughly 50/50 for instate/outofstate, but I'm betting in the coming decades a much bigger majority of these kids will be coming from out of state. Adding the lacrosse team has aided significantly in recruiting student athletes from the West Coast and North East.

Edited by astrife

Actually Hendrix is in the process of growing significantly. I believe I read in a press release somewhere they are wanting to top out at 1500 students, which is 500 more than there is currently. Last years freshman class was 400 kids which was something like a 40% increase from the previous year. Most liberal arts colleges hover around the 1500-2000 mark, any bigger than that and the advantages of going to a liberal arts college diminish. Right now it's roughly 50/50 for instate/outofstate, but I'm betting in the coming decades a much bigger majority of these kids will be coming from out of state. Adding the lacrosse team has aided significantly in recruiting student athletes from the West Coast and North East.

STUDENT BODY ENROLLMENT

1,094 students

58% from Arkansas

42% from other 35 states and 10 foreign countries

Source: http://www.hendrix.edu/abouthendrix/about....&ns1_mid=17

STUDENT BODY ENROLLMENT

1,094 students

58% from Arkansas

42% from other 35 states and 10 foreign countries

Source: http://www.hendrix.edu/abouthendrix/about....&ns1_mid=17

The enrollment figure of 1500 is longterm. I think they said it will be there probably by 2013, and I said 50/50 instate/outofstate because it goes back and forth from year to year. I believe two years ago the majority of the student body was from out of state, but it flip flopped back again with the increased freshman class.

I think it was around 1050 when I started in 1993.

The Hendrix President sent out an e-mail today saying that the target enrollment for the future is 1300 (I was a little off). And BIG NEWS: A committee is being formed to analyze the prospects for adding a FOOTBALL team back to the Hendrix Athletics department in the coming years.

The Hendrix President sent out an e-mail today saying that the target enrollment for the future is 1300 (I was a little off). And BIG NEWS: A committee is being formed to analyze the prospects for adding a FOOTBALL team back to the Hendrix Athletics department in the coming years.

I am sure the committee will be composed of people smart enough to figure out that the prospects for adding a FOOTBALL team back is low and not a worthwhile pursuit. Below is a list of Hendrix's athletic offerings. I could see adding rowing and sailing to trend more ivy league.

Okay... I don't know anything. I just checked-out the athletic offerings for Rhodes and they already have a football team. Wow! Who'd a thought? At least Hendrix would have someone to play.

Baseball

Softball

Men's Golf

Women's Golf

Men's Tennis

Women's Tennis

Men's Track and Field

Women's Track and Field

Men's Cross Country

Women's Cross Country

Men's Soccer

Women's Soccer

Volleyball

Men's Basketball

Women's Basketball

Men's Swimming

Women's Swimming

Lacrosse

Field Hockey

Cheerleading

Dance Team

'

That's not a big surprise. Seven of the eleven SCAC schools have football, including the better academic schools - Trinity, Rhodes, and Sewanee.

I wonder where the stadium will go.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...