CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Verdae

g-man430

• 4 weeks later...

I view Verdae like I do Magnolia Park - as a huge disappointment.  I don't expect top level, forward-thinking developments from either of these anymore.  We were promised that both would be game changers, and it became clear years ago that neither would be close to what was planned.  It could be worse, I suppose.  But I'm way past having any substantial expectations for either one, so you won't hear me complaining.

• Like 2

The main thing that I see in Greenville's suburban developments is that the zoning powers that be still don't get it: without making streets on a grid system and with more pedestrian/transit-friendly layouts, any large new development could end up being the next Pleasantburg Drive in its time, Haywood Road in its time, Laurens Road in its time or Woodruff Road, with masses of unnecessary traffic.  Wouldn't 4 consecutive traffic-choked sprawling areas have been enough to learn from?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am unhappy that Ryan Homes will be developing the Belhaven neighborhood in Verdae.  I'd hoped that national builders would've been excluded from the Verdea development initiative.  I've heard many local realtors express the opinion that nationally built communities have marred the face of the City of Greenville.  

Edited by HappyCamper

I'm sure there are many, Burg.  Off the top of my head I suggest considering all the Forrester neighborhoods on the Greenville/Maudlin city line.  Forrester Woods and Forrester Estates are beautiful neighborhoods.  Forrester Heights, which was developed by McCar Builders, was built within the last ten years.  Home prices there split the difference between Forrester Woods and Forrester Estates.  Even though the homes in Forrester Heights typically come in at a higher price point and are newer than those in Forrester Woods, the homes in Forrester Woods are better built, have more desirable yards, and have stood the test of time.  In fact, families are now buying into both Forrester Woods and Forrester Estates and renovating the homes there.  Furthermore, Forrester Woods and Forrester Heights are considered desirable neighborhoods and are held in higher regard than is Forrester Heights and the other surrounding nationally-built neighborhoods.    

Nationally built homes may be attractive from the front, but they typically are very plain and unattractive from the back.  They're lined up and jammed in and put together very quickly with inferior materials.  I once lived in a 3,500 sq foot, higher-end Ryan Home with a brick front facade and the back wall of that house shook when you closed the front door.  Every neighbor in that subdivision had the same problem.  In my opinion, the national builders "dress up" the front facades of their homes to sell out a neighborhood quickly, but when the builder's finished and moved on and the neighborhoods have had a few years to mature they age poorly.  

I know that Verdae wants to offer homes at several different price points, but it would have been nice if they'd found a way to do so that mimicked the development of the well-known and well-respected Greenville neighborhoods (i. e. Silver Leaf, the Sugar Creeks, Botany Woods, the brick ranch neighborhoods surrounding Botany Woods, etc.)  

Edited by HappyCamper

I read back over your comment, Burg, and saw that you asked specially about Ryan Homes mucking up Greenville.  I see that I provided an example of a McCar neighborhood and wanted to say that was an oversight on my part.  

But I thought I'd come back here and provide for you the list of things we had to replace during the eight years we lived in our Ryan Home:  The entire HVAC system; Our patio and interior garage doors as they weren't framed level and wouldn't shut properly; The framing surrounding our front door; The dish washer and microwave; The double ovens heating component; The windows in the master bath, a spare bedroom and the foyer; The drain from an upstairs shower and tub as they leaked through the downstairs ceiling.  I don't think all that hassle was worth the home's $500,000 price tag.   

Im thinking that the comments about mucking up greenville isn't about quality or more over quantity. Its about how they configure there neighborhoods.... Aka cul de sacs, closed off neighborhoods and curvy streets. Some may like those kinds of things. But for instance of Verdae it wasnt supposed be like that. It was supposed to be new urbanism. Everything connected to everything else. The beginning of that project fit that primise. I think it called ruskin square or whatever. Then it started morphing into what we are seeing today. A bunch of closed off things. Just another collection of suburban neighborhoods. I would be upset to, like another board member on here, if i bought into something that didnt materialize in the end. But thats my take on it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...