CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Verdae

g-man430

Be patient! Trees tend to take a while to grow.

A hundred years or more, perhaps. I posted an article a few years back titled "why suburbs will never have tall trees" that is no longer available online. This page explains the reasons about 2/3 down where it says "why urban sprawl and urban forestry do not mix". Basically, by running the construction equipment all over the land and using builders loam and probably very little topsoil, the tree roots can't grow naturally and you will likely never see tall trees in developments like this in your lifetime.

A hundred years or more, perhaps. I posted an article a few years back titled "why suburbs will never have tall trees" that is no longer available online. This page explains the reasons about 2/3 down where it says "why urban sprawl and urban forestry do not mix". Basically, by running the construction equipment all over the land and using builders loam and probably very little topsoil, the tree roots can't grow naturally and you will likely never see tall trees in developments like this in your lifetime.

Lake Forest and Botany Woods (built in early 1960s) seem to challenge that. I say they prove it is possible to build neighborhoods and maintain a lot of the forest. Of course, I'm not meaning that this could've/should've been done at Verde. I understand that there wasn't the same type of woodlands to begin with.

The linked page is from Ontario, Canada. I don't know how the trees grow up there, but they grow fast in SC. The neighborhood I grew up in was scraped clean by machines when it was built but is a forest now. On one side the neighbors planted pine trees in their back yard several years after moving in and those trees are 70-80 feet high and block the sun all morning. On the other side are some large oak trees and a cedar that must be 50 feet high or more. In our backyard is a pecan tree that seeded itself years after my parents bought the place that is 50-60 feet tall and about as wide. There are tulip trees down the road that must be 100 feet high.

The big ice storm a couple of years ago bought down some of the tall trees a block away and left us without power for a week. Those trees were more than 2 feet thick.

I drove through earlier today...awesome infrastructure. Cant wait to see more buildings and people there...

I didnt get up close to the houses to confirm or deny what Id heard of the quality, but the designs looked nice--Im a big fan of alleys anyway.

I agree about the infrastructure.

Drove through last night for the first time at dark. I absolutely love the streetlights they picked out. The way Rocky Slop is lit, with the large amount of trees they planted along the road......very nice. Give it a few years and this will be a fun area to go for evening/late night jogs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Cascades have officially opened according to an article from The Greenville News. 40 new residents are already calling the Cascades and the City of Greenville home. This also means that the promised jobs for this aspect of the development are opening up and being filled. Great timing. :thumbsup:

You can check out more here: Link

• 2 months later...

I thought this was supposed to be a true mixed use development. Putting gates up in the Estate part of Hollingsworth Park and the retirement village kills that. You don't see gates up at other mixed use developments like Griffin Park so why here?

Edited by citylife

I thought this was supposed to be a true mixed use development. Putting gates up in the Estate part of Hollingsworth Park and the retirement village kills that. You don't see gates up at other mixed use developments like Griffin Park so why here?

I believe they are doing that because it is supposed to be a city within a city so they want to give all the characteristics of what a city has, as in Gated communities, retail, office, un-gated communities, and etc!!! That is the only way I can answer that question...

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Verdae continues to move forward... Verdae Townhomes has submitted an application to the City for a Land Development Permit.

You can see the proposed units here in their application: Verdae Townhomes

It's good to see development continue. It's especially good to see a strong variation of the type of development that's going on... The townhomes appear to compliment the single family units quite well! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Verdae has applied with the City for approval of its next portion of development. Last month we saw an application for townhome construction, which looks set to begin. Now, they're applying for property on Rocky Slope Rd, which will is "Hollingsworth Town Center Retail Phase 1".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...