CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Verdae

g-man430

Wow! This is in line with the kind of big developments mentioned when Verdae's master plan was first announced.

I just don't know if the square footage is only for the building or if it includes the parking lot also. If it does include the parking lot then it's probably just NewSpring Church sadly.

You all might want to look at the TBA at the bottom of page 4: http://issuu.com/cjdesigns/docs/06272014_ubj_issuu?e=2014166/8319085

I don't believe they have their facts straight-- again. That square footage is the same size as the acres listed- which is for the site and not the building. Come on Greenville Journal!

Edited by GvilleSC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At least they have rear access. Was hoping for some more density in Verdae though. Maybe when they redo the 85/Laurens Road intersection, they will add more buildings in a cluster near the existing office buildings.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with this proposal. Am I missing something? :huh:

It looks like they are doing some strange things with existing intersections that they had created. Two will just end at the front of people's townhouses, one of which is one of the raised ones. The common area behind the parking of the townhouses is kind of large when they could have had another row of townhouses facing  the future road A (maybe that is the long term plan?) I think that the strange driveway roads in front of the houses in Ruskin Square along Rocky Slope Road is odd... The whole development is just a little off. They should have pushed those homes against Rocky Slope Road. The townhomes on Shadwell Street should have been pushed up against the road... the green space is just kind of odd in my opinion. Then they are building the new offices along Verdae so of course they added another curb cut on Rocky Slope.

Still better than most developments but it could have been more.

Edited by johnpro318

I just don't get why there are complaints over this development but yet there are none over the cookie cutter cul-de-sac sprawling subdivisions going up left and right in the county. Verdae is a 20-25 year build out so there is still a lot left to be done. I'm on a wait and see approach personally.

I just don't get why there are complaints over this development but yet there are none over the cookie cutter cul-de-sac sprawling subdivisions going up left and right in the county. Verdae is a 20-25 year build out so there is still a lot left to be done. I'm on a wait and see approach personally.

Because this development was billed as being innovative and different.  It started as a huge chunk of land with unlimited potential.  We were promised an urban, mixed-use development.  Do you think that has happened there?  I sure don't.

Other than having houses really close together and green space/playground in the middle of the residential component, I don't see it being much different from other residential developments.  The apartments are a run-of-the-mill suburban design.  The houses are overpriced in my opinion.  If they bring in some really great retail and corporate tenants, and do some innovative things with transit, then it will be different at least.

I envisioned a mini-downtown for Verdae, with an urban design, mixed uses, walkable streets, etc.  I hoped it could replace what was initially promised for The Point before that project fell through.  Verdae could be something similar to Atlantic Station.  At the very least, it could be comparable to Daniel Island, if not better.  What we seem to be getting isn't even close.  Questioning what we have seen so far, and doubting what it will become, isn't unreasonable, gman430.

Edited by Greenville
  • Like 1

Doing away with the alleys is a mistake. That's an important element of New Urbanism/TND and the lifestyle it promotes. Not a death knell, but a blow to the components of the development and the pieces that make it significant and functional. Not connecting the road behind the park is another issue that goes much further-- connectivity. Each thing starts watering down the overall product.

• Like 1

Does "Duped by Verdae"  still live in community?  If he is so unhappy maybe he should move out.

I think the issue with the alley concept has to do with the city's santitation trucks size and navigating those.

I do not live there anymore. It's easy to say "If he is so unhappy maybe he should move out," but the reality is that I invested a lot of money on promises that weren't kept. Rick Sumerel has no integrity and made and broke promises on numerous occasions. That's basically the same as lying since I don't think he had any intention of keeping those promises. I did sell and at a 6 figure loss. It is definitely not turning out to be what it was originally billed as, and it is not TND. As far as a 25-30 year build out, I doubt it. They are going to fill those lots as quickly and expediently as they can as long as someone is paying money (for example, the typical, garden style apartments that were not in the original plan). It had a lot of potential to be something special. No doubt it will still be very popular and there will eventually be retail, etc. By the way, the old dogma that residential has to come before retail is not applicable to this infill development that is surrounded by residential areas. Retail here would attract residents from all of the surrounding areas like Parkins Mill, Gower, etc.

• 4 weeks later...