building by k2 urban corp

laneyj34

does anyone know what the lot next to rallys on CC NE just north of 90 is going to be? there is a sign up that says k2 urban corp is going to build there. i had not seen anything about this on the board and was wondering if anyone knew what it is going to be. sorry if this has alredy been posted.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting the info about the new K2 location, laneyj34! I love their other work around Tallahassee, and am excited to hear about a new development. I wonder what this could be. As far as I know, K2 has only done residential development in the past, but that's a commercial area, right?

I called over there today and found that they are in the early planning stages for a mixed-used residential and commercial development on 35 acres. The development will begin with the residential area, which is in "final stages of planning" now.

The area fronting Cap Cir will be retail, with a new-urbanism style (park-like plaza with fountains and outdoor seating, etc).

Behind it will be residences, presumably with their normal K2 style, within walking distance from the retail area. They are hoping for coffee shop, grocery, and the such in the retail area.

It will not be a strip mall (emphasis theirs).

The development will begin with the residential area, which is in "final stages of planning" now.

I live not far from there and sometimes walk the dog on the "Goose Pond Trail" pavement that connects Miccosukee to Mahan. I wonder if the K2 Urbancorp residential development intends to back up to this pavement, which is great for walking and biking and which would provide a nice buffer between the residences and the numerous office parks to the other side - Phillips Road, Riggins Road, E. Plaza Dr., Mahan Center Blvd.

Thanks for the scoop there thetoolman! That explains why there is a K2 sign and an Advantis sign on the property. I look forward to see some renderings of this project. K2 is my favorite developer in town and it will be very interesting to see how they handle commercial.

Hey P_McLane is Goose Pond Trail now open between Micco. & Mahan? I noticed for quite a while, it was closed...at least from access at Micco.

I called over there today and found that they are in the early planning stages for a mixed-used residential and commercial development on 35 acres. The development will begin with the residential area, which is in "final stages of planning" now.

The area fronting Cap Cir will be retail, with a new-urbanism style (park-like plaza with fountains and outdoor seating, etc).

Behind it will be residences, presumably with their normal K2 style, within walking distance from the retail area. They are hoping for coffee shop, grocery, and the such in the retail area.

Good investigative work there thetoolman! That's the kind of stuff that helps us stay a few steps ahead of everyone. Last I heard, there were plans for a Jaguar and Land Rover dealership in the vicinity and I've yet to hear wether those plans are still moving along. But this is great news for Capital Circle. Capital Circle has long been my favorite road in Tallahassee, and the NE portion of it is beautiful... I wish the whole city could look like that. Its great to hear that K2 is in the final stages of design for this project aswell. Did you know someone that works over there, or were you doing some good ol' investigative work?

Thanks alot man!

taurean, does this mean that the jag and land rover dealership will not be going up, or was it just supposed to go up somewhere in the area of mahan and CC? id love for our town to have those dealerships.

I'm with you Laney, and I've been searching hard for the articles that mentioned them. The only activity I've seen go thru permitting with regard to car dealerships is Mazda on the other side of Captial Circle (NW), Tallahassee DCJ (Dodge Chrystler Jeep), which is currently under construction, and the New Toyota/Lexus dealership operating under the name Rossman. I'm not sure if Legacy will be awarded the Lexus point, which is why they're probably holding out on their plans to build their store, which would be located directly across the street from the current store... stupid move in my opinion. The current store is only 10 years old, if that.

This is all I can find on the dealership so far

BizBuzz Mid-2003

Tallahasseeans love their luxury cars. One Georgia businessman has taken notice. So much so, thats he's bringing another dealership to town --- Jaguar/Land Rover of Tallahassee. The project proposes a 17,733-square-foot dealership on 4.42 acres at the intersection of Exeter Road and Capital Circle Northeast. The dealership would sit just south of University Chevrolet. But when the project will get under way is not known. It could be in the next five to six months.

