CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Verdae

g-man430

I haven't been by there, but I am sure they only cut down what was necessary for the buildings/roads/parking lots. Nearly the entire 200+ acre property was originally covered by woods. The problem with much of those particular trees is that they are pines instead of hardwoods. I would like to see as many trees - especially hardwoods - saved as possible though.

Nice pictures Peacockdude. No pictures can do justice though to the wide open space this has created or the real magnitude of the area seen in the pictures. I like the one with Embassy Suites rising above the trees. It's symbolic of the situation. Embassy Suites is sitting alone, waiting for the surrounding development... as it has been for 10+ years...

Wow, this is a weird thread. I expect a lot of tress will be planted on this site, but this is a Hollingsworth site.

Other than JD Hollingsworth on wheels, he made his money on tree farms across the state. Best guess is that the developers for Verdae have decided that different types of wood is better for a mixed use development, and its easier to clear and sell large portions of the pine land and use parts of the profits back into the development.

The deforestation probably would have happened, regardless of the development

There's plenty of places for political debate, and even places to bash your political opponents. Must it be done here? Mods? Anyone??!!

Politics go hand in hand with urban development. if you think that they don't then you are truely a naive individual. That said, I though the Verdae project was the ultimate sign of progress in Greenville? How do you expect them to buid anything if they don't cut down some trees? You people need to get a grip on what the real situation is here.

Stay on topic with the political discussions and its fine. This has definitely strayed off topic. I don't see how a dead president's actions are relevant to this project at all. Stay on topic.

I was expecting them to cut down trees, Spartan. It's just I wasn't expecting them to cut down as many as they did.

Same here. I was actually caught quite off guard by Mr. Peacock's photos of the site. I had no idea there would be clear cutting to that extent. Granted, it is a huge development, but I would have expected more selective removal given the nature and history of the property being developed. Maybe it was just naive of me to expect as much. :blink:

The Tribune Times has an article about Mauldin's discussions of how Verdae will affect the nearby city. It cited some cool figures, some that many of you may have heard before.

1100 acres

15,000 jobs

8,000 residents (gone down?)

$9.5 million in tax revenue

2 options to handle the increased traffic:

-rubber tire tram with extensions to ICAR, downtown, and Furman University

-a seperate GTA bus loop

2 options to handle the increased traffic:

-rubber tire tram with extensions to ICAR, downtown, and Furman University

-a seperate GTA bus loop

I can see the GTA bus loop as a realistic option to last some years.

The rubber tire tram would be a bust strectching it to Furman University and Travelers Rest. It is cost effective, consistant ans sustainable to pursue connecting both major points of the county with a people moving rail transit system.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you guys driven down Verdae lately and looked at the project underway? I was down it for the first time yesterday and WOW.....go take a drive and see. The area of the initial phase of this project is huge. A quick glance puts into perspective the massive scale of this entire project. :)

Any of you guys driven down Verdae lately and looked at the project underway? I was down it for the first time yesterday and WOW.....go take a drive and see. The area of the initial phase of this project is huge. A quick glance puts into perspective the massive scale of this entire project. :)

Last time I went by, it looked as though they had marked off where the new road was going. Maybe we'll see asphalt soon, if it's not down yet. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

^ Thanks for the heads up. I noticed this morning, this project is really moving along! :thumbsup: The Verdae Village sign looks nice. :thumbsup:

I noticed those and meant to say something. I hope they plan on doing a little more to the signs, because I don't like the one on Verdae at all. :sick: It will grow on me, I'm sure.

I drove by today and it looks as though some of the power lines are up for the first phase. So much for buried lines... This is a huge chance to go ahead and save some money in the long run. Thanks, Duke, developer of Verdae, and the city. Whoever needs to catch the blame, I'm extremely dissapointed in.

I drove by today and it looks as though some of the power lines are up for the first phase. So much for buried lines... This is a huge chance to go ahead and save some money in the long run. Thanks, Duke, developer of Verdae, and the city. Whoever needs to catch the blame, I'm extremely dissapointed in.

Where was this? Was this along the area of old Rocky Slope? Could these have been old lines? Verdae is suppose to be 100% buried.