Memphis Pics

HKG

I always enjoy other posters' photos, so here are a few I snapped this fall. Hopefully more folks will post photos. I'll take another round of photos sometime this winter.

This is a picture of the Madison taken from the roof of 10 S. Main...fog was incredible this day.

MadisoN.jpg

This is another shot.

Madisonx.jpg

This is where No. 1 Beale will be constructed.

OneBeale.jpg

This is the old Federal Courthouse that houses a post office. The University of Memphis School of Law is still attempting to move their facilities to this location.

PostOffice.jpg

This is a view of the Lincoln American Tower next to 100 N. Main. Work has begun on the Lincoln American Tower...I think the plan is to make the top 5 floors one condo...sweet if you can afford.

Lincoln.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Memphis for Christmas. I saw that the Lincoln American Life Building was being gutted. The old Rhodes-Jennings (Lowenstein's) Building and the Annex looked to have already been gutted. Your picture looks as if the Annex is gutted in it and that was from September. Do we know when construction is going to start?

I also saw that some condos on the Main Street Demostration Block are almost finished and saw another couple of buildings being gutted for rehab, one was the Goodwyn Istitute on Madison. The Vue still looked to be a hole that had not been worked on. I know that they have been doing the Federal HUD thing so I wasn't surprised. Any word about the Goodwyn Institute Building? I see that it is supposed to be 8 condos and 18 apartments.

I was in Memphis for Christmas. I saw that the Lincoln American Life Building was being gutted. The old Rhodes-Jennings (Lowenstein's) Building and the Annex looked to have already been gutted. Your picture looks as if the Annex is gutted in it and that was from September. Do we know when construction is going to start?

I also saw that some condos on the Main Street Demostration Block are almost finished and saw another couple of buildings being gutted for rehab, one was the Goodwyn Istitute on Madison. The Vue still looked to be a hole that had not been worked on. I know that they have been doing the Federal HUD thing so I wasn't surprised. Any word about the Goodwyn Institute Building? I see that it is supposed to be 8 condos and 18 apartments.

Report on Goodwyn:

The plan has changed on this building. It will be all Condos, no apartments. The top 6 or 7 floors will be single condos, while the lower floors will be split into 2 condos per floor. Workers have begun pouring concrete in the lot west of the buidling to create a courtyard and driveway to the parking deck south of the building. The building appears to be almost ready for refurbishing (i.e., gutted).

Lowenstein/Lincoln American:

Progress appears slow on these buildings. Real slow. I wonder whether this project has financing yet.

The Lincoln American Building is a gem. I keep waiting to move downtown so I can live in it. I would like to see an urban grocery store on the ground floor of the adjacent Lowenstein building (just for my convenience of course). I think this part of downtown is still a big secret to most people. As progress is made we're sure to see more demand and the ripple effect of it creating more development.

Lowenstein/Lincoln American:

Progress appears slow on these buildings. Real slow. I wonder whether this project has financing yet.

I was down there in June, and stayed at the Sleep Inn, right across from the Lincoln American Tower. I was looking out my window, and saw a group of people in suits and hardhats go inside. I walked across the street and asked them about it. They gave me the impression that work on the project was going to start right away----this was in June, 2005, mind you, so who knows.

The Commercial Appeal reported that the funding for the project was secure and all phases of redevelopment were underway. You can visit the project website at www.courtsquarecenter.com.

I was down there in June, and stayed at the Sleep Inn, right across from the Lincoln American Tower. I was looking out my window, and saw a group of people in suits and hardhats go inside. I walked across the street and asked them about it. They gave me the impression that work on the project was going to start right away----this was in June, 2005, mind you, so who knows.

Is this the Annex? A friend and I were recently in downtown Memphis taking some photos of all the changes and I took this shot close to 100 N Main. Any idea what this once was? You could see tall white columns and remants of old green and white floor tiles... This picture was taken on 12/29/05, while the UP BANK sign was starting to come down.

image00046vd.jpg

Hope the picture link works, can't seem to find a reliable image hosting server that works. Any suggestions?

Is this the Annex? A friend and I were recently in downtown Memphis taking some photos of all the changes and I took this shot close to 100 N Main. Any idea what this once was? You could see tall white columns and remants of old green and white floor tiles... This picture was taken on 12/29/05, while the UP BANK sign was starting to come down.

image00046vd.jpg

Hope the picture link works, can't seem to find a reliable image hosting server that works. Any suggestions?

No, that building is the old Lowenstein's department store building. The Annex is the building behind Lincoln American tower that fronts on Court Square. All three buildings are part of the project.

I use pbase.com for hosting. You can get virtually unlimited hosting there for about $20/yr. It seemed to work well up until a couple weeks ago, when I first had some problems, but they went away. And those were the only problems in 18 months or so.

Archived