Everything Conway

• 2 months later...

I pass through Conway on the way to see my parents. Is the Taco Bueno there going in around Conway Commons, or elsewhere in town?

Nope, it is going in at the corner of S. German Lane and HW 286 near the bus factory and Dollar General. At least that was where the coming soon sign was last time I was in town.

Building framework is now up for the Taco Bueno. There will be access to decent traffic in that location, but I can't help but think a higher profile spot closer to UCA or the Greenbrier exit would have been better. I really would have predicted a more suburban setting, like somewhere along Salem Road or Hogan Lane. Then again, such spots might have been seen as too costly.

I used to spend a lot of time in Conway, but haven't in quite some time. Last time I was there they were really focusing on trying to revamp their downtown.

How is that going? Any new developments (planned or otherwise)?

The big development is the Village at Hendrix, a few blocks from downtown.

Any of our UP local folks go to Hendrix's final home lacrosse game of the year besides me??? Excellent matchup and the Warriors came away with their 3rd win of the season. LOTS of people were there and it looks highly likely Coach Lichtig will get his wish to see local kids playing Lax here in Central Arkansas very soon.

• 2 months later...

I wonder how much of that growth is Little Rock commuters and how much of it is related to job growth in Conway.

Until recently I think it was mostly commuters as Acxiom moved jobs from Conway to LR and some old manufacturing jobs in Conway were lost. Being the Fayetteville Shale gas play's Arkansas HQs along with a significant uptick in retail jobs and now HP means a significant shift to having more jobs in Conway proper.

I used to spend a lot of time in Conway, but haven't in quite some time. Last time I was there they were really focusing on trying to revamp their downtown.

How is that going? Any new developments (planned or otherwise)?

I think they've made some real strides in the physical appearance and infrastructure of downtown Conway in just this past year, but I'm not sure what sort of dividends are being paid in terms of people being downtown. I know Mike's Place and Michelangelo's continue to fare well (along with Conway's only bar that can be viewed from the street).

The Village at Hendrix is the big thing, but right now it's mostly shuffling a lot of dirt around. Still a long way to go before there is anything to really see. Should be impressive when finished though.

Oak Street to I-40 needs help bad, though. It's like you drove down Sunset in Springdale, but more run down even :P The areas closest to the intersection of Oak and Harkrider look pretty rough still.

Edited by Arkansas Student

• 3 weeks later...

Conway to get two new restaurants on Main Street in the old Steel Chevrolet building. The restaurants will include Old Chicago and a Doe's Eat Place. It will be the first Old Chicago location in Arkansas.

Wow. Conway to get a 'first in the state' restaurant is good news. I visited the city recently for a little shopping and it occurred to me that Conway still lacks a major bookstore. I believe a Barnes & Noble would do well there considering it's a college town.

• 2 months later...

"Representatives of LSC Transportation Consultants will be at the University of Central Arkansas

Tuesday, September 30 for an informational display. They will have

handouts and comment sheets regarding a possible mass transit system

for Conway."

Apparently, they had three different plans on display. I haven't been able to find any information online. Does anyone know anything about this?

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently there was a shooting at UCA last night. Two people dead and one injured. I imagine more info will come out later in the day.

The news is getting a lot of national media attention. That is interesting because when the shooting (first ever) occurred on the UALR campus last year, it received no national media coverage. The administration anticipated a flood of press coverage, but it never materialized. As a byproduct of the event, UALR implemented an emergency notification system.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...