Tallahassee Jaguar/Land Rover

Location.jpg

Acres: 4.42

Building Sq.Ft.: 17,733

Facade: Glass

Capacity: 80 Vehicles

Test Drive: 220-foot test track

Owner: Frank Lawrence

Notes: One display area will be a rock pile facing Capital Circle. It will have a vehicle suspended in the air and spinning on an axis. 32-foot-high Land Rover tower at the entrance. The Land Rover entrance will be on the front right, and the Jaguar entrance on the front left.

That's all I can gather for this one.

Sweet, thanks for the details on the Jag/land rover dealership Taurean...... I wanna know more about the Toyota/Lexus Dealer....... IS this going to be a seperate dealership from Legacy? Maybe we will start to see some in town competition!! thats good for prices :)

Legacy will still have the Toyota, but there is no guarntee they will be awarded the Lexus point. It takes alot to get a Lexus store, in terms of quality business operations, finances, and owner reputation. One can assume the store could be awarded to the current owners of the Toyota dealership, but there could always be a dark horse.

From your map TJ, the Jag/LR dealership does not appear to be on the same property as the K2 development. It appears to be more to the north. For some reason, I had it in my head that this thing was dead, but I'm not sure why. I've written the woman that handles all the biz news in the Democrat several times, I'll fire a short note over to her now and ask if she knows anything.

What exactly is this Lexus Point that you speak of?

I'm in the camp that finds all car dealerships unsightly even the high end ones and wish they would corral them all in a strip on the west side of town. I hate how they seem to be spreading all over the city. My dislike of dealerships may spring from the fact that when I worked as a City Planner in Boca Raton, we actually did not allow car dealerships. Now we could not out right forbid them, but the city put zoning requirements in place that made it impossible to have a dealership. When you crossed the city line out of Boca and into Delray, there sat all the car dealerships. These restrictions included such things as an 8' concrete wall surrounding the property (therefore you couldn't see the cars from the road) not permitting the large overhead lights that dealerships love and the forbidding the microphone type speakers they use to communicate w/the service areas and such. I am in no way advocating these type of restrictions for Tally, just stating why I think I find them a blight on the landscape, yes even a Lexus one. :)

While I've seen many dealerships I really enjoy looking at, I completely understand your point, Poonther. I think the dealers are moving to where the money is which is why we've been seeing a move toward the east side of town. I'd like to see a "Car Strip" in Tallahassee on a cleaned up West Tennessee Street. I think its against the law to have some of those vehicles parked on the right-of-way as they often are. And I find it distracting the tactics some dealerships use to lure customers to the parking lot. In my few short months as a car salesman at Legacy Toyota, we had to each day go out and tie balloons to cars, and we always had cars parked on the grass in front of the store. I hated it, but who was I, but a mere salesperson, to complain. Sure I don't work there anymore, but I don't much care to communicate with the management of that store or any other about their Code violations... I think that's the city's job. But the "Car Strip" is something we could use to really boost the economy in Tallahassee. It would be very attractive to have all dealers in one location, all with very neat lots, on a creative looking strip of road with chekerd intersections!

Man this gal is good and quick too!

Her name is Juana Jordan and she writes for the biz section of the Tally Democrat. She's always been extremely friendly and helpful to me. Here's what she just told me about the Jag/LR dealership:

"No, I haven't heard anything new. Here is the last that I printed on Jan. 9 2005.

It appears as though that new Jaguar/Land Rover dealership project has been scrapped --- at least by its previously reported owner. Tallahassee planning and zoning officials say the project, which would have been built at Exeter Road and Capital Circle Northeast --- just south of University Chevrolet --- hasn't moved forward since its site plan approval last year.The project's backer, Augusta, Ga., businessman Frank Lawrence, has sold the property, according to Moore Bass Consulting officials who were doing the engineering work for dealership. So as of now, there's nothing new on the drawing board.

I understand that the project was so expensive that Lawrence was no longer interested in pursuing it. I'll keep my ear to the ground. And if you hear something else, please let me know."

Archived