DC restaurants

tombarnes

Blackie's has served its last slab o' flesh....from the Washington Post ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5123101143.html

I had known that Blackie's would be closing soon, but I didn't expect it to vanish as quickly as it did. Their exit was New Year's Eve, 2005. Somehow, it was better when it was tackier inside. R.I.P. Blackie.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I review restaurants on a non-professional basis at a website, so I have been to tons of them. A few of my current favorites are:

Taberna del Alabardero on I Street- old-school Spanish restaurant with outstanding food and service

Kinkead's- in Red Lion Row on Pennsylvania Avenue- has possibly lost a little bit of its lustre, but Bob Kinkead really does know how to cook

Zaytinya- near Gallery Place- inventive Mediterranean cooking in a very cool setting

21 P- on P Street near Dupont Circle- pleasant, unpretentious cooking in an attractive setting

Johnny's Half Shell- on P Street near Dupont Circle- Ann Cashion has really put her stamp on this tiny restaurant- great fish and oysters- she also flies her bread in from New Orleans

Cashion's Eat Place- in Adams Morgan- Ann Cashion's signature restaurant- world cuisine with a Sothern twist

Malaysia Kopitiam- on M Street near 19th- nothing to look at, but offers very, very good curries and other Malaysian dishes- a better alternative to the more streamlined Penang nearby

Bistrot du Coin- on Connecticut Avenue near Florida above Dupont Circle- the bistro food is nothing too adventurous and many would say it is stodgy and old fashioned. I say you should still go there for a terrific Bouche a la Reine- chicken, mushrooms and sweetbreads in puff pastry drenched in cream sauce. Sure you may need to go to the gym to atone for your sins, but it's worth it. Excellent Argentine beef too. Michel, the owner, is half the reason to go there- he always remembers you. Where else does the owner dance on the tabletops on Bastille Day?

Heritage India- two locations- one on Wisconsin Avenue in Glover Park and a new one on Connecticut Avenue below Dupont Circle- I prefer the traditional cooking at the former location, but both are very good. Stay well away from the hybrid pasta dishes at the new location on Connecicut.

I could go on and on. As I think of them, I'll post them here. If you want links to my reviews, I could post these as well, but that could be in violation of the terms of the site.

Kinkead's is good... took the gf there last year. Food was pretty good. Lots of seemingly important people eating there (way more important than 2 college kids :)) In fact, we listened to the conversation next to us more than we talked to each other. I guess I felt a little out of place... but the food was excellent.

Kinkead's is good... took the gf there last year. Food was pretty good. Lots of seemingly important people eating there (way more important than 2 college kids :)) In fact, we listened to the conversation next to us more than we talked to each other. I guess I felt a little out of place... but the food was excellent.

I think I have eaten at Kincaids at MacArthur in Norfolk which wa pretty good as well.

Another great thing about Kinkead's is that you can have lunch or dinner in the bar downstairs. Same kitchen, different menu, but about half the price of the upstairs dining room. I have been to the other Kincaid's at MacArthur Center in Norfolk. That one is good too, but it's a chain.

Off to lunch today at Cafe Atlantico downtown. Will report on my findings here.

Vidalia on M Street is excellent. Georgia Brown's (downtown near Farragut Square) is still good as well.

I'll have to give "Vidalia" a try. I like "Georgia Brown's" a lot. If you like South Carolina style cooking, go to "Magnolia" if you ever go to Charlestown, SC. It is extremely good. My favorite restaurant in Charlestown.

"Two Quail" on Mass Ave is nice. The feeling is very eclectic with a mishmash of furniture and ornamentation.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... so Valentine's Day means fancy dinner and my wallet getting A LOT thinner....

So what are some great D.C. restaurants priced under $120 for two, excluding drinks?

Last time it was Kinkead's. I'd prefer in the District with pretty good access to the Metro.

Any ideas? Thanks!

:thumbsup:

So what are some great D.C. restaurants priced under $120 for two, excluding drinks? :rofl:

Last time it was Kinkead's. I'd prefer in the District with pretty good access to the Metro.

You might try the Taberna del Alabardero on I Street near 17th. It's outstanding. I'll have to double-check the prices, as it's been a while since I have been there. It's very romantic, though.

A couple of others to consider.... The Tabard Inn, downtown near N Street, is very, very romantic. The food can either be wonderful or off that day. One never knows. The Bistrot du Coin on Connecticut is a lot of fun, but it's not exactly the place for a quiet romantic dinner. One you might consider is La Chaumiere on M Street in Georgetown. They have a fireplace too!

awesome thanks! I'll have to look into those...

Being from Richmond, the g/f always really enjoys Tobacco Company and Old Original Bookbinders.

Maybe to refine my request... are there places that have a great steak, lobster, crab, salmon, shrimp?

Once again, thanks! I really appreciate this!

One of the classic DC steak houses is Sam and Harry's on 19th Street (near M) downtown. I haven't yet visited the Caucus Room (not far from the MCI Center- or the Verizon Center), but I have heard good things about it. There are a couple of good fish places near Dupont Circle- Johnny's Half Shell and Pesce on P Street, but they aren't exactly the sort of place I'd think of for a romantic dinner. Avoid- at all cost- the gigantic fish houses on the waterfront. For steak again, there's Charlie Palmer's on Capitol Hill, but you are talking big $$$ there. Another Capitol Hill alternative I have heard good things about is an old standby cvalled the Monocle.

• 3 weeks later...

I braved the elements and went into the city on Saturday. Went to the National Gallery for the Cezanne exhibit and the Washington Garden Show and to "Vidalia" for dinner. I had thought that it was more like "Georgia Brown's", but I would call it Nouveau French using some Southern ingredients. It was very good and I will certainly go back there. It, for me, would have to be a special occasion restaurant. I don't know that I make enough money to pay ~$300 for two everytime that I go out. It was my other half's birthday and Valentines, so it was well worth it.

I like Rosemary's Thyme Bistro, on 18th St. NW between Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan. I would consider the menu to be Mediterranean, with some Italian and Creole thrown in for good measure. I know that sounds odd, but everything I have ever had there has been amazing. If you go before 7:30, wine bottles are half price. Even if you don't go during happy hour, the menu prices are very reasonable (especially considering the charm and atmosphere inside). I highly recommend it for those of you in the area.

When I think about things I miss most from my time living in DC, Rosemary's Thyme is near the top of the list!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived