CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Verdae

g-man430

3 hours ago, sc smitty said:

That section of oversized suburban McMansions really sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the development when viewed from overhead.

Oversized?  If the owners of those houses want big homes, how is that anyone elses business?

33 minutes ago, btoy said:

Oversized?  If the owners of those houses want big homes, how is that anyone elses business?

Oversized isn’t the problem for me but rather that this portion of Verdae is not TND and it’s gated. How they got away with that in the city limits especially within what is supposed to be a true TND development is absolutely baffling to me. Same goes for the Cascades. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, btoy said:

They are definitely out of scale with the rest of the neighborhood.  Seems more like the sort of thing I'd expect to see in the typical subdivision along Woodruff Rd somewhere, rather than in a development billed as TND.

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Assuming the affected streets are privately owned (as opposed to state, city or county) then I don't see what would stop them. 

Verdae seemed to use TND more for marketing purposes than 'do or die' guidelines. 

Still has to go before the planning commission though right? City ordinance prohibits gated communities. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/11/2019 at 10:43 AM, johnpro318 said:

When is Phase 2 scheduled to start? Or can we change the name of the thread to just Verdae?

Back when we started this thread, I think the idea was we'd have each phase in a separate thread. That said, I'll change the name because I think it makes more sense to keep this one in one topic.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:48 PM, Den2Gvl said:

This is one example of a recently-built, but currently empty office building providing an excellent opportunity for our city to attract a national organization fundamentally related to one of the city's strongest industries, engineering.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/11/2019 at 4:19 PM, gman430 said:

Still has to go before the planning commission though right? City ordinance prohibits gated communities. 

I'm interested in the specific text of the ordinance prohibiting gated communities.  Can you point me in the right direction.  I'm searching https://library.municode.com/sc/greenville/codes/code_of_ordinances to no avail.  

56 minutes ago, evanbeek said:

I'm interested in the specific text of the ordinance prohibiting gated communities.  Can you point me in the right direction.  I'm searching https://library.municode.com/sc/greenville/codes/code_of_ordinances to no avail.  

From Chapter 19-6.7:

(D)

Points of access. Development shall provide cross-access between compatible, adjacent land uses unless determined by the decision-making body to be infeasible due to topography; environmental constraints; or property configuration/shape. Development may be required to share driveway access with adjoining properties, consistent with the provisions of the design and specifications manual. Restrictions to access, including, but not limited to gates; gatehouses, guard houses, etc., are prohibited unless such access is determined by the decision-making body to be necessary for public safety.

4 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

From Chapter 19-6.7:

(D)

Points of access. Development shall provide cross-access between compatible, adjacent land uses unless determined by the decision-making body to be infeasible due to topography; environmental constraints; or property configuration/shape. Development may be required to share driveway access with adjoining properties, consistent with the provisions of the design and specifications manual. Restrictions to access, including, but not limited to gates; gatehouses, guard houses, etc., are prohibited unless such access is determined by the decision-making body to be necessary for public safety.

:thumbsup: