Memphis Train Service

northernbizzkit1

Ok, guys...Memphis light rail is heading down the track (yes, that glorious pun was intended)...where do we think it's heading? Obviously the downtown-airport is gonna go, but where after this. For eastbound, where will the stations/tracks go? as far as wide appeal without a scary ride, I could see the trains going down Poplar or something along the lines of that...or, they could run through the middle of I-240/Bill Morris Parkway to Collierville and then have a subway running under G'town and C'ville. I personally think this is the best option just because there really is no room left in Germantown to construct a train station. For South Bound, they say Southaven, but I've also heard Tunica mentioned. If the Tunica airport opened, you could see light rail trains run as far south as that...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I think the LRT to the airport is a go, particularly since the city already spent something on the order of $30 million getting the Madison streetcar line LRT-ready.

There'll never be a subway under Germantown or Collierville--the cost would be prohibitive. Plus, as the LRT line to the east is supposed to follow the RR right of way, I would imagine that there is some areas where stations could be placed.

LRT lines in purple:

32570458.jpg

I remember seeing a small building (like 2 phone booths size) next to the Three Oaks Grill in Germantown next to the rails that I always thought was a replica of an old station. I'm not to familiar of all the areas the donated CSX goes through but I think it starts at near Polar and Union goes along Sam Cooper, to Shelby Farms, and ends about 5000 feet southeast of Cordova High School. If they somehow get a rail and trail, they would definetly have to have a stop at Old Cordova, and Shelby Farms. I would also like to see one down Germantown Road connecting the Cordova CSX line and Germantown-Collierville line but that might be a traffic nightmare.

I think I heard that the owner of the railroad that goes from the U of M to Collierville denied the citys request to share the ROW but I don't think it was from a reliable source. Do you all think a ferry down the Mississippi from Beale Street Landing to the Tunica Riverpark would be successful?

I remember seeing a small building (like 2 phone booths size) next to the Three Oaks Grill in Germantown next to the rails that I always thought was a replica of an old station. I'm not to familiar of all the areas the donated CSX goes through but I think it starts at near Polar and Union goes along Sam Cooper, to Shelby Farms, and ends about 5000 feet southeast of Cordova High School. If they somehow get a rail and trail, they would definetly have to have a stop at Old Cordova, and Shelby Farms. I would also like to see one down Germantown Road connecting the Cordova CSX line and Germantown-Collierville line but that might be a traffic nightmare.

I think I heard that the owner of the railroad that goes from the U of M to Collierville denied the citys request to share the ROW but I don't think it was from a reliable source. Do you all think a ferry down the Mississippi from Beale Street Landing to the Tunica Riverpark would be successful?

Who knows about Memphis LRT.

The boat from Beale Landing to Tunica sounds neat. If it's speed you wanted though, I think it'd have to be some sort of hydrofoil. Otherwise, I guess it would take well over an hour. Some sort of steamboat, dinner cruise might work out well if the goal isn't just to get there fast.

^ I think that sounds like a good idea. A steamboat ride to and from Beale Landing to Tunica with dining options, etc. could be a big tourist boon. You could stay at either location (Memphis or Tunica), but have easy relaxing access to the amenities of the other.

Maybe a steamboat with some slots on one level, dining on another, and relaxed seating on another. I'm sure that Tennessee would have a problem with something like that. But it would help reduce the boredom of the hour commute.

A higher-speed boat/ferry would be nice as well.

Yeah I was thinking that Tunica and Memphis should build thier own seprate light rail lines. Tunica should build from the riverpark to airport. Ofcourse scan cards should be valid on both Memphis and Tunica lines and get revenue based on ridership. Ferries will be good to use before/while the Tunica-Memphis rail gets built because its way cheaper. Does the Amtrak train go thru Tunica? Maybe ferry stops should include Port of West Memphis, and Riverbend. Since were building that multi-million dollar Beale Street Landing, why not have both hydrofoil and one of those slow dinner steamboats go the same route?

Yeah I was thinking that Tunica and Memphis should build thier own seprate light rail lines. Tunica should build from the riverpark to airport. Ofcourse scan cards should be valid on both Memphis and Tunica lines and get revenue based on ridership. Ferries will be good to use before/while the Tunica-Memphis rail gets built because its way cheaper. Does the Amtrak train go thru Tunica? Maybe ferry stops should include Port of West Memphis, and Riverbend. Since were building that multi-million dollar Beale Street Landing, why not have both hydrofoil and one of those slow dinner steamboats go the same route?

If you can get regional cooperation to work, go for it. But even in bigger metro areas, such cooperation is iffy at best, such as Philly and NY trying to incorporate New Jersey transit options . . .

Can Memphis actually have a true "subway?" Most houses here don't even have basements. Just curious.

I dont think the vast urban density is there for funding to make it a reality. A subway might make sense downtown, midtown, near the airport. But those areas aren't THAT large, compared to other cities with subways. I don't even think Houston has a subway (they have LRT). I say we focus on light rail, improve the bus, and maybe pursue high-speed rail.

I don't know if the houses with basements comment was a joke, but even if houses don't have basements, you can make a subway system. Many office buildings do in the bigger cities do, and the subway spills its traffic into them. Memphis has many office and academic buildings with basements.

