2005 in Atlanta

ironchapman

2005 was a big year for Atlanta. We some some veyr good and very bad things happen to our fair city. I'm going to attempt to sum it up. Feel free to add or give your opinions on the events or the year's effect on Atlanta.

Good:

• 1180 Peachtree opens

• Atlantic Station opens

• Georgia Aquarium opens

• We begin to experience a construction boom

• The Beltline was passed by all three boards (Atlanta City Council, Atlanta BOE, Fulton County Commission) who had to approve it before work was even started or planned.

• We begin work on the new World of Coke

• We pick up some of New Orleans' conventions

• The Peachtree Streetcar seems on its way to approval

• We learn we will host the 2005/06 Sugar Bowl

• Mayor Franklin named as one of the best mayors in the world

• More suburbanites are moving intown

• Population just keeps growing (partially because suburbanites are moving intown, partially because people are still migrating here)

• King Kong's premier

• Falcons and Braves still prving that Atlanta does have good sports teams

• Thrashers are slowly becoming better

• Anyone care to add?

Bad:

• GA-Pacific is no longer a private company

• Peach Bowl will lose the "Peach" in its name after this season

• Transit's situation just gets worse

• We lost yet another Super Bowl to a Florida city

• How to fix traffic? Why let's build some roads!

• Delta is in dire straits

• King Center continues to experience trouble (thank God the Feds are looking to buy it)

• Say Adios to Ft's McPherson and Gillem (good ideasto redevlop them, though)

• Subdivisons proposed around the metro....and the sprawl just keeps getting worse

• People leaving town for the burbs still

• Braves fail to make it past the division pennant again

• Hawks still bad

• Anyone care to add?

Overall, I'd say 2005 was pretty kind to Atlanta, but there were some bad things to help balance many of the good things out.

It was also a good year for the Atlanta on UP. The city has finally gotten a successful forum here and we have a large member base of regular posters here that joined mostly just this year.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is coming from an outsider who is somewhat familiar with the Atlanta area, and who really loves the city. I'll do more of an overall positive/negative thing, rather than single events.

I visited Atlanta a few weeks ago, for the first time in two years(which was way to long) and here is what I saw.

Simply put, Atlanta is moving forward. The city government is doing a pretty good job, Mayor Franklin is fantastic, the job's continue to grow, the population continues to boom, the crime continues to slowly get somewhat under control, the city continues to become more and more important to the nation every day, and overall, Atlanta is moving farther and farther away from that line where a city starts to go downhill. The city is doing many many things right.

Also something that I have noticed over the years, Atlanta has become much more tourist friendly. Recently, I have enjoyed Atlanta much more as a tourist than in past years. The city is just more fun.

Though there are still overall city problems.

Things like public education, traffic, suburban migration,(which is starting to get better) crime,(also starting to get better) and sprawl obviously need to be brought under control.

Atlanta seems to have a very bright, and important future. And I really look forward to seeing the city continue to grow.

I realize that most of the stuff I listed above is obvious to Atlantans. But I thought you guys might like an outsiders opinion on the city. :)

In many ways, 2005 seemed to be pretty good to Atlanta, and here's to an even better 2006! :thumbsup:

This might be included in the Atlantic Station part, but IKEA opening is a very positive thing for your city. I know almost 15 people (myself too) alone from my city that went down to ATL during the summer to the grand opening. That store itself is a tourist attraction. And plus you guys got another one coming, how did you get so lucky? :lol:

This is coming from an outsider who is somewhat familiar with the Atlanta area, and who really loves the city. I'll do more of an overall positive/negative thing, rather than single events.

I visited Atlanta a few weeks ago, for the first time in two years(which was way to long) and here is what I saw.

Simply put, Atlanta is moving forward. The city government is doing a pretty good job, Mayor Franklin is fantastic, the job's continue to grow, the population continues to boom, the crime continues to slowly get somewhat under control, the city continues to become more and more important to the nation every day, and overall, Atlanta is moving farther and farther away from that line where a city starts to go downhill. The city is doing many many things right.

Also something that I have noticed over the years, Atlanta has become much more tourist friendly. Recently, I have enjoyed Atlanta much more as a tourist than in past years. The city is just more fun.

Though there are still overall city problems.

Things like public education, traffic, suburban migration,(which is starting to get better) crime,(also starting to get better) and sprawl obviously need to be brought under control.

Atlanta seems to have a very bright, and important future. And I really look forward to seeing the city continue to grow.

I realize that most of the stuff I listed above is obvious to Atlantans. But I thought you guys might like an outsiders opinion on the city. :)

In many ways, 2005 seemed to be pretty good to Atlanta, and here's to an even better 2006! :thumbsup:

It's really great to hear that an outsider is having more fun as a tourist in the city. The public education, traffic, and subruban migration still are problems that we are having trouble controlling, but we are trying at least.

Atlanta's got a bright future indeed, IMO. it needs to contiue doing what it does better than almost any city out there: dream big. It's one thing we've excelled at for a long time. We need to keep the prideup and the dreams coming.

2005, like I said before, was very kind to Atlanta, but every rose has its thorns....we did after all suffer some bad things happening to the city (even if that is to be expected). I think that the events that occurred in 2005 and the ones that will occur in 2006 will decide Atlanta's future for years to come.

Good (in addition to what IC has already mentioned):

- Massive sewer system overhaul underway

- Massive CDC expansion

- Massive Emory expansion

- Nancy Creek Tunnel virtually completed

- Massive Airport expansion continues

- World class improvements to Arts Center

- Continued interest in creating walkable neighborhoods and TOD in intown areas

- Trust for Public Land purchases Beltline property

Bad:

- Despite some notable exceptions, city school system languishes

- Sandy Springs incorporates

- Sprawl continues unabated and is encouraged by state and local governments

- Racial segregation persists ITP

- State and region continue to ignore MARTA

Obviously there's a lot more in both categories. Georgia Pacific has actually gone from a public to a private company, but that's just a technicality.

Good (in addition to what IC has already mentioned):

- Continued interest in creating walkable neighborhoods and TOD in intown areas

- Trust for Public Land purchases Beltline property

I'm really hoping we continue going through with these, especially the interest in creating walkable neighborhoods intown.

As another outsider who visited Atlanta, I enjoyed the city from a tourist standpoint. Freeway-wise, I think it's good that I-75, 85, 285, 675 & 20 are connected because that means you can make a short drive to the suburbs and be in the city in no time, of course depending on the traffic, and the abundance of nightlife/restaurants. I didn't have to leave downtown because just about everything I wanted to do was in the city center.

Archived