CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Verdae

g-man430

• 1 month later...

Verdae has bought the old Sam's Club...

I wonder what their plans are?

I've been hoping that Verdae might would somehow provide DIRECT access to Hollingsworth Park from Laurens Road. Being connected to three major roads will greatly increase connectivity (ease congestion) and improve the long term viability of this development, IMO. We'll see what happens, but depending on their plans, this could be a major facelift and shot in the arm for Laurens Road. If only they'd buy the former Goody's land, and old Best Buy, too...  :whistling:

Hope for IKEA, get a WalMart.

Oddly enough, a Walmart was potentially in the works for this site a few years ago. I actually wouldn't have a problem with this as it would bring life to an area of Laurens Road that needs it along with new tax revenue for the city. Edited by gman430

Oddly enough, a Walmart was potentially in the works for this site a few years ago. I actually wouldn't have a problem with this as it would bring life to an area of Laurens Road that needs it along with new tax revenue for the city.

I doubt they need another Walmart on the I85 corridor. Theres already one on Pelham, Woodruff, and in Powdersville.

Just a heads up that the new apartment complex going up within Verdae will NOT have gates. They were rejected by the Planning Commission.

That's great news! Thanks for sharing!

I checked out Patrick Square this weekend in Clemson. WOW! I love the style and diversity of design in that development. Verdae's Hollingsworth Park is much more dense, but rather bland and vanilla in comparison.

• 1 month later...

It's great to see this momentum of Phase I driving the beginning of phase II. I wish they were leaving space for future connection to Salters Rd. I'm not sure I understand that oversight on the part of Verdae, but maybe there's planned access in another location?

Looking at the site plan on page 5 of the PDF file, it appears that Algonquin Trail will connect to Salters Road as part of future phases.

True. Good call.

I understand that there's a magic number/critical mass needed to sustain different things, so I wonder what a realistic timeframe is for further commercial development-- specifically restaurant/retail. I understand that some similar developments offer very specific stores (that offer everyday items and the like) lower or free rent for a certain period of time in order to establish the "town/community" feel that will ultimately sell the development to potential buyers. Then, in theory, the population becomes high enough to support the store by the time market rate rent is charged. Right now, unless you need dental work or a gym, you're not being offered much to satisfy your needs.

understand that there's a magic number/critical mass needed to sustain different things, so I wonder what a realistic timeframe is for further commercial development-- specifically restaurant/retail. I understand that some similar developments offer very specific stores (that offer everyday items and the like) lower or free rent for a certain period of time in order to establish the "town/community" feel that will ultimately sell the development to potential buyers

I'm still amazed that there is not some sort of trail connecting to Verdae Market or the Books-A-Million shopping center.

So interesting to see all the views of outsiders into the project.  Many of you don't realize that the president of Verdae, Rick Sumeral, has no real interest in TND or connectivity.  His only interest is in maximizing margins and the amount of money this project will funnel into Hollingsworth Funds.  TND is just window dressing.  I have met with the man personally multiple times.  His aim is to keep his job and please the board of Verdae Development and Hollingsworth Funds.  The way he does this is by selling lots and continuing to move the project along by whatever means necessary.  If that means watering down the original design guidelines and gutting many of the TND tenets, so be it.  If that means changing the "master plan" that many of us bought into and bringing a "garden style" apartment complex into the development where single family home were originally meant to go, then he will do it.  By the way, the denial of the gates at the apartment complex was due in large part to the current residents meeting with city officials, giving them a presentation, and then voicing our concerns at the zoning meeting to object to the gates.  Rick Sumeral was all for the gates.  He is Machiavellian in the MOST negative connotation of that word.

http://www.hollingsworthpark.com

• 4 weeks later...

Connected?  Are you not listening to anything I have said on here?  Rick Sumeral does not care about connectivity.  That plot of land is going to be sold to Ryan Homes and will probably be a typical cookie cutter subdivision with one road in and out with lots of cul de sacs and ugly houses.  You can see from the outline that it will probably have one main road in and out of the "subdivision" from Rocky Slope.  Part of this area was supposed to be a mirror image of the manor section in the original plans.  Of course those plans have long since gone out the window in favor of expediency and making a quick buck.  The supposed 20-30 year development of this property was a big lie.  Unethical, unethical, unethical.

Connected?  Are you not listening to anything I have said on here?  Rick Sumeral does not care about connectivity.  That plot of land is going to be sold to Ryan Homes and will probably be a typical cookie cutter subdivision with one road in and out with lots of cul de sacs and ugly houses.  You can see from the outline that it will probably have one main road in and out of the "subdivision" from Rocky Slope.  Part of this area was supposed to be a mirror image of the manor section in the original plans.  Of course those plans have long since gone out the window in favor of expediency and making a quick buck.  The supposed 20-30 year development of this property was a big lie.  Unethical, unethical, unethical.

I feel like this post should be in the "Rumor Mill" thread until plans for this part of Verdae are confirmed.