I don't think a subway is practical in Memphis. But it's remotely possible.

I think he was talking about the hardness of the ground. I think engineering now has the technology to be able to dig underground without having to worry about the tunnel collapsing. It'll probably be more expensive to build a subway in Memphis because it has to be built stronger to survive an earthquake but not impossible (i.e. Tokyo, LA, Bay Area). If Memphis ever does get the density and funds its possible, but I doubt a city wide system will be built in our lifetime unless something unexpected happens. I think a tunnel was proposed to go under Overton Park instead of thru but that wouldve been very long and expensive Big Dig style project. In the Airline Hub post, theres talk of an underground train system at the airport connecting the terminals so that's probably as close to a subway thats on the drawing boards in Memphis.

I think he was talking about the hardness of the ground. I think engineering now has the technology to be able to dig underground without having to worry about the tunnel collapsing. It'll probably be more expensive to build a subway in Memphis because it has to be built stronger to survive an earthquake but not impossible (i.e. Tokyo, LA, Bay Area). If Memphis ever does get the density and funds its possible, but I doubt a city wide system will be built in our lifetime unless something unexpected happens. I think a tunnel was proposed to go under Overton Park instead of thru but that wouldve been very long and expensive Big Dig style project. In the Airline Hub post, theres talk of an underground train system at the airport connecting the terminals so that's probably as close to a subway thats on the drawing boards in Memphis.

Understood, my bad. But there are many homes with basements in Memphis, and, like I referred to above, there are many buildings with basements.

You're right about technology. Just think Big Dig.

Understood, my bad. But there are many homes with basements in Memphis, and, like I referred to above, there are many buildings with basements.

You're right about technology. Just think Big Dig.

In elementary school, I remember my teacher telling us that there are no basements in Memphis because the Artesian Wells are directly beneath us and the ground is too soggy.

In elementary school, I remember my teacher telling us that there are no basements in Memphis because the Artesian Wells are directly beneath us and the ground is too soggy.

I dunno bout the rest of the city but i read that the wells are over 300 feet underneath downtown.

we dont want a big dig in memphis. if im right, theyre millions(if not billions) of dollars overbudget. and over time

Well luckly I would think the proposal is dead. I was told that when there was the whole fight over 40 going through Overton, there was a proposal to go underneath it instead. The city decided to build it the way it is now.

Mandrws, There are some houses that have basements in Memphis. I have been in a few. Many are not full basements but only small areas. Most of them are in bungalows. Most houses, including bungalows in Memphis do not have basements. They are on the slabs that we see most everywhere in the Memphis area. The buildings downtown for the most part have basements. There may be some exceptions near where the Gayoso Creek used to be.

The ground underneath Memphis has four water-bearing layers of sand and gravel that are situated from 50 to 2600 feet below ground. One saturated permeable aquifer, called the Memphis sand aquifer, lies from 350 to 1100 feet below ground. Memphis' water supply comes mainly from the 500-foot sand layer of the Memphis sand aquifer. It is estimated this sand layer contains a trillion gallons of water. Since the first artesian well was drilled in 1887, the level of the Memphis sand aquifer has dropped 125 feet. The average aquifer thickness of 850 feet, so that drop in the Memphis sand aquifer represents about 15% of that one aquifer.

• 5 weeks later...

I personally think this is the best option just because there really is no room left in Germantown to construct a train station.

I remember a huge plot of land infront of and probably owned by Union University (I think). Its on Hacks Cross and Old Poplar Pike. That would be a great place for a park and ride station and would be heavily used during the Fedex St. Jude Tournament. Anyone thats driven down Hacks Cross knows traffic gets really backed up during that time. Maybe a station along with a 3 story office tower above a 2 story parking garage? I remember WKNO was looking to relocate so maybe it could be there.

Since Fedex's HQ is only a few blocks down the road, a bus route from Olive Branch Airport-Union University-Wolfchase might be a good idea. Also I'd like a bus route that goes from Wolfchase-Union University Germantown station-then goes to Shelby Dr. and west to the intermodal terminal on Airways. If MATA gave students free school transport scan cards valid on weekdays, busses and cars at GHS won't be as necessary, and traffic would decrease greatly. In fact, they should do that for all students and that'll save MCS and SCS money so they no longer need to provide transport for students and less kids will skip school because they missed the school bus.

heres some new news on it

heres the link(can i put links?)

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local_...4440774,00.html

^yea you can put links but they don't like people copying and pasting articles. I think its a good idea to have on the boards because Desotos traffic is horrible! Its not going to start construction for another 20 years but atleast its easy to see what kinda developments Tunicas gonna be planning :D

As for Memphis light rail, Tom Fox told me "MATA is cooperating with the City of Memphis in a comprehensive review of all capital projects of all city divisions. While this review is underway, we are not advancing the light rail project." :( How long is this review?

Hey some momentum! Good news. I saw this today in the CA as well. I would love to see Tunica/NMS and Memphis become better intergrated single metro, I think a light rail system spanning the two would go a long way to do that. Of course, this is a long way away, if it even ever gets off the ground on either side of the state line.

• 1 month later...

Archived